HEY GUITAR PLAYERS!!!!!!!!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love playing "The Ground Beneath her Feet". Especially when I'm sad.
I've recorded a TGBHF version with vocals, but I'm too shy to post it here.
smile.gif

------------------

Got to walk out of here, I can't take anymore
Gonna stand on that bridge, keep my eyes down below
Whatever may come and whatever may go
that river's flowing

"Don't Give Up", Peter Gabriel

thanks mikal and cure. oh comon post your song. i too sing and play the guitar at the same time in the mic.and have recorded a bunch of u2 songs from new years day to walk on. all of em.all i have to do is get the cords right and ill be on my way.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

Originally posted by UnforgettableLemon:
I'm getting my first guitar for Christmas, and my friend's basically really good at guitar, so instead of taking lessons par se, he's just gonna help me learn some songs to start off(I'll have to give him the tabs, he doesn't know any U2... yet). What do you recommend I start with?

BTW: It's an electric. Acoustic guitars are too awkward for me.

[This message has been edited by UnforgettableLemon (edited 10-05-2001).]

Go to
http://www.stoneyend.com/MNprice.html

and order a dozen Herdim blue nylon guitar picks. They're the kind the Edge uses. They have a dimpled grip, and the Edge holds the pick upside down and strikes the strings with the dimpled part of the pick. Try it and you'll be amazed at the results.

Also, get a Fender Stratocaster guitar if you can. Some models aren't too expensive, and the Strat is the guitar the Edge uses most frequently (out of the 20 different guitars he uses).

[This message has been edited by speedracer (edited 10-05-2001).]

FIGURE 1 (Play twice)
e--------------------------------4-----------------
b-----5-5-5-----5---------5-5-5----5--------------
g--2----------2-----2---2--------------------------
d--------------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------------
thats the song i still havent found what im looking for. now plese tell me.how should i play why the eight 5. so how should i pull this off.

------------------
"BONO'S PRAYER HEAVENS AIR"

Dont believe the devil i dont believe his book.

The middle-eight for ISHFWILF is basically

e--0---0--0-0---0-0-0---0---0-0
b--2---3--2-2---2-3-3---3---2-2
g--2---2--2-2---2-2-2---2---2-2
d--2---2--2-2---2-2-2---2---2-2
a------------------------------
e------------------------------

just A and Asus4 chords.

Also, capo up 4 frets.

In ISHFWILF, I don't know why they play
e--------------------------------4-----------
b-----5-5-5-----5---------5-5-5----5---------
g--2----------2-----2---2--------------------
d--------------------------------------------
a--------------------------------------------
e--------------------------------------------

When it's so easier to play
e-----0-0-0-----0---------0-0-0--4-0---------
b--------------------------------------------

You don't have to stretch your fingers to reach the 5th fret...

I'm still learning too. I have problems changing chords (like in Desire) but I guess I'll get it someday!

i like playing bad, one, all i want is u, i will follow, sunday bloody sunday, with or without u, elvation, streets, pride, and that cool discoteque riff and in alittle while riff. i think i mispelled that.
if u dont know hw to play guitar...LEARN!
its realluy cool

I really kick ass at Stay now.

Thom's bitch? How did you know!

(The ghost of mikal lives. So does Hulkamania.)

Stay
Stuck ?
Streets
IALW
I will follow
Trying to throw your arms.......
One
Mysterious ways
Sunday bloody sunday
Pride
Discotheque

basically all of them!
biggrin.gif

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Lemons, the chicks- they love the lemon"
-Bono in Rotterdam-

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

[This message has been edited by Lemonboy (edited 03-22-2002).]

I think U2 songs are generally quite easy to play rythm wise.

I also know that Edge loves to play quite a few of his solos all along the same string.
I believe he plays a lot of his solos along the B string.

Every U2 song is in standard tuning too (EADGBE)which makes them simple to play and very easy to learn.

Probably my favourite song to play would be Until The End Of The World. I also love Desire and Mysterious Ways because they are so simple, yet so brilliant.

mikal!!!!!!!

Come back!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

My favourites include:
One (the first one I learned)
Streets
Bad
Desire
Pride
Walk On
Kite
Stuck
Until The End of the World
Sunday Bloody Sunday

All I Want Is You; the Electric Co. (though not very well); Out of Control; Bad

Also, i like to play the coda on Walk to the Water and the solo on If You Wear That Velvet Dress.

I'd like to be good enough some day to play as subtly as Edge does on Promenade...

