how do they get around

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

zepher25

Acrobat
hey, im looking for info about how U2 get around on tours and that, like from country to conuntry, do they have their own jets or 1 private jet or do they use regular air travel, if anyone has any pics of them at the airports or anything like that post them please.

Ever since Popmart, U2 has had their own planes. For Vertigo, they had a different plane for each leg of the tour, appropriately painted in Vertigo colours.

I don't know what they did before Popmart, though.

In 'U2 At The End Of The World', there's a story about U2 traveling to Mexico to play a show in Mexico City during the ZooTV tour, and it described them travling on a commercial jet, first class.

VertigoAirplane.jpg

They've been using painted airplanes on Zoo TV, Popmart, Elevation and Vertigo.

Before that...tour buses?

Ellay said:
No they use robot doubles in any other cities apart from Dublin.

robots :drool:

robots arr hot.

the edge just teleports. everyone else has to find their own way to get places.

on the Missing Sarajavo doco on the best of 1990-2000 dvd they are on a plane called POP001, which has POPUP painted on it, when they are greeted at the airport by 100 soldiers.

Airliners.net has photos of the Vertigo plane at various airports.
For the non-European legs, they chartered through Air Canada.

popairplane.jpg

Popmart Air

elevationair.jpg

Elevation Air (actually the same plane as Popmart, just re-painted)

vertigoair.jpg

Vertigo Air N. America

vertigoair2.jpg

Verigo Air Europe

in "outside its america" the documentary of the joshua tree tournthey used a 4 engine prop plane...very retro

Headache in a Suitcase said:
they charter jets for the length of each leg of the tour, and the charer company paints the jets to match the tour color scheme.

from that point on, in the states at least, they get taken from the airport/hotel/arena usually in black SUVs and/or black lincoln towncars.

It was a black Caddy SUV in Cal.

though do they take private jets separately?

like say now when there is a break in the tour, do they take commercial air or do they take one of the private jets?
hmm....

well...they have 4 or 5 more planes if you count the planes to carry around the crew and the stage etc....

i wouldent be at all surprised if they had their own learjets or gufstream type things (especially bono as he travels tons) but i doubt they would own boeings or the like as they cost hundreds of millions of dollars.

nightninja56 said:
though do they take private jets separately?

like say now when there is a break in the tour, do they take commercial air or do they take one of the private jets?
hmm....

I think they do a mixture of both. Don't believe any of them own their own, but I think I read once a few years ago that Bono splashed out for a share in a fractional private jet plan (where you don't own one yourself, but one is available to you when you need it). But, I also read a post on a frequent flyer board that somebody sat next to him in First Class on a short hop in Europe, so he does still fly commercial at times.

Last edited:
There were some Davos photos that showed Bono getting out of a small private jet - smaller than what I would have thought, actually.

Back
Top Bottom