Hidden Track on ZOOROPA vs. "A Man and a Woman"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm a girl and no, I don't like AMAAW either! It's my least fave off the album and the one I always skip and never listen to and I've TRIED, damnit, because I hate when songs defeat me like that, but it's no use. The worst bit is when he goes on about stray dogs, that grates so badly with me and it stops me even pretending to like that song.

Hey look, I contradicted my own 'I like all U2 songs' topic! I rule. ;) But then I think I discounted AMAAW automatically on the grounds that I erased it from my brain.

The Siren gets my vote. It's on Zooropa, how can it be wrong?

If you shout... said:

I, "The Siren," and Mr. Larry Mullen have two words for you.

The Siren > A Man and a Woman

if you didn't think I meant that before :wink:

LemonMacPhisto said:

The Siren > A Man and a Woman

if you didn't think I meant that before :wink:

Oh, I know. I guess I was too vague. I meant to say, "I, 'The Siren,' and Mr. Larry Mullen have two words and a number for you."

Those two words and a number?

SIREN 4 PREZ

If you shout... said:

Oh, I know. I guess I was too vague. I meant to say, "I, 'The Siren,' and Mr. Larry Mullen have two words and a number for you."

Those two words and a number?

SIREN 4 PREZ

I'd vote for him

or the guy from 24

if they ran together I'd be happy

If you shout... said:

As long as "A Man and a Woman" aren't sharing the ticket, I'm right as rizain.

I think it's running w/ Hilary Clinton

ironically, she's not the woman

kafrun said:

yes, I'm a woman, but that doesn't mean I like sappy love songs :madwife:

As for it being 'adult contemporary crap', I used to work retail. I had to listen to actual adult contemporary crap alllllll day long :crack: AMAAW doesn't fit that description IMHO. But to each their own :yes:

That's just it! It's not sappy at all. Bono doesn't tend write them or doesn't allow them to be recorded. That's what I like about their love songs, they're not sappy at all. No pandering, no "hey baby, love you baby, hold my hand...etc."

Fans want U2 to experiment, do something they don't usually do, and A Man & a Woman isn't quite like any of their other songs, and a fricken siren is liked more.

The bassline is carrying the song really.

*Yeah I'm sure there's sarcasm in this poll but come on*

"Only at interference"

That should be a tagline for this forum :eyebrow:

i don't think AMAAW is uncharted territory for U2. They've done this quiet moody meander before (Love Comes Tumbling rings a bell). However, they forgot to write a decent song this time around. Groovy bassline though. Too bad it was wasted. And Bono contributes more lyrics that are anti-romance. "Losing love to find romance." My advice, buddy: forget your wife, go out and find romance...and a better song.

a siren, in this case, that called out to me long distance, and, sent me crashing back into these blue cracked shores. I left continents, oceans and time zones behind, and if it weren't for this siren thread, I might have made it back to society (at large).

Though I genuinely prefer Track #7, my vote goes to the siren.

she does her job well.

After 7 pages of this, it has to be said - the Siren is over-rated. Yep. It's true. It's one of those huge hits that everyone loves - but U2 suck at performing it in concert. It just doesn't transition well live even though it sounds great on the album. I guess it lacks the passion that was put on the album - U2 just can't match that passion night after night.

So yes, it's time the Siren was retired. And U2 have so many other great songs - I hate that they're known only for the Siren. It's a shame. :tsk:

thrillme said:

The bassline is carrying the song really.

The bassline was written like 20 years ago, though. That's (only part of) the problem. The whole nauseating thing doesn't help out "A Man and a Woman" too much, either.

While there are many reasons for the shittacularness of this song, it basically boils down to the same stuff that made "With a Shout" so unredeemably embarrassing back in the olden times.

As I stated to get this little show on the road, these are the two most overtly objectionable "songs" (maybe "exercises" is a better word, though I hesitate to give the newer tune even that much credit) the band has ever recorded. I'm just glad that ONE of them has at least some merit, sarcastically or otherwise.

I'm just pleased as punch that in spite of all the band's bullshit about how "A Man and a Stolen Bassline" is a great song or whatever, they undercut these sentiments literally every single night while on the road by never playing it. And then they obviously never even consider it as a single (what with them not being retarded enough to exploit such a song). Hypocrisy can be a magnificent thing, especially when it protects you from gigantic, public embarrassment. I'll take the lip-service any day of the week, just so long as I never need to hear this one, ever again.

If you shout... said:

The bassline was written like 20 years ago, though.

What song has the bassline been stolen from?

btw, I like Without A Shout. It has a great bassline too! :drool:

Adam stole a bassline from himself? :rolleyes:

Is it like 4 notes the same? A full measure the same? They're the exact same basslines the entire songs? A "man & a woman", it even sounds like there's more going on than "endless deep." I saw the actual standard notation for 'A man & a woman.'

I like "With a Shout" too, October is in my top 5. If those are the 2 worst U2 songs ever, wow, not bad. I can think of 4 or 5 songs by other bands I can't stand, sometimes on the same album.

I've listened to "Endless Deep" and "A man & a woman" a few times back to back a few minutes ago, and I've probably listened to "A man & a woman" more times than I'd like to admit.

If you hate "A Man & a Woman" so much, can't listen to it, how can you say it has the same basslines as "Endless Deep."

I im'd someone who knows a lot of Adam's basslines, been playing for many years, I'm waiting to hear it from this guy.

I dabble in bass playing, I can actually read music, but anyone have the tabs for Endless Deep?

Not really a big deal, but if this is true, I'd like to see some sort of proof, other than someone just hating a U2 song and looking for any excuse. You hate the song, just say it but this whole thread is ridiculous.

I've seen many a thread making fun of U2.com, the people that post there, but there's nothing as silly as this thread over there, at least not in regards to U2.

I'll admit "Crumbs from Your Table" sounds very similar to "Electrical Storm" the b-side version, the guitar, but again, similar. If it's like 4 notes the same, that's not enough to say it's stolen.

Last edited:
While I happen to like AMAAW, I'm not going to deny that I was laughing out loud reading this thread....

If you shout... said:

The bassline was written like 20 years ago, though.

Yeah, I'd like to know what bassline you are referring to as well.

I love when people can stir shit, but can't give facts.

doubleU said:

Yeah, I'd like to know what bassline you are referring to as well.

I love when people can stir shit, but can't give facts.

Okay, I'll just give the standard response to you: Larry's two words of choice. Also, I'm referring to the bassline in the song. Which other one might I be referring to...? Also, how the FUCK am I supposed to back myself up when I'm not even logged in, turkey? If only I were the only person having such trouble with you. Jayzus...

Anyway, on to responding to a real question/something other than a vague (and, yeah, MAYBE ha-ha-unintentional) semi-attack...

Originally posted by thrillme

Adam stole a bassline from himself?

Is it like 4 notes the same? A full measure the same? They're the exact same basslines the entire songs? A "man & a woman", it even sounds like there's more going on than "endless deep." I saw the actual standard notation for 'A man & a woman.'

I like "With a Shout" too, October is in my top 5. If those are the 2 worst U2 songs ever, wow, not bad. I can think of 4 or 5 songs by other bands I can't stand, sometimes on the same album.

I've listened to "Endless Deep" and "A man & a woman" a few times back to back a few minutes ago, and I've probably listened to "A man & a woman" more times than I'd like to admit.

If you hate "A Man & a Woman" so much, can't listen to it, how can you say it has the same basslines as "Endless Deep."

I im'd someone who knows a lot of Adam's basslines, been playing for many years, I'm waiting to hear it from this guy.

I dabble in bass playing, I can actually read music, but anyone have the tabs for Endless Deep?

Not really a big deal, but if this is true, I'd like to see some sort of proof, other than someone just hating a U2 song and looking for any excuse. You hate the song, just say it but this whole thread is ridiculous.

