How do you go at Singing U2 ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
erk, i havent got the voice for it

i can sing some of the b-sides

but yeh my voice isnt worth a million dollars like bono's, even after lots and lots of practice

Surprisingly i can sing cant help falling in love quite well, but that is one of the easiest songs to sing to my voice

anyway easier songs for me to sing are:

Running to stand still
Cant Help Falling In Love
Slow dancing
All I Want Is You - before the high notes at the end
Mothers of the Disappeared

impossible
God Part 2 high notes - the verses like dont believe a devil is reasonable but the high notes bono hits is fcked
oh and how the hell do you hit the high notes on Exit?

i didn't realize how damn high bono's voice was in the early years until me and three buddies tried to do Sunday Bloody Sunday at karaoke. ow.

I wouldn't do that to anyone. I'm not good at remembering lyrics either. I remember parts of choruses.

Hmmm heres what I have sung at karaoke......

One (crowd fave)
WOWY (crowd fave)
AIWIY (get asked to sing it!)
SIAM
Pride
New Years Day
Stay
WTSHNN
SHFWILF
In God's Country
IALW
Bad
Beautiful Day
Walk On
Mothers of..(when it was a empty pub!)
Mysterious Ways
HMTMKMKM
The Fly (it sucked!)
Unforgettable Fire
Sweetest Thing
Elevation (have to be in the right mood for it!)
WLCTT (did it with someone I know they murdered BB Kings bit! grrr!)
Electrical Storm
Desire
Angel Of Harlem
THTBA

would love to do...

Kite
Bad (the only dj I've come across with it hasn't got a good version!)
Gone
LWTS
RTSS
Out Of Control

there are still some on the discs I have yet to do but not sure to do them! lol

Last edited:
i do SATS, Stay, AIWIY, and a kick ass version of Drowning Man at my acoustic shows.

I can't sing to save myself ...

Anyone done 11 O'clock Tick Tock?

Wowy23 said:
Bono has a great voice for sure. Have you tried singing "I still haven't found what I'm looking for"...? It's a great song but man you gotta hit some high notes there too!

I rarely ever sing, got a rather deep voice. But I somehow get those notes in that song when casually singing to myself...bizarre...

SkeeK said:
i didn't realize how damn high bono's voice was in the early years until me and three buddies tried to do Sunday Bloody Sunday at karaoke. ow.

he has been quoted saying he thinks he sounded like a girl in the early days

I sing along to U2 songs a lot when I'm driving and no one else is in the car - I think I'd have to be pretty :drunk: to sing them in public, though.

Singing Bad and Pride can be quite the adventure - so is the end of All I Want Is You. I still attempt it though - why not, it's not like anyone's going to hear me in the car! I do a lot better on Running to Stand Still.

Easy:
Until the end of the World (it?s the easiest U2 song, no high notes here)
All I Want Is You
Streets
The Fly
EBTTRT

Medium:
In God?s Country
Acrobat
Running to Stand Still
One

Impossible:

-Lemon (I can hit the high note, but it sounds like a queer :eyebrow: )

- Electrical Storm (specially the "Heeeeeeeeeeey" part)

- Stay (that "if I could stay" it?s difficult for me)

- Bad

- Pride

- Love Is Blindness (too tooo toootoooo = impossible)

etc etc etc

I belted out Mysterious Ways on a karaoke machine in a crowded electronics store.I'm not bad at singing and i do the whole karaoke thing anytime a can.My faves for that is WOWY,One,and Pride(In The Name Of Love)...I always do Adam's part on the ending of Blue Room good too.And i sing other songs constantly in the shower...:wink:

I don't ever get to sing U2 in public because I'm like the only one out of anyone I know who actually likes the band, except for right now at work because they play christmas music constantly for now and sometimes I get the bono colaboration from the 80's whats that song please baby come home, something like that.

But when I'm at home and getting dressed, cleaning, etc. I belt out along to the music all the time.

I have difficulty getting the low notes most of the time, the high notes are fairly easy though.

Singing in public? I don't think so. :D

But if I had to, I'd pick something low like Running to stand still or Until the end of the world (I'd skip the "love love"... part though!) Wonder how U2 songs come out from a female singer...

