How far will "Bomb" climb up the charts now?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Bomb will rise up to 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169 ... :wink:

Past experience shows that it will get a big jump. Right now it is off the Top 200, it will certainly jump into the top 50, maybe higher.

I think theres a couple of problems though... 2000 was seen as a big comeback year for U2... this year, from the comments I've read outside of this forum, while 50% praise U2 as the best rock band, 10% don't exactly praise them, but say theres no one better, and 40% think they are old (and therefore can't make music) and the Grammys are irrelevant.

A lot of the people have already made a judgement on this album, and have bought it already if they were going to buy it... for "All that you can't leave behind", I think a lot of people in the public didn't notice the album until the Grammys.

Last edited:
Yeah, I started it before the Grammys, but no hard feelings for this thread.

As for people not liking U2, there's no denying they're the biggest in the world.

Also, ATYCLB sold more before the awards, I think they should see a bigger boost this time around especially with all the media coverage and the Album of the Year win.

bcrt2000 said:
I think theres a couple of problems though... 2000 was seen as a big comeback year for U2... this year, from the comments I've read outside of this forum, while 50% praise U2 as the best rock band, 10% don't exactly praise them, but say theres no one better, and 40% think they are old (and therefore can't make music) and the Grammys are irrelevant.

A lot of the people have already made a judgement on this album, and have bought it already if they were going to buy it... for "All that you can't leave behind", I think a lot of people in the public didn't notice the album until the Grammys.

fortunatly enough criticts don't buy the albums, the people who watched the show and said "maybe i should check this out" do

waynetravis said:

Its #12 on itunes at the moment. :nerd: Not sure what is was before the Grammy wins. :hmm:

impressive, it's higher then Kelly Clarkson and Kayne West on iTunes as well! :)

Not much in Australia!!!!

Might get back into the top 20 in March when they tour.

Australian fans don't even realise that they have released 4 singles from the album, because U2 doesn't get much air play.

I get frustrated when i listen to radio stations or watch music shows. All i have heard this morning is how Mariah Carey didn't win the big awards, not congratulation U2.

Must be time for me to move to Ireland or America or somewhere that gives U2 the time of day.

But at least all concerts have sold out. Thank god for the loyal fans!!!!

It will get a boost, but you have to remember that U2 aren't exactly an unknown band, these Grammys didn't suddenly take their name into millions of previously uncharted households, and HTDAAB is, what, 15 months old? The artists that get the biggest boost are the ones that are either relatively new/'young' and are getting a genuine "I might check this Band X out" reaction, or albums that are only a few months old at the time of the Grammys who get a big "I've been meaning to get that". No-one is going "This U2 band, they might be alright, might check them out" and a huge % of HTDAAB's potential sales have already been exhausted by the time it's been out and all the other attention they've received in the meantime, which has been slowly one by one checking off all the "I've been meaning to get that" candidates.

Compare U2 to Norah Jones. That was a debut album, relatively new at the time of the Grammys, most of the viewing public hadn't heard of her/heard the album. She was in the perfect position to capitalise from that Grammy haul and boom up the charts. U2 are kinda the opposite in a sense.

Last edited:
climbing up the itunes charts to #11. i personally think this is a big deal, itunes deals with a massive amount of purchasing and the top tracks and cd's are doing a lot of volume. itunes also has a lot of younger buyers (see the kind of songs that are in the top 20), compared to the older market on amazon etc...

anyways, hurray for u2!!!!

Earnie Shavers said:
It will get a boost, but you have to remember that U2 aren't exactly an unknown band, these Grammys didn't suddenly take their name into millions of previously uncharted households, and HTDAAB is, what, 15 months old? The artists that get the biggest boost are the ones that are either relatively new/'young' and are getting a genuine "I might check this Band X out" reaction, or albums that are only a few months old at the time of the Grammys who get a big "I've been meaning to get that". No-one is going "This U2 band, they might be alright, might check them out" and a huge % of HTDAAB's potential sales have already been exhausted by the time it's been out and all the other attention they've received in the meantime, which has been slowly one by one checking off all the "I've been meaning to get that" candidates.

Compare U2 to Norah Jones. That was a debut album, relatively new at the time of the Grammys, most of the viewing public hadn't heard of her/heard the album. She was in the perfect position to capitalise from that Grammy haul and boom up the charts. U2 are kinda the opposite in a sense.