I've seen many a thread making fun of U2.com, the people that post there, but there's nothing as silly as this thread over there, at least not in regards to U2.

I'll admit "Crumbs from Your Table" sounds very similar to "Electrical Storm" the b-side version, the guitar, but again, similar. If it's like 4 notes the same, that's not enough to say it's stolen.

Okay, I have to admit RIGHT up front that I play no instruments and can't play any songs except for the first four chords of "Stairway to Heaven"--and that ain't too much! Also, I have to congratulate you on a perfectly worded, executed, and even theorized post. Honestly, I say that with no trace of irony or whatever. You know a LOT more than I do, and I bow at your feet on this matter. I may be wrong at the deepest roots of musical theory, but I dunno about all them shits.

Bottom line: if you listen to the first :19 of "A Man and a Woman" and then follow that up with :20-:25 in "Endless Deep," I don't know that it's possible to miss the flagrant similarities. Maybe this bothers you, maybe it doesn't, and maybe it's not nearly as ripoff-ish as is "With a Shout," but I can't ignore it. I hear it loud and clear. And, even though the song (which I brought up, yes) is mostly off-topic, I should qualify anything I say with the obligatory, "Yes, I do love October more than most, although I'm not deaf--it's not perfect, original or otherwise."

Anyway, this is for fuckin' sure--"The Siren" (as we're calling it, I guess) sounds a lot less like any preceding U2 song than the bassline in "A Man and a Woman Sucks" sounds like the one in "Endless Deep." Surely this is undeniable, love or hate either song as you might.

Achtung_Bebe said:

It's With a Shout :rant:

let me demonstrate the difference:

With a Shout :scream:

Without a Shout :silent:

mmmmm k?

:lmao:

all sarcasm aside:

I love A Man and a Woman. I really do. I don't understand why everyone seems to hate it, but I don't care.

If you shout... said:

Okay, I'll just give the standard response to you: Larry's two words of choice. Also, I'm referring to the bassline in the song. Which other one might I be referring to...? Also, how the FUCK am I supposed to back myself up when I'm not even logged in, turkey? If only I were the only person having such trouble with you. Jayzus...

Anyway, on to responding to a real question/something other than a vague (and, yeah, MAYBE ha-ha-unintentional) semi-attack...

Okay, I have to admit RIGHT up front that I play no instruments and can't play any songs except for the first four chords of "Stairway to Heaven"--and that ain't too much! Also, I have to congratulate you on a perfectly worded, executed, and even theorized post. Honestly, I say that with no trace of irony or whatever. You know a LOT more than I do, and I bow at your feet on this matter. I may be wrong at the deepest roots of musical theory, but I dunno about all them shits.

Bottom line: if you listen to the first :19 of "A Man and a Woman" and then follow that up with :20-:25 in "Endless Deep," I don't know that it's possible to miss the flagrant similarities. Maybe this bothers you, maybe it doesn't, and maybe it's not nearly as ripoff-ish as is "With a Shout," but I can't ignore it. I hear it loud and clear. And, even though the song (which I brought up, yes) is mostly off-topic, I should qualify anything I say with the obligatory, "Yes, I do love October more than most, although I'm not deaf--it's not perfect, original or otherwise."

Sorry, champ, I can't hear it. Not the same bassline.

And I love AMAAW. :shrug:

namkcuR said:

How can you steal something that you already own?

I've only listened to Endless Deep a couple of times and I don't even remember the bassline, so I don't have an answer here. But.. what you're talking about is 'recycling ideas', not stealing! Btw, I'm not saying they recycled with AMAAW.

Zootlesque said:

I've only listened to Endless Deep a couple of times and I don't even remember the bassline, so I don't have an answer here. But.. what you're talking about is 'recycling ideas', not stealing! Btw, I'm not saying they recycled with AMAAW.

I know you didn't say 'stolen'. If You Shout did.

Back
Top Bottom