how big a percentage of their ticket prices does u2 give to charity?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
100% to the Guinness For Paul, Dave, Adam, Larry, and Paul Fund.

it was printed on my arcade fire ticket how much of the price was given to charity.

U2Man said:
it was printed on my arcade fire ticket how much of the price was given to charity.

1. How much did they give to charity and what Charity was the money given to?

2. Have you ever bought tickets for another act that had the same thing on the ticket?

I have never seen this before so I'm curious...

Who knows and who cares quite honestly!!!

U2Man said:

Kinda sad that they have to advertise that kind of thing.

Does anyone in here walk around with a t-shirt saying how much you gave to charity, church, or the man on the street last year? Just curious...

Last edited:
Was there not a news article floating about during the tour where it was stated how much of the total of one of the leg's profit was going to charity?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Does anyone in here walk around with a t-shirt saying how much you gave to charity, church, or the man on the street last year? Just curious...

I do.

I tell everyone how much I give, whether they ask or not.

It makes me feel really good about myself, and it lets other people know how good I am.

U2 publicly stated they are NOT telling what they are donating.

if they donate a little, people whine because they're so rich.... if they donate lots, people whine because htey're so rich and can afford it

they can't win...

Galeongirl said:
U2 publicly stated they are NOT telling what they are donating.

if they donate a little, people whine because they're so rich.... if they donate lots, people whine because htey're so rich and can afford it

they can't win...

They can't even win with not telling because then people think they don't give any money at all... :angry:

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Kinda sad that they have to advertise that kind of thing.

Yeah, I actually think it's funny that they do this. :lmao: I wonder if it makes them feel important or something? :huh:

Pearl Jam also publicized that they gave something like $2 for each ticket to charity. I don't see anything wrong with mentioning it. It's similar to Bono mentioning how many people have signed up for the One campaign during the shows.

I think it's one thing to state you give a percentage to charity, e.g. when asked in an interview, and quite another to blatantly advertise it on the ticket. The latter just makes you look like a self-important tosser.

Maybe it's to encourage people to buy tickets? :shrug: but I don't think Arcade Fire need to use that as a reason for people to buy tickets... I do think that's a bit of a jerk move "oh, look at us, we're doing something important." but it's better than not doing anything at all :shrug:

i'd be surprised if U2 didnt give a lot to charity, or at least DATA or whatever. but honestly I don't much care. I'd still like their music even if they were assholes who didnt give any money to charity at all :wink:

It doesn't seem like that big deal to me, I mean, how many other times have you seen, portions of the proceeds will go to such and such charity?

I'm always used to seeing how much portions of my ticket sale go to ridiculous handling fees and other charges.. that make the tickets i buy from ticket master so expensive.

Axver said:
100% to the Guinness For Paul, Dave, Adam, Larry, and Paul Fund.

20% goes to Adam's bass guitar fund. (He doesn't drink anymore)

///

If you say how much you give, you may across as arrogant, "hey look how much I give."

I recall reading that one time it was disclosed how much U2 gave to a charity, and others complained they didn't get as much as that charity.

Even if they did come out and say, yeah we donate to charity, even that might get them slammed for just mentioning it.

AtomicBono said:

i'd be surprised if U2 didnt give a lot to charity, or at least DATA or whatever. but honestly I don't much care. I'd still like their music even if they were assholes who didnt give any money to charity at all :wink:

Agreed. It seems like they've donated quite a few cars, instruments, and other collectors items lately so I suppose it's fair to assume they donate a great deal of money privately. They even offered to pay the court costs for the Cashman case when it was her own suit and she lost twice. I've seen Bono and Ali's name on a donor list and someone posted here before about how Bono did a "Make A Wish" or something like it for a kid with cancer and paid for the treatments. (However I doubt they give a lot to DATA since it's a lobby org, not a charity or aid org)

If I saw a donation amount on a ticket of ANY group I'd raise an eyebrow.

Back
Top Bottom