How are Bono's vocals on the new Pop Mart DVD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jdelbove

Acrobat
I have heard some realy bad vocal preformances and know that Bono's voice was shot and weak on the Pop tour. So I am wondering if anyone knows how his vocals are from the show that is recorded for the new Pop DVD.

When I first heard about pop coming to DVD I instantly shuttered because I knew Bono's voice was in rough shape and I dont know if I can listen to a weak sounding Bono.

Well, it's the same Popmart show they released on VHS, just in DVD format. It's Popmart: Mexico City.

His vocals were not bad at this show. He had better nights (Santiago), but I'd say his vocals were pretty good.

They replaced Bono's voice with James Earl Jones reading the lyrics.

It's quite powerful.

LemonMacPhisto said:
They replaced Bono's voice with James Earl Jones reading the lyrics.

It's quite powerful.

jejones.jpg

Boom-cha.

Boom-cha.

Discotheque.

I guess you don't have the VHS?

His voice was worse than it is now, but still quite good. He has some great (!) voice moments on that show too, for example Please, so fear not and enjoy.

Well, if Bono's voice is off one night it usally can make a show very good, more emoitonal. Because Bono gives his all insetad of being careful.

His voice on Mexico is weak, after the Sarajevo show his voice on Popmart where weak. For an example on WOWY and Streets you realy hear him having problem. Just for an example compare Streets, SATS and Please on that show to the Rotterdam show on Popmart(the bonus disc on the new dvd contains songs from the show). List of very good performences on Mexico:

Mofo
NYD
Please<Streets :drool:
Gone
WOWY
One
Desire

He seems to really struggle through the Mexico gig IMO, just not all that pleasant to listen to. I'd recommend getting your hands on Santiago 98 DVD instead, much better representation of the Pop tour. Bono's voice was great and the set list is one of the best.

Zooropean103 said:
His voice there is still miles better than on Boston or Chicago DVD, so there's really nothing to worry about.

I cant agree with you here, well Boston show is a realy low point. Sure the Chicago show wasnt Bono's best on Vertigo tour, notes he hit on Chicago(sing, feel) wouldnt have been possible on Popmart.

Bono's best show on Popmart? Well Rotterdam, Please<Streets, SATS :drool:

Last edited:
Average Popmart Bono-on-helium.

:shrug: I think by far his best night on that tour was Leeds. It sounds like Elevation Bono singing Pop songs.

U2girl said:
Average Popmart Bono-on-helium.

:shrug: I think by far his best night on that tour was Leeds. It sounds like Elevation Bono singing Pop songs.

or first four songs from Sarajevo:wink:

Zooropean103 said:
His voice there is still miles better than on Boston or Chicago DVD, so there's really nothing to worry about.
No way. His Pop voice was usually weak. Not only for some shows, but almost on every show. For me, it's sometimes hard to listen to any of these concerts. During the Pop tour, Bono looked and sounded quite strained. But that doesn't mean that he didn't have his good voice moments as well.
Since I am not a big fan of the Pop tour - it simply doesn't do much for me - I don't know if I even get the DVD, but if I decide to get it, the voice problem won't worry me too much.

I agree with Zooropean103, it's far from being perfect on PopMart Mexico, but it's way better than on Elevation Boston DVD

Peterrrrr said:

I cant agree with you here, well Boston show is a realy low point. Sure the Chicago show wasnt Bono's best on Vertigo tour, notes he hit on Chicago(sing, feel) wouldnt have been possible on Popmart.

Maybe, but could Bono on Chicago scream MOOOFOOO with such a power or sing the end of Please using such a beautiful falsetto? I highly doubt that. On Boston and Chicago DVD's his voice sounds too hoarse and strained for me. Of course there's completly different story with the Slane and Milan shows, on which Bono sounds just fabulous.

PS: oh and I really don't understand why anyone can stand the almost cringe-worthy versions of Bad and WOWY or Bono's "where the SHtreets have no name" from Boston DVD :wink:

the DVD was NOT released on 25th june as was expected and has been put back to September, is the short and sweet answer to yer question.

last unicorn said:

No way. His Pop voice was usually weak. Not only for some shows, but almost on every show. For me, it's sometimes hard to listen to any of these concerts. During the Pop tour, Bono looked and sounded quite strained. But that doesn't mean that he didn't have his good voice moments as well.
Since I am not a big fan of the Pop tour - it simply doesn't do much for me - I don't know if I even get the DVD, but if I decide to get it, the voice problem won't worry me too much.

Got to agree with you there, I saw 7 Popmart shows and they all rank in the bottom 10 of my "best U2 show" league. With the exception of Mofo, Miami and Last night on Earth, there are few memorable highlights from that tour IMO.

Zooropean103 said:

Maybe, but could Bono on Chicago scream MOOOFOOO with such a power or sing the end of Please using such a beautiful falsetto? I highly doubt that. On Boston and Chicago DVD's his voice sounds too hoarse and strained for me. Of course there's completly different story with the Slane and Milan shows, on which Bono sounds just fabulous.

PS: oh and I really don't understand why anyone can stand the almost cringe-worthy versions of Bad and WOWY or Bono's "where the SHtreets have no name" from Boston DVD :wink:

MOOOOOFOOOOO isnt that hard to hit, so yes I think that. And we all know was Bono's falsetto was capable to on Vertigo tour, have you heard the falsetto: Child in Mw, Highway to hell snippet on Vertigo, WITS...

I agree with the Boston things you wrote. On that show Bono's voice is off.

Peterrrrr said:

MOOOOOFOOOOO isnt that hard to hit, so yes I think that. And we all know was Bono's falsetto was capable to on Vertigo tour, have you heard the falsetto: Child in Mw, Highway to hell snippet on Vertigo, WITS...

I agree with the Boston things you wrote. On that show Bono's voice is off.

But we are talking about the Chicago show, not about the whole Vertigo tour, aren't we? If we're considering Bono's voice overall, then yes, I totally agree that Vertigo blows Popmart out of the water (btw I was the one who showed you the Highway to hell snippet :wink: ). Unfortunately Chicago DVD for me is a very clear "exception" and I can do nothing about it other than moan :shrug: However I can agree that it's not AS bad as on Boston DVD (after all these years "where the shhhtreets have no name" is still haunting me :lol: )

Zooropean103 said:

Vertigo era Bono could do the MOFO scream with his left pinky
( listen to the Slane DVD wailing between AIWIY-Streets, that owns MOFO anytime). His falsetto, while not what it was, is an improvement. Maybe not up there with Zoo TV or Popmart, but okay.

People rave about Slane and Milan but they don't sound that good to me. I prefer Boston from Elevation DVD, and Milan or Chicago, unfortunately, are an average at best representation of Vertigo era. Hopefully the U2 3-D will have some better vocals.

He sounds scratchy on the last two tours but that comes with the teritorry (age, smoking and the wear and tear of touring).

Probably the worst he has ever sounded on one of their concert recordings, imo.

Popmart Bono's voice is to me, his low point. It makes me frustrated because the tour had some bright spots, but they were too rare in comparison to Bono always sounding horse and out of breath. I mean the Mexico DVD version of I Will Follow, and With Or Without You make me cringe, he sounds so tired and unemotional. The last two tours have been a HUGE improvement in those two aspects alone.

Zooropean103 said:

But we are talking about the Chicago show, not about the whole Vertigo tour, aren't we? If we're considering Bono's voice overall, then yes, I totally agree that Vertigo blows Popmart out of the water (btw I was the one who showed you the Highway to hell snippet :wink: ). Unfortunately Chicago DVD for me is a very clear "exception" and I can do nothing about it other than moan :shrug: However I can agree that it's not AS bad as on Boston DVD (after all these years "where the shhhtreets have no name" is still haunting me :lol: )

No I think his voice are way better on Chicago, compare WOWY, WTSHNN and One to the versions on Mexico. And I think he could easy do MOOOOFOOO on that show.

Nothing wrong with it.

Sounds better then a lot of shows i've heard and he gives it his all, great versions of last night on earth etc.

Nah im looking forward to getting it!

Back
Top Bottom