How do you call U2's music style?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Simple:

They started as

Post Punk from the beginning to 1982

They then became

Alternative Rock legends between 1983-1999 :drool:

After which they became

Pop-Rock from 2000-Now

From All Music Guide:

Genre:
Rock

Styles:
Alternative Pop/ Rock
Pop/Rock
Post-Punk
College Rock

Untamable in the early 80s
magnificent in the late 80s
undefinable in the 90s
unworthy in the 00s

I'm confused by the term "Pop" music. Maybe someone can clear up for me??

I always thought it meant "Popular" music, therefore, "Pop Music" means music that is played on a "top 40 music radio station". If that's the case, then U2's music is not considered "Pop", because the top 40 radio station in my city does not play U2, however, the rock-n-roll stations do play them.

Does anyone have the answer? What does "Pop" mean??

"If you want to bring it down to categories. I think U2 is, in that way, slightly subversive because the whole structure of radio and music these days is to 'pin them down, get a name there, then we know where they're at, they're safe.' I think that because we, as U2, transcend those barriers, it upsets people because they can't pigeonhole us in any particular place. That's a great place to be - to have the range to go from one side of the spectrum to the other."-Adam

"If you were to file us under anything in the record shop, I suppose it would have to be under 'rock'. But I think it's a very false divide. 'Rock' and 'Pop' cross over in so many places that I don't think you can put bands in neat little boxes like that." (Also Adam, February 1983)

thrillme said:
"If you want to bring it down to categories. I think U2 is, in that way, slightly subversive because the whole structure of radio and music these days is to 'pin them down, get a name there, then we know where they're at, they're safe.' I think that because we, as U2, transcend those barriers, it upsets people because they can't pigeonhole us in any particular place. That's a great place to be - to have the range to go from one side of the spectrum to the other."-Adam

"If you were to file us under anything in the record shop, I suppose it would have to be under 'rock'. But I think it's a very false divide. 'Rock' and 'Pop' cross over in so many places that I don't think you can put bands in neat little boxes like that." (Also Adam, February 1983)
very nice, thank you ;]

They were raw, in your face rock.

Then they became depressing, moody rock.

Then they became Americana rock.

Then they became avante garde rock.

Then they became experimental rock.

And now they are contemporary, guitar rock.

Back
Top Bottom