Hola! Como esta?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBrazilianFly

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
Do you guys like it? I do. I wonder why those Spanish words and phrases are there? Maybe there's no real meaning, it's there just to do something different and it feels good. :up: I mean it's fun to listen to Bono counting in Spanish. :D It reminds me of The Clash's Should I Stay Or Should I Go. :lol:

I don't understand why he says one, two, three, fourteen? :shrug:

Lara Mullen said:
I don't understand why he says one, two, three, fourteen? :shrug:

I think there's no rational reason, the whole song seems to be about being lost in a very abstract world. The counting in a different language (for the band) instantly puts you in a foreign kind of situation. :ohmy:

Is 'como esta' what Edge sings after 'I'm at a place called Vertigo'? What does it mean in English? *barely knows a word of Spanish*

Amigos, after listening 20 times this song :yes: the Spanish words used in this song are:

"Un, Dos, Tres, Catorce" ( 1, 2, 3, 14 )

"Hola" ( Hello )

"¿Dónde Está?" ( Where is it ? )

:wave:

Well, since I´m a native Spanish spoken person, I can clearly recongnize they say "¿Dónde Está?" instead "¿Cómo Estás?"
Trust me guys :cool:

:up:

ponkine said:
Amigos, after listening 20 times this song :yes: the Spanish words used in this song are:

"Hola" ( Hello )

Well, since I´m a native Spanish spoken person, I can clearly recongnize they say "¿Dónde Está?" instead "¿Cómo Estás?"

Awesome, thank you muchly for that!

TheBrazilianFly said:
It reminds me of The Clash's Should I Stay Or Should I Go. :lol:

The very first thing I thought, especially when it continued through the song as a call-back to the chorus... it's like the Vines meets the Clash meets U2. I dig. I very much dig.

ponkine said:

"Hola" ( Hello )

I trust you! Thanks! :up:

when I heard about this, I didnt like it but it really fits with the song and I like the way Bono says it. :wink:

I think isn't "Donde esta?" is "Donde estas?" that is more common

edit: but I don't know, this last time that I played the song makes me doubt :p

Jack In The Box said:
I think isn't "Donde esta?" is "Donde estas?" that is more common

edit: but I don't know, this last time that I played the song makes me doubt :p

Hola amigo :wave: I don´t hear any "S" at the end of "¿Dónde Está?" :yes: also, as I explained above, that means "Where is it ?" so they response Bono´s line "I´m in a place called Vertigo" asking "Where is it?" ( "¿Dónde Está?" )

do you understand the lyric now ? :cool:

ponkine said:

"Hola" ( Hello )

¿Dónde Está? also makes more sense (in a song that's probably not meant to be sensible :wink: ) because they sing this after Bono says "in a place called Vertigo" (so they are asking where it is).

I think the Spanish lines give the song a playful touch that was missing in the much more serious and sincere ATYCLB.
I love it!

ponkine said:

Hola amigo :wave: I don´t hear any "S" at the end of "¿Dónde Está?" :yes: also, as I explained above, that means "Where is it ?" so they response Bono´s line "I´m in a place called Vertigo" asking "Where is it?" ( "¿Dónde Está?" )

do you understand the lyric now ? :cool:

you're right, that have sense

y soy amiga ;) I know, my nick is confuse...

ramblin rose said:
Can't you just hear this live with the audience doing the Hola and Donde Esta, it's going to be awesome.

definetly. getting chills as i type this....

TheFirstBigW said:
I think the Spanish lines give the song a playful touch that was missing in the much more serious and sincere ATYCLB.
I love it!

I agree with that. :yes:

ramblin rose said:
Can't you just hear this live with the audience doing the Hola and Donde Esta, it's going to be awesome.

:hmm:

I'm starting to get the whole lyrical picture now:

the "counting" intro is a nod to the Ramones (Famous for counting in every song)

and the Spanish lyrics throughout are a nod to The Clash.

Very Punk Rock indeed !:wink:

Agree. My thoughts exactly.

And I think it's funny. I think Bono and Larry had this converation in the past.

Bono: "Hello hello"
Larry (who loves Spain): "Hola"
Bono: "I'm at a place called Vertigo"
Larry: "¿Dónde Está?"

OK, that's it. I've had too much. Vertigo boycot for at least an hour. :wink:

Yes, I'm loving the Spanish and the counting and how it echoes the ramones and the clash, great observations!

But I'm feeling also like it's not just that...like the clash's sandinistas stuff...also referencing the attacks on spain 3/11 and the war spain wanted to 'get the check' on...
part of it feels like bono is singing as the spanish soldier in the field as they're getting pulled out...

3 + 11 = catorce, si?!

ShellBeThere said:
Yes, I'm loving the Spanish and the counting and how it echoes the ramones and the clash, great observations!

But I'm feeling also like it's not just that...like the clash's sandinistas stuff...also referencing the attacks on spain 3/11 and the war spain wanted to 'get the check' on...
part of it feels like bono is singing as the spanish soldier in the field as they're getting pulled out...

3 + 11 = catorce, si?!

Don't know if that's what he is singing about or whatever but it sure sounds good! :) Good thinking! :up:

Back
Top Bottom