How do you like the idea of U2 covering new old songs?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jarvis

Babyface
U2 have covered old songs that appeared in published form such as Helter Skelter, All Along The Watchtower, Unchained Melody, Paint It Black, Fortunate Son, Neon Lights, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Dancing Barefoot, Everlasting Love, The Saints Are Coming and so on and so forth. But what all these songs have in common (although I may be wrong in this), is that all of them pre-dates U2.

However, U2 is a different animal of a band and perhaps the onyl one of its kind. They have been around for three decades now and have managed to stay relevant. We are now in an era when people are actually starting to cover 80s and 90s songs and make hits out of it. Wouldn't it be nice for U2 to cover songs from that era also even though it is not an era that predates U2? Of course I don't think it should be album material. But it would make great b-side or non-single material.

As a matter of fact, Bono sort of covered himself already with the 20th anniversary edition of Do They Know It's Christmas. So what songs from the U2-era (which means 1980 up to perhaps mid 90s) would be cool to see U2 cover? And I mean do a studio or recorded version and not just sing snippets of the song in concert.

I'd love to read your ideas and perhaps an explanation why you chose the song. Personally, I'd like to see U2 cover some of the songs from Echo and the Bunnymen (such as Bring On The Dancing Horses) and New Order (Regret, Love Vigilantes), but that's just me.

I think U2 covering something contemporary rockish from the 80s or 90s would be a bit of a dismissal of their own work from that decade.

i just love the covers made by u2, they seem to add to the original song exactly what the song missed in it's first form :wink:

i'd like to see u2 cover some songs from aerosmith, given the fact that aerosmith is covering soon some u2 songs. i can imagine bono singing ''light inside'' :drool: :drool: :drool:

If U2 did a cover, I would hope that they would do so for charity, which they've done in the past. I think Saints was for charity. Same thing with Night and Day. U2's done a lot of covers though, so I think the novelty is gone.

I think u2 should still cover Wake up by arcade fire despite the recent article from Win " im too big for my boots " Butler

Canadiens1160 said:
I think U2 covering something contemporary rockish from the 80s or 90s would be a bit of a dismissal of their own work from that decade.

I agree. I can see "covering" 80s or 90s stuff as snippets live. But in terms of an actual release/b-side/etc., I think they're best sticking with old-school rockers or old crooner songs.

I liked the snippet of Bullet with Butterfly Wings during The Electric Co. on the Chicago Vertigo DVD. Perhaps they could do a full cover of that song?

^ Yep. I actually think a band of U2's stature releasing covers is kind of weak. Live covers are cool, but releasing covers to me is a bit of a cop-out.

And as we know they have snippeted at least some contemporary hits (Bullet with Butterfly Wings, Love Will Tear us Apart, Never Tear Us Apart). I think I'd leave it at that.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
For the most part, I think it's pretty weak when bands cover contemporaries or songs released within their careers...

Have you listened to any of Johnny Cash's recent albums?

vaz02 said:
I think u2 should still cover Wake up by arcade fire despite the recent article from Win " im too big for my boots " Butler

:lol:

If only Win was from North Dakota...

LemonMacPhisto said:

Have you listened to any of Johnny Cash's recent albums?

Yes, I'm a huge fan of Johnny Cash. That's why I said, "for the most part", but the difference is Cash has performed and recorded songs written by others the majority of his career.

jarvis said:
Personally, I'd like to see U2 cover some of the songs from Echo and the Bunnymen (such as Bring On The Dancing Horses) and New Order (Regret, Love Vigilantes), but that's just me.

Somehow, I doubt that U2 would go near Echo and the Bunnymen material--at least officially. You could make a strong argument that they've been covering their songs for years :wink:

It would be interesting, however (and the ultimate acknowledgement), if they took on a song like Ocean Rain and made it the huge hit it's certainly capable of being.

I actually don't have a problem with U2 doing covers. I think a big part of their strength as a band is how they've melded so many influences together. In many ways, that is U2.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

Yes, I'm a huge fan of Johnny Cash. That's why I said, "for the most part", but the difference is Cash has performed and recorded songs written by others the majority of his career.

True, true, wasn't sure if you were referring to that in your first statement.

A lot of bands I listen to do covers regularly.

David Bowie's done covers live and in the studio to name one.

I'd rather U2 make their own music :shrug:

I'd like to hear U2 do a Bloc Party cover though, just because I love both bands that much

I can totally see Edge taking the end of Compliments and making it into a monster, ala Love is Blindness... but that's not a radio single. It'd be baller live though, too bad it'd never happen.

Back
Top Bottom