How do you think Bono will react to the Pope's death?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
BigMacPhisto said:
Going out and saying homosexual acts are WRONG shows intolerance

I disagree there. You can believe an act is wrong without being intolerant. For example, I believe homosexual acts are wrong, but if someone wants to live a homosexual lifestyle, then I'll quite happily tolerate that - it's their life, not mine, and if they believe what they are doing is right, then who am I to force my opinion on them? If they want to know what I think, I'll tell them, but I'm not going to act intolerant towards them just because we disagree about an act that ultimately doesn't harm anyone.

And I can imagine U2 playing MLK or dedicating 40 to the Pope.

It's undoubtedly intolerance though to deny them of the right of marriage, and I still think that going out and saying something like homosexuality is wrong isn't different from telling a Muslim that their faith is wrong.

This is starting to turn into something that belongs in another forum. We're supposed to be discussing how BONO will react to the Pope's death, not how we feel about the Catholic Church or the Pope's positions on controversial issues.

Having said that, as long as we ARE discussing it, I'd like combat all this well-wishing to say that this Pope has done more damage to the world than any other religious leader in a long time. Who's weeping for all the suffering that occured on his watch?

What's a bigger sin, birth control or letting millions to die of AIDS by not allowing birth control? Homosexuality, or the violence and intolerance TOWARDS homosexuality. By "hating the sin and loving the sinner" they are causing nearly as much damage. Also, his weak action about the rampant child molestation speaks volumes. We all know the Pope hasn't done close to enough in regards to punishing and condemming these scumbag priests.

As Sinead O'Connor once said, fight the real enemy. I'll reserve my judgement for the next Pope, but this guy won't be missed by many, including myself. Look at the numbers of people that have stopped practicing Catholicism. By keeping the church in the stone age he has lost touch with the realities of the modern world and people are looking elsewhere for their solace.

You're damn right Crumbs From Your Table was partly directed at the Catholic Church. It may have been an honor for Bono to meet the Pope but he's also very outspoken about not having much use for organized religion.

laz

lazarus said:
This is starting to turn into something that belongs in another forum. We're supposed to be discussing how BONO will react to the Pope's death, not how we feel about the Catholic Church or the Pope's positions on controversial issues.

Yeah, there's actually a thread about this in FYM here where a more...political discussion about this is going on and would be better there.

Last edited:
Just to let y'all know - Bono was on CNN Headline New's "Showbiz Tonight" program tonight talking about the Pope.

He really didn't reveal any new info about how he feels about the Pope, but if you want to see it, the program will be back on at 12:00 am.

Check it out - Bono is on in the first ten minutes. :wink:

i think Bono might mention how the Pope asked to try on his Fly shades when he met him... a "rockstar" Pope... ;)

i also think he'll dedicate a song: 'yahweh' or 'one', perhaps. i was thinking about 'mlk', but does bono really want the pope's "dream" to be "realized"? if so, then no condoms will ever be distributed in Africa.... we shall see, i guess.

BigMacPhisto said:

Why not? All the Catholic church does is take money it seems........they should donate more to causes.

What has the Pope done for the world? He just says things.......I can say "I oppose the Iraq war", but at least I'll go out in the streets and protest.

Regardless of your personal opinions, you should keep your mouth shut about it right now. Show some fucking respect.

ending communism in Poland.

opposing war.

opposing social injustice

man of the poor.

international citizen.

man of god.

Pope John Paul II

lazarus said:

Having said that, as long as we ARE discussing it, I'd like combat all this well-wishing to say that this Pope has done more damage to the world than any other religious leader in a long time. Who's weeping for all the suffering that occured on his watch?

What's a bigger sin, birth control or letting millions to die of AIDS by not allowing birth control? Homosexuality, or the violence and intolerance TOWARDS homosexuality. By "hating the sin and loving the sinner" they are causing nearly as much damage. Also, his weak action about the rampant child molestation speaks volumes. We all know the Pope hasn't done close to enough in regards to punishing and condemming these scumbag priests.

As Sinead O'Connor once said, fight the real enemy. I'll reserve my judgement for the next Pope, but this guy won't be missed by many, including myself. Look at the numbers of people that have stopped practicing Catholicism. By keeping the church in the stone age he has lost touch with the realities of the modern world and people are looking elsewhere for their solace.

You're damn right Crumbs From Your Table was partly directed at the Catholic Church. It may have been an honor for Bono to meet the Pope but he's also very outspoken about not having much use for organized religion.

laz

:up: :up:

As someone raised Catholic and now a practising atheist (it takes LOTS and LOTS of practice ;-) ) , I am very respectful of whatever beliefs the various members of U2 have. It does not necessarily mean that the audience of U2 needs to share those beliefs or feel they need to take on those beliefs, just cos Bono does.

He may have feelings re: the Pope. Frankly, that's his business.

Brentos40 said:
The Church does not oppose gays. The Church loves everyone. The Church says homosexual ACTS are wrong, because it's sex outside of marriage, etc. Learn some Theology, my ignorant friends.

Um...but if gay marriages aren't allowed (and they aren't, Especially in the Catholic Church, as well as most other religions) how exactly is one supposed to have sex INSIDE a marriage?

(I know, I know, it's off the subject of the thread, but that is just such a ludicrous statement.... :mad: )

They will play a song dedicated to him, and then it will be over. A new Pope will be instilled and life will go on.

As for being jack-asses toward the Catholic church: the same criticisms could be paid to every organized religion on earth, so let's hold everyone to the same standards. Ehhh? Personally, I don't think the Pope's death is anything to be sad about. After all, of all the people on this planet, he's most likely to enjoy heaven, right? He's probably been ready for death since the day he joined the church.

MsMofoGone said:

No PLEASE !!! :yell:
Don't give Bono any ideas about playing that song! :down:
Crumbs is one of the best and most important Atomic Bomb songs. It needs to be heard live. They need to start playing it, Pope's death or not.

This is what I found on u2tours.com....

'40' is dedicated to Pope John Paul II, who is reported to be near death tonight. Bono kisses his rosary and hangs it over the microphone as he leaves the stage.

Zootlesque said:
shutdown... I'm curious to know about the inspiration behind your name.. :hmm:

Well, I'm sure you'd love to hear a great story, but I hate to break it to you, there isn't one.

I was a previous member of Interference prior to the pay aspect of the forum. I hadn't been around the boards for quite some time and when I returned and tried to sign in, my old name was gone, but my email was recognized as a current member.

So, somehow, when I tried to obtain my password to sign in, I was assigned the name shutdown. It was not my choice, but I don't mind it.

Sorry, I couldn't give you a cool meaning or story.

Zootlesque said:

:laugh: That's okay. I was wondering who the hell would give themselves a name like that!

Whatever it was that randomly chose that name for me must be the same program that chooses those Ticketmaster words that you have to type in for security purposes.

Bono said this tonight:

"The best front man the Catholic Church ever had. A great show man, a great communicator of ideas even if you didn't agree with all of them, a great friend to the world’s poor which is how I got to meet him. Without John Paul II its hard to imagine the Drop the Debt campaign succeeding as it did."

2k10no

Back
Top Bottom