How has HTDAAB aged for you?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LemonMelon

More 5G Than Man
I was going to make a straight "what do you like/hate about Bomb" thread, but I like this better.

When Bomb came out, I remember so many people pleased with what they were hearing. It's a known fact that the majority of users here at interference prefer HTDAAB over ATYCLB (this has been proven from countless polls and threads discussing the two), but at the time, the reaction was more along the lines of "Wow...thank God they recovered from that! :ohmy: " Plus, many of the critics gave it a lapdance or three (just look at metacritic; a 79, the same as the recent Shins album).

However, over the last few years (damn, has it been that long? :huh: ) there has been a great cooling towards the record. This may have been from overplaying it, or it may just seem that way because more people are coming out of the woodwork to speak their dislike for it.

I remember the day it leaked (wow, those were the days :cute: ). It was in the morning, and my best friend had spent the weekend hanging out at my place. The album had leaked the night before and I didn't know about it, so when I woke up early the next morning, there was a whole treasure trove of songs to dig into. We spent the whole morning and into the afternoon downloading each song, one by one. He was a new convert to U2ism, who had been waiting for the album excitedly thanks to Vertigo, and I had been a fan for 2-3 years, so this was an early Christmas for me.

My reaction to all that I heard? "My God...they did it again! :ohmy: "

His reaction? "The only thing I didn't enjoy about that album was the title...:drool: "

HTDAAB has lost a tiny bit of its original luster for me, but that's probably because I've played it 40-50 or maybe even 60 times...plus, after hearing the songs live, the album versions will always be inferior. :drool: Still, it's an amazing album. Plus, I've found myself appreciating some of the songs I originally hated, like One Step Closer and Original Of The Species.

It's not U2's best album, and it's not their most experimental, but it is their most consistent since the early 90's, IMO. The lyrics feel earnest to me, and far more personal than many of the lyrics on ATYCLB prove to be.

I still can't figure out what all the recent hatred is about, and I don't think I ever will. :|

Now, I would like you all to, with great detail and thought, tell me how your opinion has changed on it. I won't give you a hard time for disagreeing with me, and I don't want this to turn into a HTDAAB vs. ATYCLB thread, since that's not what it is intended for. I know I'm playing with fire by making a thread like this, but I think it's worth it. :wink:

Last edited:
When I first heard Bomb, I thought it was amazing. That feelings lasted about a month. Maybe a little longer. The tour came and went, and while I still liked the songs, the album really didn't do anything for me. The main problem is that the production is awful. Same reason I dislike Pop.

Now, I rarely ever listen to Bomb. The ATYCLB comparisons I think are a little ridiculous. In my opinion, ATYCLB trumps Bomb in just about every way imaginable. ATYCLB is my favorite U2 album, HTDAAB is 3rd from the bottom for me. I feel it's easily one of their weakest album. The songs were there. They had potential to be great. I think if Eno and Lanois had worked on this album from the start we would have had another masterpiece. Maybe even an album that outshined ATYCLB.

The fact that Fast Cars isn't really an official album track (it's not on all versions, all you Europeans don't jump down my throat here), and that they left off Mercy (IMO, the strongest track of the lot) shows you how misdirected the whole project was. The Thomas sessions were obviously a disaster, and it's hard to recover from something like that. So maybe we were lucky to get an album at all? But maybe we would have been better off if they had scrapped the project altogether and waiting until say, 2006 to release an ATYCLB follow-up that stood up to the highlights of their career. Maybe they could have even created the best album of their career.

But that's all speculation and I'm running off on a tangent. The point is, I'm not too crazy about HTDAAB now. :)

the whole album has grown on me...ever since i've been PLAYING the songs, it comes to me more straight at the heart musically and lyrically. For me HTDAAB is a very personal album that relates to everyone in a different way. There isnt just one message from the songs, its an interpretation in millions of ways. I've grown used to A Man and a Woman basically relating to heartbreak and relationships, and One Step Closer relating to tough times i've been having (especially the "standing on an island" line that just hits the heart) I have no complaints, I dont feel i've overplayed it, and I feel theres so much more to discover from it. I do believe they deserved their due with this album, and i'm glad it got the good publicity it did.

Still my favorite. All of U2's other albums smell like shit to me. After this album Zooropa and POP sounded even worse to me. When I listen to those albums my IQ drops even further. HTDAAB is the greatest album ever made. I wish ATYCLB didn't even exist. I'm so ashamed of this album it bugs me to no end that it was even made before HTDAAB.

gherman said:
Still my favorite. All of U2's other albums smell like shit to me. After this album Zooropa and POP sounded even worse to me. When I listen to those albums my IQ drops even further. HTDAAB is the greatest album ever made. I wish ATYCLB didn't even exist. I'm so ashamed of this album it bugs me to no end that it was even made before HTDAAB.

:eyebrow:

It was my favorite when it came out. Yeah, things have cooled somewhat, but I do still love it.

Before HTDAAB came out I would have told you that POP was their best album and that, while there was a lot that I liked about ATYCLB, ATYCLB was their weakest.

I think that ATYCLB has fallen even farther down in my opinion, but POP has also dropped somewhat. I love the great songs on POP, but the mediocre ones seem even more mediocre too me at this point. If you ask me today, I'd call Achtung their best.

But I am extremely excited about what will be coming next. The live performances on the last tour were stellar. Window in the Skies was great....

