Hot Press Survey 100 Greatest Albums

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Screwtape2

Blue Crack Addict
Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Dr
So on atu2.com I found this list that was recently released. It was a survey of Irish musicians. At # 1 was Revolver by the Beatles. Radiohead had two albums in the top 10. I was shocked at what was on the list and where those albums were positioned. The Joshua Tree was at # 11 and Achtung Baby #21.
So does this surprise anyone else?
There are three things that I raise my eyebrow to.
1. Two Radiohead albums above any U2 albums, does this mean Irish musicians like Radiohead more than U2?
2. Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love at # 17 above Achtung Baby. I love Kate but above Achtung Baby? According to Irish muscians no less.
3. Outside of The Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby no other U2 albums belongs in the top 100?

And one more discussion question: Is this backlash from the Irish musicians to being in the shadow of U2 because I assume whenever an Irish artist comes out that there must be some questions about U2?

And please don't look like an idiot and ask for a link to atU2.com.

Top-whatever lists serve society by selling more magazines and publications.
That's about all they're good for.

do you really need a list with high ranking U2 albums to validate the importance and significance of those albums?

Top 'whatever' lists will always be affected by recent releases / events & who you ask.

I was watching a programme the other day about the top ten most memorable tv events of all time, and all of them were post 1996. It was completely ridiculous.

likewise in top 100 albums, you're always going to get ones that won't stand the test of time.

There has always been a big anti-U2 stance taken by a lot of bands and muso types in Ireland, this is nothing new. To be fair to Hot Press though it a great music paper and has always supported U2 throughout this years. I'm sure if it was a poll of Hot Press readership, U2 would do a lot better.

Musicians are musicians, just as listeners are listeners, no matter what their nationality. I don't care for the Corrs or the Chieftans just because I'm Irish and they are too, so why should Irish musicians. Plus, U2's sound is not particularly Irish anyway. The great shame of this list is that they've picked the wrong albums in the wrong places. If we went into the discussion of where the albums are placed, then I'd point out Kid A at No. 47, 36 places below Joshua Tree. Now that's ridiculous!

What difference does it make to your personal opinion of an album if a Top 100 list doesn't put it in the highest spot? If lists based on public opinion influence you that much maybe you should avoid them??
Ps. Kid A should've been higher and two Radiohead albums in the Top 10 = :up:
:wink:

If any list doesn't include The Dark Side Of The Moon in the top 10 then is just bulls***, simply as that:eyebrow:

xaviMF22 said:
Oh Noes!!$% U2 is not at number....1.:| :|

get over it!:|

Radiohead fan! :tongue:

All kidding aside, these lists are horse-doody. Everyone knows this. Nothing to put too much thought into.

Canadiens1160 said:
Top-whatever lists serve society by selling more magazines and publications.
That's about all they're good for.

A part of that might be true, but I'm sure the writers are music fans themselves. As long as the lists get into why the rankings are ordered, I'm fully onboard. I can actually see why U2 ranked where they did. In terms of pure musicianship, those placings might be pretty accurate, or even generous.

Ellay said:
I was watching a programme the other day about the top ten most memorable tv events of all time, and all of them were post 1996. It was completely ridiculous.

The Who's performance on the Smothers Brothers needs to be on a list like that. :drool:

Anyway, I agree with the "top-whatever lists are useless" thing. They're fun to read though.

LemonMelon said:

Anyway, I agree with the "top-whatever lists are useless" thing. They're fun to read though.

Exactly, they're lists after all. Just a bit of fun. I actually enjoy magazines like Uncut and Mojo when they go on with these lists...they usually have commentaries from various artists explaining why they adore a certain song. Basically, lists just generate music talk. I like that just as much as a box of timbits* and a hot coffee.

*Canadian reference # 3571 (Timbit - small, round-shaped doughnut available at Tim Hortons coffee shops.)

U2 are by far and a way the most well-known Irish act of all time, I'm sure a lot of Irish people and especially Irish musicians are a little sick of hearing about them and their greatness, even if they do like the music.

You shouldn't take it out on Radiohead. They're one of the only interesting rock bands out right now, and one of the only ones that don't give a shit about pleasing people and continue to do their own thing. For still kicking ass in an era of crap, they definitely deserve the top 10 position.

Radiohead has done well of developing an image that sells to those that are anti image sort of a reverse phychology if you will. So they have their niche and will continue to exploit it and do it well, if they went more mainstream that niche would be gone and they know it as well as you and I know it.

JT was # 1 when Hot Press last did this type list in 1989. The fact that it's now at # 11 isn't so bad me thinks. & anyway, Q magazine writers/critics have just this month voted JT the # 1 best album of the 80's. :up: :cool:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom