How do they do it???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
How does U2 make such wonderful songs? After like 30 years they still have untapped kegs full of songs that havent even seen light yet, apparently. Songs that have addicting hooks and melodies... They sound like theyre gonna be around for quite awhile. Its fucking crazy to think that they about to own everyone AGAIN when they release these new songs 2 years after their album of the year.

And how much better are these songs over the ones from bomb? Its rediculous. It almost sounds like bomb was the bside.

U2 > *

and these clips are exactly why. So good so late into their career.

I guess my thread isnt negative enough to spark interest here. OK..

all the thank yous are a bit overkill...

seriously though, this new music is insanely good. The guitar noise in 'I believe'!!!! :ohmy:

t8thgr8 said:
I guess my thread isnt negative enough to spark interest here. OK..

There is only 6 min between your first post and your second one. How much response do you expect in that time? :huh:

I honestly don't know how they do it

I think it has to do something with broccoli though

these beach clips are brim full with potential

U2 is magical in that way. and that's why we love them.
the total is greater than the sum of it's parts.
it's because they feed off eachother and they work so well together. the chemistry it creates when they're working together is something unexplainable that only they posses, because it's unique to their relationship, and thus, that's how i believe they continue to be the best. ever.
if edge were in another band
or if bono was a soloist or whatever
it just wouldn't be the same. i read something in U2 at the End of the World (which is a great great book, btw, everyone should read it.) that i totally and wholeheartedly agree with: that the Edge's sound is easy to imitate but difficult to replicate. many have tried but they can never get it just right. and that's because he has larry and adam backing him when he plays, so their sounds mesh together perfectly to create brilliance.

here is the exact quote from the book:

"U2 ARE JAMMING again, coming up with enough songs to insure boxed sets for years after their plane crashes. Watching them work this way, it is really striking how much of the U2 sound frequently credited to Edge alone depends on Adam and Larry. Adam often plays with the swollen, vibrating bottom sound of a Jamaican dub bassist, covering the most sonic space with the smallest number of notes. Larry, who taught himself to drum and consequently got some things technically wrong, plays with a martial rigidity but uses his kit in a way a properly trained drummer would not. He has tom-toms on either side of him, and has a habit of coming off the snare onto them that is contrary to how most percussionists use those drums. We're not talking about huge technical innovations here; we're talking about personal idiosyncrasies that have over fifteen years solidified into a big part of what makes U2 always sound like U2, no matter what style of music they are playing. It is also why bands that imitate U2 never get it right, and why all the guitarists who try to play like Edge end up sounding so lame; their rhythm section never sounds like Adam and Larry.

The great joke is that Adam's and Larry's playing so perfectly reflects their personalities. Larry is right on top of the beat, a bit ahead—as you'd expect from a man who's so ordered and punctual in his life. Adam plays a little behind the beat, waiting till the last moment to slip in, which fits Adam's casual, don't-sweat-it personality. [. . .] They've played together so long that they seem to spread the beat out between them.And they create a blanket on which Edge's chord layers rest."

^_________________^ you should read this book ;]

I love the way everyone gets excited about new material...only to bash it 1 month after it's been officially released. I don't mean to be a party pooper...but that's what happens here.

That said...I :love: All My Life...Classic U2!!!!! The guys really have the songwriting skills down to a T. :yes:

Salome said:
I honestly don't know how they do it

I think it has to do something with broccoli though

these beach clips are brim full with potential

Full of Vitamin Sea! :happy: :happy: :happy:

(sorry, that wasn't very punny.)

tuwie said:
U2 is magical in that way. and that's why we love them.
the total is greater than the sum of it's parts.
it's because they feed off eachother and they work so well together. the chemistry it creates when they're working together is something unexplainable that only they posses, because it's unique to their relationship, and thus, that's how i believe they continue to be the best. ever.

:up: I'm so glad you didn't say they were musical angels sent from heaven...although you did come close. :wink:

They probably do have the best chemistry of the bands that have reached 'legend' status, or what have you. Aside from the calibre of music (which has really ebbed and flowed, truthfully), I think U2's biggest gift has been the ability to stick it out and perform great live--all in the potential that their greatest song could be in front of them. I think this is what explains the excitement behind the beach clips, for example.

t8thgr8...you might want to wait a bit for responses to your posts next time. The only thing worse than talking about negative threads is actually making them that way before people can reply. :wink:

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I love the way everyone gets excited about new material...only to bash it 1 month after it's been officially released. I don't mean to be a party pooper...but that's what happens here.

I went crazy nuts during the beach clips of HTDAAB, and loved the album. there are some of us :wink:

i dont know how u2 do it, these clips are great

The Bill Flannagan book is the best book ever written on U2. I just wish he'd do another one.
Great to see a nice positive thread t8thegr8!!
I'll be positive too, Im sure that there will be an album out by the end of the year. U2 love to be challenged and I'm sure theyre bored with the album every four years routine, I know am. I'm sure we will have a real beautiful treat this Christmas!!

My guess would be:

Larry & Adam make a great team. These guys make you want to move during a U2 song.

Bono has a great voice and can write lyrics that make you paint a picture in your head.

Edge is really a one of a kind guitar player. There is no one who sounds like him or good make something so simple sound so epic.

U2 music can fill up some big spaces. And when you put all these elements together, you get some great tunes.

U2girl said:

Exactly. "Yet" being the key word.

I bet many of the arguments about ATYCLB and HTDAAB wouldn't even start if you didn't provoke them. I understand why you get frustrated about it, but at least wait for the complaining to start first. Preemptive strikes are for stupid politicians. :wink:

Maybe you like arguing about it. Which is fine, there are worse things to do on the Internet. :wink:

:huh:

Arguments about ATYCLB and HTDAAB for the most part get started by people who, obviously, hate them. Given the amount of ammo already spent on those two, it's really only a matter of time till it gets in here. I was just pointing that out in a sarcastic way. :shrug:

i was listening to grace yesterday in my car and its an awesome song. new york too. infact the last half of atyclb is tits. i dont even listen to the first 4 songs. come to think of it, atyclb is classic. the first four songs are great like tjt.

if the new album sounds classic like these clips suggest, i think the 2000's will be the best era.

ooh ooh ooh
can I take a guess?

probably because she's just sick of seeing everything that U2 did after POP being bashed by the same people over & over & over & over & over again

bringing this up it might not be the smartest thing to do, but it's also not the same as stirring things up at all
one does just get a bit cynical when reading these forums
and it does get hard at times to control your temper

it's not like U2girl posted anything against forum policy or anything :shrug:

These songs sound effortlessly wonderful.

I can hardly wait to see what U2's REALLY cooking up. :wink:

Bonochick said:

As I explained before, this wasn't about provoking anyone.

Wildhoneyalways: People I refer to need to provocations anyway. I can think of at least 6 people who I could swear stirr things up all the time by posting nothing but negativity about the last 6 years of U2's career. Why be the one on my back about it so often? :huh:

No worries though, Ignore button helps a lot, and this forum is becoming more interesting than EYKIW with the new songs.

i think im gonna start claiming 2000's as u2s best era. after all, i didnt get picked up until all that anyway and didnt look on it negatively until i came here. so the time is now people whether you want it to be or not. just look at whats going on with them. their popularity right now is rediculous. and these new songs sound like theyre only gonna go higher.

I Believe (aka 402) could be as big as Beautiful Day with the right production. This song is just massive, and fresh enough to sway the 2000's haters. How do they do it? I'll tell you how. They're the best. Not just the biggest band in the world. They're the best. Just like Bono says.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom