How do you call U2's music style?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
WalkOn21 said:

That would make the already existing genre Poprock, which is something different than what U2 is doing.

Most of the boring songs you hear on the radio can be classified as Poprock.

Good pop/rock, then?

Depends what song...

Out Of Control - Post Punk
All Because Of You - Indie
HMTMKMKM - Rock
Stuck In A Moment - Poprock
Pride - Soft Rock
Grace - Pile Of Shit
Mofo - Dance Rock
Desire - Rock 'n' Roll?

It's impossible to categorise this band, but I'd say the majority of their stuff falls into 'Soft Rock'. Doesn't mean they are a soft rock band though, U2 is U2, no other band sounds remotely like them...

Hmm I agree on Stuck In A Moment, that is one of those rare U2 songs you can count as poprock.

However, isn't "soft rock" too 'soft' for U2? Other soft rock bands I know play much 'softer'.

Yeah, that's a bit much use of the word 'soft'.:wink:

Also, INDIE IS NOT A FUCKING GENRE, FUCK, IT'S SHORT FOR INDEPENDENT, LIKE INDEPENDENT RECORD LABELS, IT DOES NOT DESCRIBE THE KIND OF MUSIC AND EVEN IF IT DID, IT CERTAINLY WOULDN'T DESCRIBE A SONG LIKE "ALL BECAUSE OF YOU," WHICH IS A GODDAMN WHO SONG THAT COULD'VE BEEN WRITTEN LONG BEFORE PEOPLE STARTED USING STUPID TERMS LIKE "INDIE" TO DESCRIBE ANY FUCKING MUSIC THEY THINK NEEDS TO SOUND COOLER THAN IT IS, FUCK, AND DON'T GIVE ME SHIT ABOUT HOW IT STARTED THAT WAY BUT BECAME A GENRE BECAUSE THAT'S BULLSHIT AND RIDICULOUS CONSIDERING HOW "INDIE" MUSIC IS SUPPOSED TO BE SO GODDAMN EDGY AND GENRE-DEFYING ANYWAY.

typhoon said:
Also, INDIE IS NOT A FUCKING GENRE, FUCK, IT'S SHORT FOR INDEPENDENT, LIKE INDEPENDENT RECORD LABELS, IT DOES NOT DESCRIBE THE KIND OF MUSIC AND EVEN IF IT DID, IT CERTAINLY WOULDN'T DESCRIBE A SONG LIKE "ALL BECAUSE OF YOU," WHICH IS A GODDAMN WHO SONG THAT COULD'VE BEEN WRITTEN LONG BEFORE PEOPLE STARTED USING STUPID TERMS LIKE "INDIE" TO DESCRIBE ANY FUCKING MUSIC THEY THINK NEEDS TO SOUND COOLER THAN IT IS, FUCK, AND DON'T GIVE ME SHIT ABOUT HOW IT STARTED THAT WAY BUT BECAME A GENRE BECAUSE THAT'S BULLSHIT AND RIDICULOUS CONSIDERING HOW "INDIE" MUSIC IS SUPPOSED TO BE SO GODDAMN EDGY AND GENRE-DEFYING ANYWAY.
Something's wrong with your caps lock key? :wave:

typhoon said:

It's a thing we've all got to suck up, I s'pose. Language changes all the time. "Gay" used to mean "happy." "Ecstasy" used to mean extreme joy, not a crappy drug. There's a correct way to say something like "Bono and I played a show"...but now everyone's stupid and saying "Bono and myself played a show" or "Edge played for Bono and myself," which isn't correct at all.

It's all about that panda that eats shoots and leaves, man. PANDA! :wink:

I usually tag it as Rock & Roll, cause i like U2, and Rock and Roll in a figure of speech kinda sense is basicly what life is about.
I don't think it's rock, that's acdc and it's not pop like kylie.

Also i think U2 is about many influences they've come across and used to their advantage, but not copied other artist in whatever genre and stayed true to their own sound.

I have more to say, but i think that might be more than you asked for so i'm keeping it to what you see above :)

Play the blues Edge ..... :)

Underscore :)

The thing with U2--and, IMO, the thing that makes them great--is that U2 defines their own genre. On the Classic Albums: The Joshua Tree DVD, Bono notes that he was surprised that UF and JT became popular, as they didn't fit in with anything else that was popular in the 80s. If you think 80s, you think of Michael Jackson, Madonna....and Where the Streets Have No Name fits in where? :scratch:

As Underscore said, U2 picks and chooses their influences from all over & melds it all together to form their own fairly unique sound.

typhoon said:
NOT A FUCKING GENRE,....... FUCK, IT'S SHORT ..... IS A GODDAMN WHO SONG ....... ANY FUCKING MUSIC ....... IT IS, FUCK, AND ........ ME SHIT ABOUT ......... THAT'S BULLSHIT AND RIDICULOUS ......... BE SO GODDAMN EDGY .............

I'm not a moderator and not a saint, but could you please mind your language next time you post, how you explained yourself is in no way necessary.

Underscore ... again

typhoon said:

You should just calm down, there's no need for that

Back
Top Bottom