How does U2 not get called a Christian band when other bands do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I remember reading a long time ago that they made a conscious decision not to highlight their religious beliefs. I think it was around the time of the "crisis." So that may be why their religion is not discussed as much as other bands.

They don't get called a Christian band because being a Christian band is not about believing in Christianity or God, it is about preaching Christianity and God, and there is a HUGE difference. U2 rarely if ever does the latter. They(except for Adam) BELIEVE in God and Christianity(in the rawest sense, perhaps not the organized vision of it a lot of people have), but Bono doesn't preach in his lyrics. Hell, some of his best lyrics have been those that QUESTION God and Christianity(IGWSHA, Wake Up Dead Man, Still Haven't Found, Bullet, etc etc etc). People who call bands 'Christian bands' are usually Christians themselves, and therefore those bands are usually bands who preach God and Christianity all the time in their music. But if a band so much as opens the possibility of God not being what you think it is in their lyrics, then those Christians likely won't call them a 'Christian band' anymore. U2 are not in the business of preaching, and songs like ABOY and Yahweh that praise and preach and such are far outnumbered in the U2 catalog by songs like IGWSHA, Wake Up Dead Man, and much more, that question God. That is why they're not referred to as a Christian band.

I don't know...going by album lyrics alone..htdaab is as "christian" as alot of christian rock albums that I know. Seriously, Vertigo references the temptation of Christ and ends by celebrating that "your love is teaching me how to kneel". Miracle Drug asks god "I need you tonight" and the request is answered through a powerful uplifting guitar and the singer in effect quoting the lambs and wolfs passage in the Gospels. Love peace talks about not being easy in prayer and offering hearts to be "broken" all because of you claims that love can make me perfect again...and being born again....yahweh asks god to break his heart.......I listen to christian rock and their are alot of albums in that genre that are far less explictly Christian than u2's latest....

it's all marketing. bands are labeled as "Christian" so they can be sold in Christian bookstores and uninformed parents will let their kids buy anyting from a "sanctioned' bookstore. sadly, the majority of evangelicals find art that explicity references their paradigm of Chrisitianity as the only worthwhile art. u2 has been smart enough to stay away from being labeled as such. the sad part is bands like the 77s, Adam Again, the Choir and Daniel Amos were bands that came out during the 80s that were incredible bands that were never noticed in the mainstream because they had the "Christian" label, but were not "Christian" enough in their lyricas, actions, look, etc. to be fully embraced by the narrow-minded CCM market. today it's quite a bit different. there are more opportunities in the CCM world, but it has now become a place to market an act that's already been proven in the mass market. nothing too original in the CCM world. i'm so glad U2 did all it could to stay away fron the "Christian Band" label.

I attend one of those evangelical mega-churches and i'm in the middle of this subculture that is fascinated by explicit art and "signs" of Christianity. I think it's a reflex reaction to the American culture becoming more secular. They feel comfortable in their bubble, but have trouble being "in the world, but not of the world". it's easier to remain in the bubble. and thank goodness U2 is not part of the bubble or they could have been dealt the same fate as the 77s.

popsadie said:
I don't know...going by album lyrics alone..htdaab is as "christian" as alot of christian rock albums that I know.

I think the difference between many Christian bands and U2 is that while many of U2's songs have Christian interpretations, they can also be interpreted in a variety of other ways. Just look at the variance of opinion on Vertigo - all the way from a shallow, fun song to one about the temptation of Christ! Meanwhile, the typical Christian bands write songs with very narrow interpretations and no room for alternate opinions ... and so often write about the same topic again and again and again. I think that there must be a contest in Christian music: "how many different songs can you write on the same topic of praising God!"

U2 have the guts to actually investigate the darker sides of faith that most if not all believers feel at some point - the doubt (Wake Up Dead Man), the longing to find more, be it truth or Heaven or something else (ISHFWILF), the betrayal of Christ from the less-common perspective of Judas (UTEOTW), et cetera. Today's Christian bands are far too timid to do that. They make their safe music that is guaranteed to sell to the mothers looking to insulate their children in a protective bubble away from the real world.

popsadie said:
I don't know...going by album lyrics alone..htdaab is as "christian" as alot of christian rock albums that I know. Seriously, Vertigo references the temptation of Christ and ends by celebrating that "your love is teaching me how to kneel". Miracle Drug asks god "I need you tonight" and the request is answered through a powerful uplifting guitar and the singer in effect quoting the lambs and wolfs passage in the Gospels. Love peace talks about not being easy in prayer and offering hearts to be "broken" all because of you claims that love can make me perfect again...and being born again....yahweh asks god to break his heart.......I listen to christian rock and their are alot of albums in that genre that are far less explictly Christian than u2's latest....

Nothing christian about the album IMO. We all have our own views on the album,,, Thank " god "

U2.Com: You’ve talked about encouraging the band’s joyfulness. Do you try, consciously, to nurture their spirituality on the record, too?

Steve Lillywhite: It comes through by osmosis, actually. I’d say this is their second most spiritual album - behind October. Yahweh is a gorgeous song. They’re extremely spiritual, and maybe getting more so as they try to remain faithful to their beliefs.

neutral said:

:lmao: :lmao:

Actually I don't know if that makes me want to laugh or cry. :slant:

I agree. Interesting how some people criticize those who help? Beware of those who help the less fortunate. They will tear the Free World down. - I can't even type that without laughing.
It reminds me of a post I saw in a Phish forum (most of them hate U2 I think) and the guy said "That prick Bono, who always uses his status to help other people..."
I was at a loss for words.

Party Boy said:

Just wondering why it makes you cringe?

The calculatedness of it. Plus to me it shouts "oh, look at me! I'm a believer." That's just a complete turn off for me. Hence the cringing.

I can see your point of view Indra...but to me it just gave a different, more definite context to the following song...streets...sort of like the poem he used to recite before streets during the JT tour.

popsadie said:

I agree with your statements about the new album, the album is filled with christianity statements. And that is how I relate to U2 so much, even the songs where he questions God, ( think all of us at one point or another questions does God really exsist) but through his music he just expresses his frustration, but it seems at the end of the songs he always finds God.

indra said:

The calculatedness of it. Plus to me it shouts "oh, look at me! I'm a believer." That's just a complete turn off for me. Hence the cringing.

So Bono can snippet secular poetry or lyrics, as he does regularly, but he can't snippet religious poetry or lyrics? How does that make any sense?

indra said:

How can you look at it like that? So when somebody wins an award or something, and they thank God, do you cringe also? Its just Bono, through music expressing his blessings that God has given him! And it is awesome!

U2's lyrics are meant for everyone whether your christian or not, it breaks the stereotype and it doesn't single out people like most christian bands do.

I suppose when it comes to u2, we see what we want to see (or hear). I hear references to the temptation of christ and celebration of kneeling and think of prayer. I hear requests to break my heart and think of the necessity to have a broken and open heart before god. I hear "you can make me perfect again" and think about salvation and grace. Still...the music is joyous and contagious regardless of the lyrics.....and the 'you' is still open enough to be seen as a love song....

"I went looking for sprits, I found alcohol. I went looking for souls, and I bought some style. I wanted to meet God, but you sold me religion." - Bono

I don't think they are a Christian band.

What is a christian band I wonder. The original point of the questioner was wondering why u2 got away with the amount of religious references in their songs while other bands haven't. Personally, I think its partially because they were a band before contemporary christian music really was an industry. Perhaps if they had formed now rather than 28 yrs ago...they probably would have been put in that category.

Last edited:
popsadie said:
What is a christian band I wonder. The original point of the questioner was wondering why u2 got away with the amount of religious references in their songs while other bands haven't. Personally, I think its partially because they were a band before contemporary christian music really was an industry. Perhaps if they had formed now rather than 28 yrs ago...they probably would have been put in that category.

I think if U2 were new on the scene today they would fight being put in the Christian rock category because they would see it as too restricting. And even if they did put themselves in that category, a lot of people in the Christian rock community would turn against them very quickly because they curse and drink and sometimes write songs questioning God like Wake Up Dead Man - or write songs with erotic lyrics like Do You Feel Loved.

Axver said:

So Bono can snippet secular poetry or lyrics, as he does regularly, but he can't snippet religious poetry or lyrics? How does that make any sense?

I didn't comment on his use of secular poetry or lyrics.

macphisto23 said:

How can you look at it like that? So when somebody wins an award or something, and they thank God, do you cringe also? Its just Bono, through music expressing his blessings that God has given him! And it is awesome!

"How can you look at it like that?"

Well... it's just how I see it. I could ask you how you could not look at it that way.

"So when somebody wins an award or something, and they thank God, do you cringe also?"

Often.

"Its just Bono, through music expressing his blessings that God has given him! And it is awesome!"

If you're happy with it, that's great (and I'm not being sarcastic, or telling you that you are wrong). I see it differently and it makes me cringe, but if you (and anyone else) finds it wonderful and inspiring, that is fine.

I don't say my opinion is the only correct one, or that anyone one else should agree. But it is what I feel. So there you go.

Last edited:
That is one thing that U2 have never done and i am grateful for that they have not thanked God for winning an award such as a Grammy or a Brit award one of very few people not to do it and im glad.

Yahweh said:
That is one thing that U2 have never done and i am grateful for that they have not thanked God for winning an award such as a Grammy or a Brit award one of very few people not to do it and im glad.

When U2 are at the end of their career, Bono should get up and say "thank God we never thanked God". That would really appeal to my sense of humour.

^
Sarcasm at it's finest

unosdostres14 said:
"I went looking for sprits, I found alcohol. I went looking for souls, and I bought some style. I wanted to meet God, but you sold me religion." - Bono

I don't think they are a Christian band.

Great quote

I remember at the MTV Europe awards a few years ago they all lined up one after the other to thank Jesus for their awards - Britney, Whitney Houston, etc. Like Britney Spears and Whitney Houston are great exemplars of the Christian life, I don't think so somehow.

softhackle said:
it's all marketing. bands are labeled as "Christian" so they can be sold in Christian bookstores and uninformed parents will let their kids buy anyting from a "sanctioned' bookstore. sadly, the majority of evangelicals find art that explicity references their paradigm of Chrisitianity as the only worthwhile art. u2 has been smart enough to stay away from being labeled as such. the sad part is bands like the 77s, Adam Again, the Choir and Daniel Amos were bands that came out during the 80s that were incredible bands that were never noticed in the mainstream because they had the "Christian" label, but were not "Christian" enough in their lyricas, actions, look, etc. to be fully embraced by the narrow-minded CCM market. today it's quite a bit different. there are more opportunities in the CCM world, but it has now become a place to market an act that's already been proven in the mass market. nothing too original in the CCM world. i'm so glad U2 did all it could to stay away fron the "Christian Band" label.

I attend one of those evangelical mega-churches and i'm in the middle of this subculture that is fascinated by explicit art and "signs" of Christianity. I think it's a reflex reaction to the American culture becoming more secular. They feel comfortable in their bubble, but have trouble being "in the world, but not of the world". it's easier to remain in the bubble. and thank goodness U2 is not part of the bubble or they could have been dealt the same fate as the 77s.

Apologies for straying slightly off-topic, but FYI, The Choir has a new album coming out next month. For already fans, this is great news.

For those of you who haven't heard of them, check them out. They're the only band who's lyrics come close to what Bono writes, in terms of a spiritual theme from a human perspective (as opposed to the christian themes from a christian perspective of most "christian rock" bands).

www.thechoir.net

Back to your regularly scheduled debate...

Back
Top Bottom