How is U2 not up for best band and best album at the Irish Music Awards?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Yahweh

Rock n' Roll Doggie
All I can say to that is what a sham, and a shame too absolutely pathetic on the organizers to leave them out.

I dont know maybe it wasnt but they arent nominated in any categories....Didnt make sense to me.

okay. lol. Maybe they werent eligible. Maybe the Irish prefer other bands and songs this year. Its not compulsory for U2 to be nominated in Irish awards just because their an Irish band.

Last edited:
I think its garbage myself if it wasnt for U2 and what U2 has done for Irish music in general to bring it to the forfront most of these bands wouldnt exist and if they really did write better music then the stuff on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb I would like to hear it.

Infact I will go have a quick listen to these bands so I can have an opinion on what theyve done that is so great this year.

Yahweh said:
I think its garbage myself if it wasnt for U2 and what U2 has done for Irish music in general to bring it to the forfront most of these bands wouldnt exist.

Possibly but thats no reason for them to be nominated year after year. The nominations for any award should be based solely on the musical contribution of the artists during the time period defined by the competition.

Yahweh said:

and if they really did write better music then the stuff on How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb I would like to hear it.

It looks like the Meteors are industry based awards. Are the nominees selected on sales figures? I have no idea, Im just guessing.

I think it is a matter of the album not coming out in time to qualify. Looking back, U2 cleaned up at the 2002 ceremonies but only got two awards in 2001. Perhaps U2 isn't nominated for best band and Bono for best singer this year because so many Irish bands and artists are coming up and U2 has been off the radar for a while. Even though it would be nice for U2 to win at all the awards shows all the time, it's nice to see that there are so many more Irish bands out there and that U2 is no longer the token Irish band.

If it was based on sales figures U2 would clean it up because it was the best selling album of last year in Ireland even for the short amount of time it was out for.

None the less I would like at least an explanation of how these artists were came up with :)

Maybe It had something to do with Bono stating that they wearnt an Irish band recently, politics can play a big factor in these awards.

Maybe they just want to give other bands a chance. After all, I don't think anyone on that island would think there's any other bigger Irish band around. :)

Yahweh said:

Maybe It had something to do with Bono stating that they wearnt an Irish band recently, politics can play a big factor in these awards.

Did Bono say that? Jeez, I hope not.

As regards the awards, probably they just want to give newer bands a chance.

You know...U2 has had their day. Everyone knows who they are. We all love them...lots of people love them. They're still making semi-great music and putting on great shows. If the industry figures that maybe there needs to be another great Irish band...then so be it. It doesn't magically make U2 go away.

Has anyone yet found the criteria on what must be done to merit a nomination?

Also, perhaps part of the problem is that if U2 are nominated, that might kill the competition.

I dont think U2 would agree with people saying that theyve had their day either, if U2 truely believed they had nothing left to prove to people they would have and could have retired a long time ago.

Back
Top Bottom