How does U2 not get called a Christian band when other bands do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
I listen to Creed, and the lyricist / singer Scott Stapp was raised in a very religious home, and spent a lot of time around the Bible -- so the lyrics he writes are often faith based... not all, but some.

Now, most people called Creed a christian band, like it was a bad thing!

I remember listen to U2 listening to songs like "Wake Up Deadman" "Sunday Bloody Sunday" "Staring At The Sun" -- and those are just a few of the songs to begin with -- Bono writes alot about God, and Jesus -- in the newest song "Yahweh" too -- but U2 isn't regarded as a Christian band -- why is this?

I've often tried to tell people Creed wasn't a Christian band, they just had beliefs -- a lot like U2, Bono/Edge/Larry believe, but Adam doesn't -- and the music itself isn't Christian all together...

So what gives?

I think for the most part, U2 hasn't put out much material that is obvious "God song" material since October. There were God songs here and there... "40," Wake Up Dead Man, IGWSHA, Yahweh....there are many more songs about God, but U2 has always been able to cover them up in a way with metaphors...its not so obvious, unlike a lot of creed songs.

In my mind U2 has went through various stages of relgious belief....for the first few albums up until Joshua Tree they wrote openly God follower type lyrics in the 90s they sort of questioned that and looked for something more...more recently they seem to again be at peace writing follower type songs...but they arent a christian band because I really dont think they fully believe in religon as an organized state.

I think that U2 isn't called a Christian band because they're not a Christian band. Creed is a band that devotes their music to Christianity. U2, on the other hand, weave their faith into some of their songs. There's a difference.

A lot Christians don't have much respect for Bono or U2 (some do). I've had christians tell me they're wolves in sheep clothing and whatever. I think its mostly because Bono has been outspoken about the church's apathy on the aids crisis. Bono also said U2 are not a Christian band, but Christians playing in a band (or something like that)

Christian bands write every song with a Christian message.

I think the label of being a "Christian band" would limit the material U2 could write.

They could never write songs like Wake Up Dead Man where they question God.

They could never write songs like I Still Haven't Found.

They could never write songs like Mysterious Ways for people would find it too sexual.

Their actions would always be put into question and they would ultimately be limited.

By the way Creed always stated that they weren't a Christian band.

Neenie said:
A lot Christians don't have much respect for Bono or U2 (some do). I've had christians tell me they're wolves in sheep clothing and whatever.

:lmao: :lmao:

Pathetic

U2 aren't called a Christian band because they transcend beliefs. Being a Christian band would be too exclusivist for U2, I suspect. In any case, as I recall Bono saying, their music is their fish in the sand, there for those who want to see it and not for those who don't.

And I've read some hysterical hyper-fundamentalist opinions about U2. "No patriotic American Christian should listen to U2 because they swore in a song and wrote Bullet The Blue Sky! Bono is evil because he tries to help cure diseases that are God's punishment on Africans for having sex and believing in tribal gods!"

From Psalm 116....Bono dropped to his knees and recited this during the into to Streets during every concert of the last tour....I think that he is pretty straight forward about his Christian faith.

What can I give back to God for the blessings He’s poured out on me?
I’ll lift high the cup of salvation—a toast to God!
I’ll pray in the name of God;
I’ll complete what I promised God I’d do,
and I’ll do it together with his people.

Yahweh said:
Adam Clayton is an Athest though.

Has he said that recently? I've seen all kinds of statements ranging from "he is non-religious" to "he keeps his religion private" and "he has come to share in the faith of the rest of the band". We know about the rift that developed back in the October days, but that was nearly 25 years ago. A lot of religious changes can happen in 25 years.

Westport said:
From Psalm 116....Bono dropped to his knees and recited this during the into to Streets during every concert of the last tour....I think that he is pretty straight forward about his Christian faith.

ugh! I'm sorry, but that just makes me cringe. :yuck:

Bono believes in God not christianity in the organised way as such, U2 aren't a christian band because they are U2
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who write about nearly everything under the sun, they also do not suck complete and utter balls................

Plus Bono is a rockstar.....................:wink:

Neenie said:
A lot Christians don't have much respect for Bono or U2 (some do). I've had christians tell me they're wolves in sheep clothing and whatever. I think its mostly because Bono has been outspoken about the church's apathy on the aids crisis.

*Sigh*...it so bugs me when people act like that.

Anywho...I don't really consider U2 a "Christian" band simply because while they personally are Christians and all that, a lot of the religious references they use in their songs are ones that can apply to people of any faith, or even non-religious people. And they're willing to look at both the good and the bad aspects of religion, too. Whereas Christian bands usually just focus on their specific religion, and usually just focus on the good parts (at least, that's how it's been from the ones that I've heard songs from, anyway).

And personally, if a band wants to be a Christian one, that's entirely up to them. I don't really care.

Angela

Westport said:

How is that straight forward about Christian faith? Psalms are Old Testament, last time I checked Old Testament isn't strictly a Christian book.:huh:

Bono isn't a Christian in the traditional American way that lots of you guys are, they may sing about God but don't devote their music and thoughts to christianity. Which I think is good. I'd find them less appealing if they were, being an atheist.

ZeroDude said:
Bono believes in God not christianity in the organised way as such, U2 aren't a christian band because they are U2
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! who write about nearly everything under the sun, they also do not suck complete and utter balls................

Plus Bono is a rockstar.....................:wink:

LOL :up:

Axver said:

And I've read some hysterical hyper-fundamentalist opinions about U2. "No patriotic American Christian should listen to U2 because they swore in a song and wrote Bullet The Blue Sky! Bono is evil because he tries to help cure diseases that are God's punishment on Africans for having sex and believing in tribal gods!"

:lmao: :lmao:

Actually I don't know if that makes me want to laugh or cry. :slant:

BonoVoxSupastar said:

How is that straight forward about Christian faith? Psalms are Old Testament, last time I checked Old Testament isn't strictly a Christian book.:huh:

First of all, the Old Testament is a collection of books, not just one book.

Secondly, gah, nevermind.

I think Bono is most straightforward about their christian faith on songs like Sunday, Bloody Sunday and ISHFWILF where the directly mention Jesus and the cross... When you talk about claiming the victory Jesus won on Sunday, Bloody Sunday or "you carried the cross and my shame, you know I believe it" It's pretty obvious your talking about Christianity.
I think most Christians don't realize how spiritualy emphasized some of U2's lyrics and also look at some minor parts of their lifestyle and thats why they're not accepted as a Christian band, which is a good thing really, because U2's message reaches more people than all the other Christian bands put together and it isn't shoved in your face like most of the other ones either.

Those who don't believe that this is a Christian band should hear the bootleg of the last rehearsal before the start of the last tour in Miami...one of the last things that they did was have a minister come forward to pray an bless the tour.

Also, though Psalm 116 is obviously from the old testament, Bono has many times been quoted as saying one of the most important books to come out in the last few years is The Message by Eugene Peterson which is a contemporary translation of the Bible. The verse that he cites is taken word for word from that book.

It doesn't make me cringe.

It makes think.

FullonEdge2 said:

First of all, the Old Testament is a collection of books, not just one book.

Secondly, gah, nevermind.

Oh so technical. For your information at the bookstore you can buy the OT in one 'book', just like you can buy the Bible in one 'book'.

But otherwise you brought so much to the table.

Yes we all know Bono is a believer and has made some amazing ventures into Christianity in his lyrics. But reading a Psalm about giving back to God doesn't make it CLEAR where one stands with Christianity. That act alone wouldn't say anything about his stance on Christianity. Does is say where he stands on religion or anything else regarding that?

Back
Top Bottom