Hidden Track on ZOOROPA vs. "A Man and a Woman"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

If you shout...

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Discuss.

And before everybody starts yelling about this being a "random" comparison, just remember this: these are EASILY the two most sonically disagreeable songs the band has ever recorded, love them or hate them. Me? I don't like it when my ears get fucked in the ass all savage-like.

So...

I have to choose the hidden track. It's just a WHOLE hell of a lot less painful, you know? And it never made me laugh out loud, either. It's got integrity, see?

Hidden Track: 1
"A Man and a Woman": 0

I'm hoping for a shut-out here, otherwise I'm going to lose all faith not only in Interference, but in humanity in general.

The siren is definitely underrated. AMAAW is worse than a root canal (and the Dentist's office is the type of venue I expect to hear that song in)

OK I Was gonna say the siren too, cuz there is no other track on Zooropa I can think of so count me in. It is indeed annoying...I usually scan past it if I can.

And I LOVE this line: I don't like it when my ears get fucked in the ass all savage-like.
:lol: :up: :applaud: VERY well put, If You Shout!!

I'd like to vote for the dead air before the siren, thanks.

Really, this one's a no-brainer. :tsk:

It's truly a shame that some of you philistines here don't 'get' The Siren. Unlike the accessible, Britney Spears recycled pop garbage that is A Man and a Woman, The Siren actually makes you THINK about the music. Personally, I still don't "LIKE" The Siren, per say, but that's just how I know that it's good. It's inaccessibility reveals its true quality. And trust me, its unrivaled.

:drool:

XHendrix24 said:
Unlike the accessible, Britney Spears recycled pop garbage that is A Man and a Woman, The Siren actually makes you THINK about the music. Personally, I still don't "LIKE" The Siren, per say, but that's just how I know that it's good. It's inaccessibility reveals its true quality.

:lmao:!!!

XHendrix24 said:
Really, this one's a no-brainer. :tsk:

It's truly a shame that some of you philistines here don't 'get' The Siren. Unlike the accessible, Britney Spears recycled pop garbage that is A Man and a Woman, The Siren actually makes you THINK about the music. Personally, I still don't "LIKE" The Siren, per say, but that's just how I know that it's good. It's inaccessibility reveals its true quality. And trust me, its unrivaled.

:drool:

Oh I totally agree. Clearly, The Siren...no. Why the fuck are we calling it The Siren? U2 didn't call it The Siren. The track DOESN'T EVEN HAVE A NAME. That's how fuckin' deep it is, man. A Man and a Woman sucks because it has a name and uses the predictable, "vocals, bass, drums, and guitar" formula. Please. We've had enough of that. I like my music to be so experimental that I hate it and it can't even really be classified as music, because obviously that's far more meaningful than any of the contrived shit on HTDAAB.

XHendrix24 said:
accessible

How the fuck much crack is you smoking?

I'm talking about the "A Man and a Woman" from How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb. You know...track seven...?

The one that sounds like the hookless death of your closest loved one set to a pedestrian beat and accompanied by a bassline flagrantly stolen from "Endless Deep."

"accessible"...?

FUCK THAT.

More like "sinful".

Okay, counting Zootle's post as a vote, here are the totals so far...

Hidden Track (aka, "Siren"): 8

And I'd like to remind people that this thread isn't a joke, so please vote as you feel is appropriate.

The only joke is that the band seriously wrote, recorded, and INCLUDED ON AN ALBUM a track like "A Man and a Woman." And then they had the obscene lack of decency to actually talk non-shit about the song and praise it as something other than nothing.

Hideous, I know...but true.

If you shout... said:

:mad:

Dead air before Hidden Track (aka "Siren"): 1

Fixed.

Axver said:

Fixed.

Wait, why does the hidden track have 8 votes?

I think you mean 28 votes.

AtomicBono said:

Wait, why does the hidden track have 8 votes?

I think you mean 28 votes.

Why isn't anyone voting for the dead air? It's so deep and experimental that it's not even musical!

