How Bad is the "O Brother..." Soundtrack? - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 04-18-2002, 09:37 AM   #1
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:09 PM
How Bad is the "O Brother..." Soundtrack?

I'm still irate (in a non-time consuming fashion) over U2's ATYCLB not winning Album of the Year at the Grammy's. How does one album have not one but two Record of the Year awards, one Song of the Year, one Rock Song of the Year, one Pop Song of the Year, and one Rock Album of the Year and not win Album of the Year????

Nonetheless, since "O Brother..." won, I thought I'd check it out. There had to be a reason why this album has sold over 5 million copies. There had to be a reason why this album beat U2 for that coveted Album of the Year award. There had to be a reason why the album is so heavily praised. So I bought it.

My review? It was possibly one of the worst albums I have ever heard. There is a near 5 minute version of "You Are My Sunshine." It just drones on and on and on... "you are my sunshine my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey..." is repeated over and over. This cute little children's song is fine in a small dose, but to listen to this nonsense for 5 minutes, with the singer taking himself all seriously, was too much.

Now, I don't mind country. Some old country I find repititive and too twangy. And the new country is often too pop or even rock-sounding in nature. But overall, country has its place. Blue grass music can be brilliant. However, it seems that the creators of "O Brother..." picked the WORSE blue grass songs they could find and redid them.

There are a few rays of hope, but nothing that merits this album of remakes winning such a prestigious award.

U2 were robbed. They were robbed with "Achtung Baby" (easily THE best album of the 90's) and they were robbed here.

At least the album has 7 other Grammy's for it to cherish.

Anyway, if you disagree, please let me know in a civilized fashion. I'd like to be convinced why this album is good - because right now, I'm a heartbeat away from reselling it.

Old 04-18-2002, 09:52 AM   #2
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

Local Time: 06:09 PM
I have heard only bits and pieces of the album, but I did not like those bits and pieces. I was considering getting it, but I don't think I will like it anymore in its entirety anyway.

I wish U2 would have gotten that Grammy...but they still did outstanding overall for ATYCLB...every single won at least one Grammy...that's incredible!

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."

Old 04-18-2002, 10:00 AM   #3
ONE
love, blood, life

Location: Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LOVE YOU ANGIE! Im a Bono fan!
Local Time: 10:09 PM
<is waiting for poor Sally or Sicy to have to move this to Lemonade Stand...........

Im beginnin to feel sorry for these two guys.....

Old 04-18-2002, 10:03 AM   #4
New Yorker

Local Time: 03:09 PM
I also listened to bits and pieces of that album at a listening station, but didn't buy it. So-called "roots" music doesn't do much for me anyway. My guess is the success of this album has as much to do with its association to the movie (which I liked a lot) as it does with the music itself.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:03 AM   #5
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

was this an album of cover songs????

if so, what a bunch of crap, it's not even a real album then.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:29 AM   #6
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

well someone must like it.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:31 AM   #7
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 05:09 PM
i like it.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:38 AM   #8
ONE
love, blood, life

hey doctorwho have you seen the movie? i absolutely love the movie which probably has something to do with why i like the soundtrack. the coen brothers rule.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:46 AM   #9
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:09 PM
I like what I've heard, though I probably wouldn't buy it. I heard some of it on a long dark desert highway late at night and found it pleasingly haunting. But certainly not everyone's taste.
Old 04-18-2002, 10:52 AM   #10
Halloweenhead
Forum Moderator

For those who like O Brother:

Do you think it deserved to win over U2?

I'm not trying to be nasty either, I'm really just asking for honest opinions.

------------------
"I'm nearly great, but there's something missing..."
Old 04-18-2002, 11:10 AM   #11
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
Originally posted by mad1:
<is waiting for poor Sally or Sicy to have to move this to Lemonade Stand...........

Im beginnin to feel sorry for these two guys.....

Well, I hope that it is NOT moved.

I thought about posting this thread there, however, considering the WEALTH of U2 items I stated in my original post, I feel it belongs here.

But as I am not a moderator of this forum, I will let them decide.

Old 04-18-2002, 11:25 AM   #12
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:09 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick:

Not no way, not no how!!! 'Twas clearly the U2/Dylan split votes fiasco. But I appreciate O Brother nonetheless, and I actually think it was good for U2 not to have a clean sweep. Keeps 'em humble.
Old 04-18-2002, 11:29 AM   #13
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho:
[B]
My review? It was possibly one of the worst albums I have ever heard. There is a near 5 minute version of "You Are My Sunshine." It just drones on and on and on... "you are my sunshine my only sunshine, you make me happy when skies are grey..." is repeated over and over. This cute little children's song is fine in a small dose, but to listen to this nonsense for 5 minutes, with the singer taking himself all seriously, was too much.
B]
Actually, "You Are My Sunshine" isn't really a children's song. It was written around the late 30s/early 40s and is the LA state song.

I'm not very into bluegrass/folk music, but I actually think the soundtrack is pretty good. Gillian Welch in particular is amazing, and I'm glad that that genre, which is usually overlooked, gained some recognition.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ Iím not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobodyís around"--Starsailor
Old 04-18-2002, 11:40 AM   #14
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Bonochick:

I definitely don't think the album deserved to win over U2, but I don't know whether U2 deserved to win either. Obviously, I'm biased against any non-U2 album , but I haven't heard the Dylan one yet, and I don't think ATYCLB is U2's best album.

------------------
"I don't particularly like myth, but to me mystery is everything." --The Edge
"Left my sweet soul beneath the bedclothes/ Iím not coming down/ Walls have ears/ but no one hears/ when nobodyís around"--Starsailor
Old 04-18-2002, 11:50 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

I really like the movie, and I got my dad the soundtrack for his birthday. It's not my style of music by any means, but some of it is pretty cool.

Nevertheless, I was incredibly pissed when it won album of the year over U2. That was bullshit. Of course, I couldn't rant and rave too much because when I was watching the show, one of my roomies was with me and she LOVES that music...sigh...

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com
Old 04-18-2002, 11:59 AM   #16
Refugee

Who cares about the grammies? they were crap before, they are now, and they will be in the future.

------------------
Please...don't make me say please, champagne and ice cream, it's not what I want, it's what I need.
Old 04-18-2002, 01:57 PM   #17
Refugee

Sorry to be off topic, but doctorwho, please e-mail me - I have a question for you.

cimon378@earthlink.net

Thanks!

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83
Old 04-18-2002, 02:14 PM   #18
Acrobat

I really don't mind bluegrass instrumental music....but once they open their mouths and start singing...I just push 'off'.....

dream wanderer
Old 04-18-2002, 02:36 PM   #19
BAW
The Flower

If you like bluegrass/roots/folk music, it's an excellent album. The movie wouldn't have been the same without these songs BUT...it did not deserve to win over U2.

I don't think that an album composed mostly of cover versions of old songs with new arrangements should be chosen as "album of the year" over a collection of original material like ATYCLB. It just seemed strange that it was even in the same catagory as U2.

Allison Krause and Gillian Welch have beautiful voices but their roots are in bluegrass and country music. The rest of the artists are either well respected bluegrass veterans or unknown studio musicians...great I suppose if you like that style of music but I just don't see the majority of grammy voters driving around listing to O Brother in their cars.

Old 04-18-2002, 02:43 PM   #20
Blue Crack Addict

I saw and enjoyed the movie...and the music worked well in the movie. But the music didn't appeal to me enough to want to buy the soundtrack, and it winning album of theyear didn't change that.(There are lots of Grammy winning albums I have no interest in).

I do think the strongest argument for U2 beating it would be that ATYCLB is an album of original material, written and performed by the artists, whereas the soundtrack is a collection of older bluegrass songs redone by contemporary artists.