how can we be sure about the titles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

babyman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
if the story of the stolen cd would be true, do you really believe that U2, or who else near to them, would reveal all the true titles 2 and half months before its release? maybe most of the titles circulating now are false(except of vertigo), actually there weren't official statements of the band about the titles yet, they mentioned songtitles in some interviews but we cannot know if they're telling the truth, i wouldn't be surprised if we would have completely different ones on the cd...you know, just wanna be a lil bit suspicious :wink: :wink:

There's no real harm in revealing a few song titles...youre not losing anything or giving anything important away about the sound of the album, while it will bring you a bit more free publicity.

In my opinion U2's marketing and promotion scheme for the new album has been amazingly clever so far...

ok, but i mean, revealing true titles of a "stolen record" may mean tons of downloads from peer to peers largerly before the release of an album where they worked 2 years, wouldn't it be too dangerous?

i'm sure that most of, if not all, the titles are true. it seemed like we pretty much had the set tracklisting(even though the order was changed) for ATYCLB about 2 1/2 months before the album came out.

babyman said:
ok, but i mean, revealing true titles of a "stolen record" may mean tons of downloads from peer to peers largerly before the release of an album where they worked 2 years, wouldn't it be too dangerous?

the album wasn't stolen, so that's something don't have to worry about.

Some of the titles were on U2.com so that's pretty official. Not all titles were on U2.com however the ones that were mentioned were some of those talked about. So the others must be true, too.

david said:
i dunno. would the "stolen" cd have a track listing printed up on it?

it wouldn't be difficult to discover the titles, you'd(better the so called "record thieves") just need to hear the lyrics comparing the refrains with the titles circulating, it wouldn't be a problem to throw the album into internet and to download the songs...i think

babyman said:

it wouldn't be difficult to discover the titles, you'd(better the so called "record thieves") just need to hear the lyrics comparing the refrains with the titles circulating, it wouldn't be a problem to throw the album into internet and to download the songs...i think

If the album was really floating around on a p2p or somewhere online, someone would have found a credible sample/mp3 by now.

Yeah, that "stolen/lost" CD hasn't made the rounds yet, and I highly doubt it will. I don't know if U2 staged that, but it sure bought them some great publicity. And I don't believe it hurts anything if they drop some names now. The person who has the CD and if he/she wanted to drop them on the Net could just take their best guess at song titles, whats the difference?

If the CD was truly swiped I doubt someone that would do that would do so for their own pleasure. In other words, if you are going to steal a CD you are going to do it to make a profit....it would have ended up on p2p by now I would think.

Yeah, if it's not on p2p networks it's most likely that it was simply misplaced (or it was a ruse in the first place, which I would dislike intensely as it would show utter disregard by U2 for their fans). With any luck it will stay "hidden" so to speak until it's proper release.

Dalkey Beach said:
U2 loves it fans

Never said they didn't. I did say that if the disapperance of the new cd was merely a ruse it would show utter disregard for the fans. I say that because it would get people excited or upset by what they thought was a theft, and for it to only be a publicty stunt would be using very poor judgement. I did not mean to imply U2 has done this, but if by some odd chance they have I'd like to smack 'em silly.

mikal said:

the album wasn't stolen, so that's something don't have to worry about.

Actually, we don't know that, do we?

About all the free publicity so many people like to bring up, I remember a link that was posted a while ago, regarding the news about the missing/stolen CD and putting the album on the internet if it got out and there were comments posted by readers.
Most of the readers were of the opinion U2 were whiners, greedy (for going the Itunes route and the "regular" sale) and downright sloppy/stupid for carrying the CD around in the first place.

Sounds like great free publicity, doesn't it?

Back
Top Bottom