Happy Birthday...it's all I can play so far
rolleyes.gif

------------------
"Whenever you see this kind of darkness, there is an extraordinary opportunity for the light to burn brighter." -Bono

"Why doesn't anyone molest him?" -My mom, when Bono was walking through the crowd at the halftime show

u2er@u2email.com

Originally Post By Badyouken
n ISHFWILF, I don't know why they play
e--------------------------------4-----------
b-----5-5-5-----5---------5-5-5----5---------

When it's so easier to play
e-----0-0-0-----0---------0-0-0--4-0---------
b--------------------------------------------

It's actually easier to play it the first way you mentioned. Plus the tone sounds way better then the second way.

------------------
"Yep...Silver and Gold!!!" - Bono

We'll Shine Like Stars In The Summer Nights...

I'm an acoustic player, mostly, so it always pisses me off that U2 doesn't do "Unplugged" or the Bridge School Concert.

That said, a lot of U2 songs sound great acoustic. Some, they have done in concert, like SBS, which I almost think is better than the original if the drums weren't so damn cool. SBS was the first song I ever performed live (a coffee house, open mic, twenty people, glorious!). "ISHFWILF" I play with G and C/G to give it a Dylan-esque/folksy feel.

Others, I've had to figure out on my own. I got "Please" down after I heard the Elvis Costello version, and it actually sounded pretty close to what the Edge ended up doing live in Baltimore later. Believe it or not, I think UTEOTW sounds darker and punctuates more when stripped down. "In God's Country" is another one I love, and "Mysterious Ways" is great for that "I can't believe he's playing MW acoustic" shock value
smile.gif
I try not to make it sound like George Michael's "Faith," but hey, it's fun no matter what. I also arranged HMTMKMKM, which surprised me more than others by how well it worked.

The two I really want to learn are "Drowning Man" and "Pride." I tried DM with just chords and no harmonics, and it sounds banal (and is too high for me anyway). I need to change harmonics more quickly before I can pull that one off. Damnit, I can HEAR in my mind what a good acoustic Pride would sound like but I CAN'T FIGURE IT OUT! Electric fingerings are usually a good starting point for acoustic arrangements, but not in this case. AUUUUGGGGGHHHHH!!!!

On a side note, I think guitar-wise my tastes have regressed. When I first started two years ago, I dove right into all the hard stuff, like Clapton, Nick Drake, and George Harrison. Now, you know who I love to play the most? DYLAN. The easiest guitar player EVER. Once you learn G, C, and D, that's 80% of his songs. And yet, he's still a frickin' genius. DAMNIT DYLAN, WHY DO YOUR SIMPLE ASS SONGS HAVE TO BE SO DAMN GOOD??!! Pretty soon, I won't be able to bend or slide, I'm sure
smile.gif

[This message has been edited by Auxtung Beibi (edited 03-25-2002).]

Originally posted by Badyouken:
e

The reason is that the Edge lets all the notes ring out to give it that lush thick vibrant tone, and so it wouldn't work if he played two of the notes on the same string.

On a separate notes, I can't believe no-one has mention my favourite on to play - BULLET THE BLUE SKY! This is my favourite, becuase there's so much you can do with it. There's so many different ways of playing it. You can play the bluesy Joshua Tree way, you can play the electric Zoo TV version, the bouncy playful Popmart Way, or the angry passionate Elevation way (the latter being my favourite). + the solo is to die for.

Other great ones to play - Gone, Love is Blindness, WTSHNN, Bad.

I don't like to play pride, because I'm crap, and I always hit the D string when I try to play the riff.

Beautiful Day is lush too. And stay - gorgeus. Acoustic Desire can be fun. Elevation is good, but the sounds the Edge gets are very specific and hard to emulate. until the End of the World is a good one.

Does anyone have the faintest idea how the Edge plays stuff like Mofo, Lemon and Daddy's Gonna Pay for your crashed car?

------------------
Watch More TV, ITs your world you can change it, taste is the enemy of art, Every thing you know if wrong, mock the devil, and he will flee from thee
www.geocities.com/nshaikspike/evil.html

Auxtung Beibi, you have to tell me how you play Until the End of the World & Mysterious Ways with an acoustic! I can't believe it even sounds decent!

Tell me!

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

My faves are:

Walk On
UTEOTW
Electric co
Bad
Streets

But the best 2 are:

11 o'clock tick tock
A day without me

Oh and In god's Country is pretty cool (the first song I learnt on the guitar...)

jules.

Originally posted by Badyouken:
e

because its easier and u dont have to move your fingers at all, all you do is pick ur way through it, whilst in your way your forced to move your left hand fingers.

I PLAY ONE.....
wink.gif

------------------
" I can sing just like Bono, i can do that whole lemon falsetto exactly like him" -- me

"...u know how you can make people jealous by saying good stuff about you thats not even true?" - also me

Back
Top Bottom