I just hope we get the new album soon. It's been 3 years already...

i was positively surprised that they could continue the fine song writing of atyclb. i listened a lot to it during the first months.

now i hardly ever listen to it. and while i sometimes still feel like wanting to hear a track from atyclb, that hardly ever happens with the songs on htdaab.

it hasnt aged as nicely as atyclb, because it lacks the highlights that atyclb has.

I "used" to like it...but its been almost an entire year since I've listened to it.

To me musically and lyrically the album is a let down[:drool: ]

I prefer the alternate versions of the songs.... to the ones found on the album:|

my best "personal" album. It's just amazing, like the other U2 albums which every each one of them had something special, this one has this "personal" special feature that keeps me playing it again and again althouh don't like some of the rhytm like in A Man and a Women but all of it is special. It's a bomb :)!
-FCA

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:
I prefer the alternate versions of the songs.... to the ones found on the album:|

I'm starting to be able to understand this more and more. The album versions and alternate versions are different animals entirely, yet comparable. I find myself preferring the album versions on most occasions, but there's a certain joy I get from hearing Bono let his hair down on the alt. ABOY or hear the different verse of SYCMIOYO.

I still think they're fools for ignoring so many of the demos/finished songs that had such great potential:

Fast Cars/Xanax & Wine
Flower Child
Mercy
Love You Like Mad

:sad:

LemonMelon said:

I'm starting to be able to understand this more and more. The album versions and alternate versions are different animals entirely, yet comparable. I find myself preferring the album versions on most occasions, but there's a certain joy I get from hearing Bono let his hair down on the alt. ABOY or hear the different verse of SYCMIOYO.

:sad:

I love the alternate version of SYCMIOYO...it doesn't have that cheesy
And it's you when I look in the mirror
And it's you when I don't pick up the phone
:yuck:

the alternate version of ABOY has
much better lyrics than the one on the album...intellectual tortoise
:rolleyes:

native son is so much better than "hello hello I'm at a place called vertigo"

Last edited:
xaviMF22 said:

I love the alternate version of SYCMIOYO...it doesn't have that cheesy
:yuck:

the alternate version of ABOY has
much better lyrics than the one on the album...intellectual tortoise
:rolleyes:

native is so much better than "hello hello I'm at a place called vertigo"

The chorus of SYCMIOYO isn't cheesy, at least not to me. :shrug: It sounds empty there without it. Plus, I like hearing Edge sing. :)

I like both ABOY's for different reasons...I might like the alt. better not because of the lyrics, but because it doesn't have that annoying double-layer vocal thing. :yuck:

But I'll have to disagree about Native Son...the lyrics don't fit the music at all. :huh: The lyrics sound like another Bullet to me, but the music sounds like a rockin' good time. Though I must admit, I do enjoy the "Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee". Bono still has some pipes. :shifty:

the one track that does something for me is Crumbs..I like it.. it is not very good track, but it isn't bad either:wink:

xaviMF22 said:
the one track that does something for me is Crumbs..I like it.. it is not very good track, but it isn't bad either:wink:

I thought you never heard HTDAAB?! :wink:

(see other thread):

It's aged just fine. I don't listen to it as much, but that's just the natural order of things. Albums come out and are at the top of the playlist, and then other albums by other exciting bands come out and vie for airplay.

Even though I don't listen to the songs as often, I probably like them about as much. It's one of my favorite albums.

They say you can't wear out a cd, but I have with HTDAAB. When it first came out I played it non stop. Like alot of their songs, a few on this album have special meaning to me. SYCMIOYO, I would swear he wrote that about me and my mother, there is no comparison to hearing it live, I cried each time I heard him hit the operetic part. To me the whole album meant they still sounded as good as in the 80's if not better.

i think the album flow was a little rough compared to their previous albums, but songs like SYCMIOYO, COBL, and OOTS will always some of my favorite all-time U2 songs.

in the big picture, i'd stick this album right in the middle, behind all of their 90's albums, and The Joshua Tree, probably tied with The Unforgettable Fire.

For me it took me time to get into this album... Just to get to know the songs. Overall I think it is a very solid album. :up:

Just took my first listen to it since October of last year (I've been on a little break from most of U2's catalogue for a while :wink:).

It's a really solid album. Really good songs with really good melodies. My only real complaints are that the lyrics could use work in places and the songs are a bit too simple for the most part. Throw a few curve balls with the next album, U2.

Really good album overall, though. Definitely in my upper half of favorite U2 albums.

it hasn't aged that well for me, frankly. It was never my favorite, but I liked it a lot in the beginning. Part of that, of course, was just the excitement and fun that goes along with a new U2 album, and the tour that follows.

I think the reason I don't listen to it a lot now is partly because I played it too much at first, and also because I really prefer the live versions of almost all the songs.

LAPOE is probably my favorite, along with COBL, I also like Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, One Step Closer...the rest are either kind of meh (OOTS) or I really really dislike (Yaweh).

It's not because I think u2 is slipping, or that it's not musically up to their standards. I can't honestly say what I don't like about the album as a whole, except that I will echo what was said above. The songs from the "outtakes" are better or have a lot more potential than some of the songs on the actual album. To me that means that there is still greatness in u2, they just didn't quite get there this time.

The OOTS said:
It hasn't aged well for me either. :sad:

Lyrically, it's U2's worst album.
Musically, it is ok.
Bono, where did the poet go???

Bono ate him.

Back
Top Bottom