I lead sing in a band and as such i've had a bit of time to rate myself on my favortie band

I can pull off the falsetto (sp?) in Lemon no worries, AIWIY is another easy one for me that some people have problems with. Same goes for ISHFWILF. Same for Acrobat, Running to Stand Still, One

I have some problems of Stay and Elevation

Havn't thought about God Part 2 really, I'll give it a go later...

has anyone tried singing any George Michael songs by any chance?

his voice at times can get equally as difficult as Bono's

an easy song to sing is Father Figure, until he hits the "I Will be yoUR... FATHER!" bit

anyway my list of songs ive sung (tried singing):

hits
Taste of Honey - Sukiyaki
Everytime I Close My Eyes- Babyface
A Different Corner - George Michael
Wild Horses - the stones
You cant always get what you want - The Stones , c'mon ANYONE can sing the stones!
Cant help falling in love - by Elvis, anyone can sing this song as well
friday im in love - by the cure - well maybe until the fourth verse
All I Want Is You - i was not happy with my performance, but the crowd loved it
Romeo and Juliet by Dire Straits - the chicks dig it

misses
Angel Of Harlem - not confident with high notes yet - let the crowd do the shouting
mustang sally - third verse, and nah aint got the voice for it
blue monday - new order
bizarre love triangle - new order
beautiful day
elevation
depeche mode's - policy of truth
depeche mode - just cant get enough
underworld - born slippy, i tried too hard to sing anything once
radiohead - paranoid android
radiohead - street spirit, crowd hates radiohead and depeche mode, sing them to yourself i'd say

totally out of the ballpark
where the streets have no name
One - surprisingly, it went all downhill from the 'Love Is a Temple line"
You Are So Beautiful - by joe cocker, nope
Natural Blues - Moby, didnt know how to sing properly back then
Enjoy the Silence - Depeche Mode
Streets of Philadelphia - the Boss
Have you ever really loved a woman- Bryan Adams - my voice is not lousy enough to be like his
Bullet with Butterfly wings - Smashing Pumpkins
anything sung by a girl, coz i cant do girl songs :\ , only tried one, nup, never again

i plan to do:
Faith by George Michael
Just Like Heaven by the Cure - but the crowd wont like it
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me

Even though i wont sing this the best i know the crowd will absolutely love:
The Living Years - by Mike and The Mechanics, believe me people rank this song highly

my niche so far is singing a lot like Babyface

I have great pitch and rarely sing the melody, but my voice is pretty weak so I just sing along at a normal volume. I don't sing Karaoke ever, although my boyfriend does and he wins money! He keeps saying he'll try a U2 song if they have one. Last time he won singing Whitney's I Will Always Love You and Alicia Keys' Falling, lol.

I haven't really tried singing in public but there's no U2 song I won't try when no one's around.

I reckon I could pull off some of them (UTEOTW, MW and the likes) but Stay does sound hard.

JTH

A lot of the earlier songs can only be sung if you are REALLY giving it a big effort and being very loud, such as Pride and Sunday Bloody Sunday.

Achtung Baby is probably the easiest album to sing along with because of his voice, with the possible exception of Mysterious Ways which is very difficult.

Pop is probably the most difficult. Has anyone tried singing to Discotheque, Mofo or If You Wear That Velvet Dress?

The easiest song is probably Until The End Of The World or All I Want Is You.

I sing along to whatever music I'm listening to most of the time, I don't like singing in public though. I can hit almost all of bono's high notes, and can't sing his songs that are low (AIWIY, verses of stay, RTST, UTEOTW, etc), but i'm female so yeah :wink:. I am not the world's greatest singer, but i am not the worst either. Never done karaoke, but I would probably do it one day after having a few drinks in me ;)

bullet the blue sky said:

Pop is probably the most difficult. Has anyone tried singing to Discotheque, Mofo or If You Wear That Velvet Dress?

Mofo is damn easy, i love doing the "Mother, am i still your son?" bit, its not available on a karaoke machine, i practice singing it without needing to put my hand over my mouth

oh and Please (also not available on karaoke), especially the 'so love is big" bit is a little gem to sing

i give it a yelp

it physically hurts to sing for me anyway, it is no wonder that you see the pros all sweaty on stage because it IS a big exercise

the thing which has made me hit and miss with karaoke is the fact you are really nervous when you get up there on stage, and depends on the amount of practice youve had

i have done

Welcome to the jungle(gnr) let me see you all try that(did not think so)
sweet child o mine(gnr)

next time ill do some u2 songs.
maby stuck in a moment or where the streets have no name or stay.i also want to cover paradise city!oh and whole lotta love and since ive been loving you (led zeppelin)

I already have sung some U2 songs in public on karaoke, One being the most frequent and my best performance, LOL. Others were SBS, with a friend, and Pride (tough one for women), but I did it well because I sang it in a lower pitch.

But my faves (haven?t found them on karaoke yet) are SATS (chorus like Edge used to do) and Angel of Harlem, this last one a la ZOOTV style, not the original from the album;

MT

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom