how come U2 never thank the fans at all these award shows?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Wanderer

Kid A
unless I missed something and they did, but I never remember this happening, anyway, I always wished Bono or Edge would chime in and say, "and we'd like to thank our fans -- the greatest in the world... "

I know I'm being trite and whiny, but come on, how about a little love from the band? at least they could thank us for not stealing the session tapes these last few times around

I kinda feel the same way. I mean, it's great that they thank all the bigwigs at Interscope and all, but really, we don't even deserve a quick acknowledgement? We'd go through hell for them, and in some cases we have (waiting in the bitter cold for 5 hrs to get a good spot). It's nothing to cry over, and I know they love us, but it'd be cool if they said something on their big night. Even cooler if they mentioned Interference.
wink.gif

------------------
Change is the only constant

heh i never noticed that until now. i don't care that they don't thank us. i think it's mutual really. thanks enough is touring and giving their all live, and putting out heartfelt relevant albums.

------------------
The more of these I drink the more Bono makes sense.. - Bean from the KROQ Breakfast with U2.

They don't thank us at the awards shows, but they sure do at the concerts:
"thanks for giving us a great life"

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 03-24-2002).]

maybe they check this forum

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Originally posted by SkeeK:

Good point.

I have thought about it but never really cared. Don't know why but somehow when other artist do it it feels like it's something they have to say.

I'd rather see that they thank us the way they do today, infront of our eyes at meetings after concerts, outside hotels, on the street, at the studio and on and on. How many artist do that? Most of them run and hide from their fans and don't care at all about them and the next minute when it's safe up at the podium they act like their fans are the most important in the world. Bullshit!

I like my sig because that shows how much they think of us.
smile.gif

Sometimes I feel that the relationship is too private to be put out in the air for everyone to hear. Just like with their families as someone mentioned haven't got a notion. I don't know. So, as long as they show US, the fans that they care I don't care if they thank us at a silly award.
smile.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

I do remember one award show...but can't remember which one...where Bono at least pointed up toward the fan seats...and they screamed of course
smile.gif

I think it was the grammies last year...but can't remember...

dream wanderer

Originally posted by SkeeK:

[This message has been edited by SkeeK (edited 03-24-2002).]

I've heard them say things like this all the time. Also, "Thanks for sticking with us." I'm sure that they have said this at awards shows in the past, but definitely in interviews. It doesn't bother me at all though, even if they didn't thank the fans. They are artists who make music for themselves, not for me. Either way, I know they appreciate the fans. The music is thanks enough for me.

here's my favorite bono quote, re: the fans:

it comes from the final Elevation show, 12/2/01, in Miami. During Out of Control, during the "slow" part, bono said the following:

"We knew, from the moment we stepped onstage here in beautiful Florida, that something special was going on with our band, and with our CROWD. it was out of control... out of controllllll...." (then it goes into the really fast part again.)

i just *love* that quote. *fuzzies*

Originally posted by MissZooropa:

Sometimes I feel that the relationship is too private to be put out in the air for everyone to hear. Just like with their families as someone mentioned haven't got a notion. I don't know. So, as long as they show US, the fans that they care I don't care if they thank us at a silly award.
smile.gif

aww this really made me smile MissZoo!

------------------
Words tangled in her hair.. words soon to disappear

* U2 Take Me Higher *
The Macphisto Society

Originally posted by Foxxern:
We'd go through hell for them, and in some cases we have (waiting in the bitter cold for 5 hrs to get a good spot).

5 hours? Try 13 hours when it's in the lower 30s, while it's raining.

wink.gif

------------------

Just as you find me
Always I will be
A little bit too free
With myself

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
5 hours? Try 13 hours when it's in the lower 30s, while it's raining.
wink.gif

Oh, the joy of the 10/16 show.
wink.gif

I've never really thought about how they don't thank the fans at awards shows, but like ladywithspinninghead pointed out they don't usually thank their families so I guess it's not a big deal.

Originally posted by Giant Lemon:
Oh, the joy of the 10/16 show.
wink.gif

I was there.. NOT pleasant.

------------------
"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Originally posted by The Wanderer:
unless I missed something and they did, but I never remember this happening, anyway, I always wished Bono or Edge would chime in and say, "and we'd like to thank our fans -- the greatest in the world... "

I know I'm being trite and whiny, but come on, how about a little love from the band? at least they could thank us for not stealing the session tapes these last few times around

U2 ALWAYS thanks their fans "for giving us a great life" during their concerts. Thanking the fans during concerts is personal and humble. Thanking the fans during award shows is nice, but is usually seems obligatory, contrived and phony---things that U2 never are during award shows. They make the funniest, most interesting and most memorable speeches at these shows. Lets stop complaining about them not thanking the fans because they frequently talk about their fans and thank them very often as well.

As much as the band probably do want to win the awards, I am sure they think the awards shows are simply ridiculous (as many of us do.)

I would much rather stand in an arena, club, and stadium and hear a great version of Bad and then have the band thank me for sticking with them all these years.

I would actually prefer them not to thank me at an awards show, but simply mock it (like the Edge did last year.)

All awards are poop and this is proven by ALL the grammys, and many of the Oscars that were awarded last night...

Yeah, I would rather hear Edge go on about the Orgasmatron or Bono swear about f-in' up the mainstream than to hear them thank everybody and start sobbing like they just won a beauty pagaent.

Just to add another perspective...

When a band or musician thanks their fans, it seems to me that they often do it because their fans are the only ones who like them. (Think of NSync always thanking their fans after winning an award.) I know that without fans, no band can be successful, but I hope you guys know what I'm trying to say...I think of Creed thanking their fans at the VH1 awards, and they pretty much were saying--thanks to the fans since no one else gives us any respect...

Anyway, I like what MissZ said about the private relationship between U2 and their fans. I think she's right on about that.

------------------
U2 @ The Blooming Heart

Hey i remember pondering if they ever did thank the fans at awards shows a few days ago...

It goes both ways i think. The band feeds of us, the fans and vice versa. They thank us best with giving us the music, and we best thank them by enjoying it, and being a part of the incredible story that started in 1976...

------------------
"It's an elevation thing." - Adam (when asked about the airplanes in the videos, and the airport pics on ATYCLB)

"Not just any band...the best band on the planet." - Bono

"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge about playing live

"There's still stuff left for us to do, and that's why we still do it." - Larry, 1998

I don't need a thank you from the band on an award show. Award shows are stupid, and the only reason I watch them are to see the band perform or present or whatever. It's cool if they win but I don't expect them to thank us.

The band thanks us by putting out music, giving us concerts, and in the USA this year, the possibility of seeing them multiple times if we so desire. Not to mention the Propaganda thing which is an added bonus.

And as previously stated they thank their fans, the ones that are paying to go to the shows. I think that shows the utmost appreciation from them.

Originally posted by elevatedmole:
I was there.. NOT pleasant.

AGREED

------------------
"Miami, New Orleans, London, Belfast, CHICAGO!" ~ Bono (during Stay) at Chicago 10/16/01

"Home, that's where Chicago is!" ~ Bono (during Walk On) at Chicago 10/16/01

I would think they don't thank the fans at the award shows, because the fans don't give them those awards...the industry does. The "bigwigs" and whatnot (the association members) are the ones who vote for the winners....the fans have nothing to do with it.

As for mentioning that they have "the greatest fans in the world"...doesn't every band? (Just ask another band's devout)

As for Creed's thanking the fans at the VH-1 awards....weren't they the "My VH-1 Awards", which were decided by the fans? (which U2 lost to such as DMB?)

Just thinking....

------------------
"Love is a verb..."
enterangell@cs.com

doctorwho, so were you the guy that Bono slapped at the Minneapolis 5/1/01 show???
biggrin.gif
Cuz that's what he was claming.
tongue.gif

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
doctorwho, so were you the guy that Bono slapped at the Minneapolis 5/1/01 show???
biggrin.gif
Cuz that's what he was claming.
tongue.gif

No, that wasn't me. Bono slapped that fan because he was claiming something false. Bono knew that *I* wrote the songs - so how dare this other fan claim he did. Silly fan. I'm glad Bono slapped him.

Now, where IS that royalty check?

Back
Top Bottom