Hits And Misses: Let Us Know How Your U2 Crystal Ball Fared...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
I think I have the murkiest crystal ball the past few months. Here is a list of my predictions relating to HTDAAB that I have publicly made but have gone awry:

1. Mullen Apology will let the album jump back up the charts and stay there. (It didn't. Album made a one-week rise to #20 before falling massively)

2. The album is on its way to chart-falling destiny. (It has been climbing up the charts the past two weeks)

3. For the non-HTDAAB songs on the tour, an overwhelming majority would be "hits played (Running To Stand Still, Electric Co, An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart, Zoo Station, 40, The Fly, Bullet The Blue Sky all proved me wrong)

4. Love And Peace Or Else will not be played live (obviously it was).

5. ATYCLB was U2's last stand and their overexposure during that time wouldn't make the public hungry for the follow-up album. (The strong debut and initial sales of HTDAAB combined with Vertigo's chart success proved me wrong).

But despite these glaring misses, I have also had some "hits" in my crystal ball. Here are some of them:

1. HTDAAB will outsell POP.

2. Mullen's u2.com apology was just the tip of a bigger iceberg (which turned out to be the Grammy Mullen Apology).

3. They will not play any POP songs in full during the Vertigo Tour (so far none have been played).

Now, we can all say the album is already running its course and we more or less know what is going on. So I'd like to ask you guys what predictions you made over the past few months concerning U2's albums - and which ones were hits and misses.

As for me, I know many value my posts and opinions but I'd just like to add a word of caution. It looks like my once clear crystal ball keeps on getting murkier so perhaps when I post more of my bold predictions in the future - you people need not blindly follow. My track record has been awful as of late.

So what are your hits and misses? I am sure there are those who predicted LAPOE and/or COBL will be the opener --- come out in the open now and admit your "hit". While there are those who predicted a 0 of 3 or 1 of 3 Grammy performance by U2. Maybe you can contribute and admit your "miss." I have already given mine.

Cheers,

J

jick said:
As for me, I know many value my posts and opinions but I'd just like to add a word of caution. It looks like my once clear crystal ball keeps on getting murkier so perhaps when I post more of my bold predictions in the future - you people need not blindly follow. My track record has been awful as of late.

Wow, thanks for the advice. Maybe you should stop posting. :shrug:

LOL! Jick, you are a character.

HTDAAB is #34 on the U.S. charts. I don't really consider this a "massive" drop. Will the album bounce around? Of course, but that's true for any successful album. It would be nice if U2's albums bounced around in the top 20, but alas, they aren't in their 20's or early 30's, so their albums tend to bounce around in the Top 50.

As for HTDAAB outselling "Pop", I think that was a given from before the album was even recorded! U2 were coming off of ATYCLB, which sold a monstrous 4.2M copies in the U.S, and a very successful tour. They won a Golden Globe and tons of Grammy awards. All HTDAAB had to do was sell 1.5M copies in the U.S. and it would outsell "Pop". So that was a pretty safe prediction.

As for poor "Pop" - give the tour time. U2 may still incorporate such beauties as "Staring at the Sun", "Mofo" (I can see an altered version of this song for this tour) and/or "Wake Up Dead Man". I mean, who would've predicted "An Cat Dubh" (sp?) to be played at all on this tour, let alone on opening night?! :ohmy: Therefore, don't be too quick on your predictions there.

jick said:

1. HTDAAB will outsell POP.

2. Mullen's u2.com apology was just the tip of a bigger iceberg (which turned out to be the Grammy Mullen Apology).

3. They will not play any POP songs in full during the Vertigo Tour (so far none have been played).

1. As Doctor Who pointed out, this was a given.

2. :wink:

3. They won't go the entire tour without playing something from that album. "Staring at the Sun" is an easy acoustic track that sounds fantastic while "Gone" is one of their favorites to play.

Back
Top Bottom