I'd disagree.

And here's why.

Well first of all I bought my first U2 album after seeing their performance on TV at the brit awards in 2001.

And my god they cut off until the end of the world early and there was no mysterious ways otherwise I'd of probably bought Achtung Baby at the time as ATYCLB.

But the seed was already in my mind, I heard, With Or Without You, and loved it, didn't find out for a while that U2 had wrote it. Then after that I see the Brit Awards performance. From there I buy the latest album.

And £500 later and I have a lot more U2 stuff.

Actually it's probably a lot more than £500 perfectly honest but there you go.

And U2 see more benefit than most artist's because if people buy this album, and there start delving into their back catalougue. Well we've all been there, you get lost and buy a lot if not all of it.

Here are the Grammy awards effect from 2001, 2002, and 2005.

1. Week before 2001 awards ATYCLB was at #35 with with 49,000 copies sold that week. The week after the Grammy's it jumped to #11 with 85,000 copies in sales. The following week, the first full Monday through Sunday week after the awards, the album was at #15 with 74,000 in sales.

Percent jump the first week after the awards, 75%.

2. Week before 2002 awards, ATYCLB was at #28 with 36,000 copies sold that week. The week after the Grammy awards it jumped to #10 with 81,000 copies sold. The second week it dropped to #17 with 56,000 copies sold.

Percent jump in sales the first week after the awards, 125%

3. Week before 2005 awards, HTDAAB was at #34 with 39,648
copies sold that week. The week after the Grammy awards it jumped to #20 with 56,692 copies sold. The second week it dropped to #41 with 26,532 copies sold.

Percent jump in sales the first week after the awards, 43%.

Remember in the third case, the band only won 3 awards in the minor catagories, and in the previous two cases, they won at least one of the major catagories.

Its hard to predict how well it will do in the coming week, but considering this is U2's biggest Grammy night ever, I think they will sell around 80,000 copies and make it into the top 10 next week, despite the fact that the album is not on the chart at the moment, has been out for over a year now, and only got a 43% increase last year. Another factor that might contribute to lower sales than past wins is of course the fact that album sales all across the board are down from past years.

If it only doubles in sales though, its not going to break 10,000 copies. Also, 80,000 copies is a massive number considering that it sold less than 5,000 copies last week.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
all that you can't leave behind jumped into the top 25 after it won a bunch of grammys, and it didn't even win album of the year.

i would expect how to dismantle an atomic bomb to make a similar jump, if only for a week.

i'm gonna go with #12 on next week's charts.

I think that this is a pretty good ballpark estimate. Time will tell, but I'm certainly curious to see. It will be interesting to keep an eye on, if nothing else.

I also wonder how the album will "improve" relative to the other nominees. It's not like 'Ye and Mariah, hate her though all good souls do, had bad nights, you know?

does any of this help the chances of OOTS being released as a single?

(not in the US, obviously, since we are totally fu****ed in that respect, but anywhere would be sweet!)

i m wondering if bomb cilmbs on european charts as well, for example uk top 40 albums?how do you think?

well bomb is currently in at #8 on iTunes

vertigo has jumped up to #49 on iTunes, it was in the 80s before the grammys... and sometimes has come in at #89, it wasin't in the top 100 before the grammys

also, iTunes has now added a big grammy advertisement linking to all the grammy winners, so that might help sales as well.

in comparison, i don't think many people were impressed with madonna's opening performance... her album, which is only a few months old, is ranked 100th.

i too wasn't impressed with madonna's performance...I take it that was off her new one...

so interesting on all these numbers and the instant effects one can check out now that downloads are so hot. I mean, one can essentially just have itunes send you what you don't already have that won grammys...maybe next year they'll just ask users if they're interested in getting an automatically generated list of the winners in their top categories if they hadn't already ordered them! It sorta makes the grammys more important,doesn't it?

They already have had those compilation cds in stores around grammy time...
When I saw this thread I was thinking the old-fashioned way, and fantasizing about marketing HTDAAB along with AB somehow, as the two have been sometimes thought of together...AB being the wandering/moon/libido album and HTDAAB being the home/son/post-libidinous album?
They probably already do a similar sort of sales pitch with well-established recording artists..."if you like American Idiot; maybe you'd like to buy all the other stuff Green Day has done?"...

cheers!

Back
Top Bottom