The siren rises sharply and suddenly, then hits full volume. It then only registers three beeps at full volume, then stops. This is clearly representative of the band. It's symbolic of artistic creation within the band, then registering votes on said creation. Bono checks in. Edge checks in. Adam checks in. Larry doesn't, no fourth strong beep. The song is done there and then and we will never know what was to come next. It serves as a message to the fans. The band would never break ranks on such a thing openly or publicly, all we have is this encoded reminder at the end of the album that what Larry giveth, he taketh away. The artistic inspiration is sparked from the darkness and sharply comes together to a startling and stunning new sound. Larry then pulls the plug. It is a timely reminder as you get to the end of Zooropa, that such a truly creative and original explosion of talent should be taken as a true gift, for Larry will generally pull the plug on such madness. He started the band on his terms, and he will end on his terms too. This should always be programmed directly BEFORE Man & A Woman on any compilation CD so that you remember what Larry pulling the plug does to U2.

Axver said:

Fixed.

Sorry, Ax. It's a two-trick pony--no exceptions.

Your vote and Brau's vote don't count, although you're more than free to your off-topic opinions.

PlaTheGreat said:
I'll give a vote to The Siren threefold. :drool:

:up:

I've previously referred to it as The Beep. It's great at freaking out the entire family when played on the home stereo early in the morning :D

Earnie Shavers said:
This should always be programmed directly BEFORE Man & A Woman on any compilation CD so that you remember what Larry pulling the plug does to U2.

Haha! That was great!

Earnie Shavers said:
The siren rises sharply and suddenly, then hits full volume. It then only registers three beeps at full volume, then stops. This is clearly representative of the band. It's symbolic of artistic creation within the band, then registering votes on said creation. Bono checks in. Edge checks in. Adam checks in. Larry doesn't, no fourth strong beep. The song is done there and then and we will never know what was to come next. It serves as a message to the fans. The band would never break ranks on such a thing openly or publicly, all we have is this encoded reminder at the end of the album that what Larry giveth, he taketh away. The artistic inspiration is sparked from the darkness and sharply comes together to a startling and stunning new sound. Larry then pulls the plug. It is a timely reminder as you get to the end of Zooropa, that such a truly creative and original explosion of talent should be taken as a true gift, for Larry will generally pull the plug on such madness. He started the band on his terms, and he will end on his terms too. This should always be programmed directly BEFORE Man & A Woman on any compilation CD so that you remember what Larry pulling the plug does to U2.

I think that is the best post in the history of Interference.

You've captured the beauty and innovation of the siren perfectly. It's probably the most artistic statement U2 has ever made. What I don't understand is why everyone is always talking about songs like "One" and "Where the Streets Have No Name." As if they could even hold a candle to the raw passion and emotion of the hidden siren track. Surely if U2 had not made this song hidden, more people would know of its brilliance, yet that would also probably take away the song's meaning, because songs are only good if no one knows about them, like Mercy.

Zootlesque said:
Can somebody post the lyrics to The Siren please? I can't find it anywhere on the internet! :confused:

Don't worry about it, man. I've got them in my AIM profile so everyone can see what deep and profound taste in music I have.

Originally posted by The Siren
BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

What's that? It doesn't make any sense you say?

That's what makes it so mindblowingly amazingtastical. :drool:

AtomicBono said:

I think that is the best post in the history of Interference.

You've captured the beauty and innovation of the siren perfectly. It's probably the most artistic statement U2 has ever made. What I don't understand is why everyone is always talking about songs like "One" and "Where the Streets Have No Name." As if they could even hold a candle to the raw passion and emotion of the hidden siren track. Surely if U2 had not made this song hidden, more people would know of its brilliance, yet that would also probably take away the song's meaning, because songs are only good if no one knows about them, like Mercy.

Indeed. :applaud:

And Earnie, truer words have never been spoken.

Zootlesque said:
The Siren posts here? :shifty:

He's probably Fake Siren!

Nahhh he's Fake Siren's cousin. Even Fake Siren knows that the lyrics of the hidden track we call the siren cannot be contained simply with the words "BEEP BEEP BEEP". Those sounds are more than just beeps. Much more.

Back
Top Bottom