Here's what I'm worried about... - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2006, 11:58 PM   #31
Refugee

Local Time: 06:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque
Axver is right on the money here!

catlhere, I love your posts and think they're funny as hell... but I have to say your anti-Pop anti-Mofo bias shows really well in most of your serious posts!

How can you generalize like that and say that most of this forum wants 90s U2 to return???

I agree catlhere is somewhat biased, but come on, you should be aware of your own bias here too..

Old 02-11-2006, 12:03 AM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
HTDAAB is more edgy rock than anything else they've ever done.
what exactly do you mean by edgy rock? The album sounds more like a mainstream pop/rock album to me.

Old 02-11-2006, 12:04 AM   #33
New Yorker

Local Time: 10:49 AM
Man, I don't know, I suck with genres. But it sounds different from their other shit to me, and not in a watered down way (well, not the good half of it).
Old 02-11-2006, 12:05 AM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:49 PM
It sounds like U2 to my ears.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:10 AM   #35
Blue Crack Supplier

For the last time... it's not about the sound, it's about the lyrics!!! That's what's wrong with current U2!

*bangs head repeatedly to a post around which a dead horse is tied*

Old 02-11-2006, 12:20 AM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 02:19 PM
Re: Here's what I'm worried about...

Quote:
Originally posted by Zoocoustic
...winning Album of the Year (and the other 4 awards) makes U2 think that they can make another album like it and that's what the general public wants.

I guess I’m in the camp that thinks U2 have arrived at one of the most intriguing points of their career. The Grammy wins just add to what they crave more than record sales—relevance. No, the awards shouldn’t “matter” on one level. I mean, look at the competition—it’s laughable, in terms of talent. We know they’re better than the lightweights, but for the casual fan, it solidifies that U2 are at least equals with Kelly Clarkson, and Madonna’s ass. In America, that’s something.

U2 want nothing less than the ability to change the world—look at everything they do, from the humanitarian work, right through to Bono having breakfast with George Bush. They’ve worked hard to achieve the exact position they’re in right now--to be able to shift the status quo. It’s always been about more than the music for them—and I’m convinced that they will be revered, and even studied, for years because of this.

I’m also convinced that the next album will be different. Personally, I’m hoping for some mind-bending artistry. It might not be filled with cowbells or elephant mating calls (tragically), but I’m willing to bet anything that U2 are too smart to bore themselves, and us, to death.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:24 AM   #37
ONE
love, blood, life

A band of 45 years old won song of the year.

Did "Sometimes" even chart in the top 200 in the US?

I'd imagine every one of there competitiors were top 10 singles.

That's pretty cool.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:28 AM   #38
Blue Crack Supplier

That's all cool and good for them that they're having a lot of success lately. But at the end of the day, Passengers and MDH sound much more interesting to me than ATYCLB and HTDAAB put together.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:31 AM   #39
ONE
love, blood, life

That's fine. I'm more impressed with good songs than strange sounds.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:32 AM   #40
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
What I and many others do NOT want to happen is for U2 to grow stagnant, to slide themselves into a comfortable rut and stay there...So yes, I hope they keep pushing themselves to not become comfortable, to put themselves out there, to take risks. The greater the risks, the greater the potential rewards.
You see, I find it more likely for U2 to take a risk having won the grammies than if they were to have lost. They have had so much success with the recent releases, you may say they snapped back from the failure of Pop (although I hate to call it that as I love the album). But, admittedly, it wasn't well recieved. From a marketing standpoint, now is the perfect time to tread new ground. They may be criticized for it not sounding like "Beautiful Day" "Vertigo" etc., but really what more do they have to prove? I think U2 realizes that they really don't have anything more to prove now. I have a feeling that the next release will be something new for U2.

I agree wholeheartedly with typhoon's post, U2 have never stopped experimenting for the very fact that they keep innovating as a band.
Old 02-11-2006, 12:46 AM   #41
New Yorker

Local Time: 11:49 AM
Re: Re: Here's what I'm worried about...

Quote:
Originally posted by angelordevil
I guess I’m in the camp that thinks U2 have arrived at one of the most intriguing points of their career. The Grammy wins just add to what they crave more than record sales—relevance.

"You have to fight to be relevant. I mean, being successful is easier, in a funny way, than being relevant. It's very hard, and we need to prove it to ourselves...there's no reason for us to be in a band now other than to try and make some extraordinary music." -Bono, CNN post-grammy interview
Old 02-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #42
War Child

I've never seen such an uptight group of fans than ones of U2.

U2 have progressed on every album they've made, whether you like the album or not. The progression they made on the last 2 albums from Pop shouldn't be taken any lighter than going from "God Part 2" on Rattle and Hum to "The Fly" on Acthung.

They started out as a teenage punk band, and look where they've gone-They've touched on country, soul, 60s Pop, 50s rock,electronic, dance, ambient, jazz, opera, Irish folk music AND created their own sound in the process.

They've written songs for/or with Bob Dylan, Willie Nelson, Frank Sinatra(even if he never did get around to recording it), Luciano Pavarotti, Robbie Roberston and Tina Turner(Yeah she's cool)

And people are worried that they won another grammy? Crazy........
Old 02-11-2006, 01:03 AM   #43
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:49 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
A band of 45 years old won song of the year.

Did "Sometimes" even chart in the top 200 in the US?

I'd imagine every one of there competitiors were top 10 singles.

That's pretty cool.
The song was a Hot 100 hit in the U.S.

However, "Walk On" won "Record of the Year" and that wasn't a Hot 100 hit - one of the few that has that distinction.

And, of course, this puzzles me quite a bit. ATYCLB has sold well over 4M copies in the U.S. and won 7 Grammy awards. HTDAAB has sold over 3M copies in the U.S. and has won 8 Grammy awards. U2's tour is instantly sold out across the U.S. When radio actually promotes a song, ala "Beautiful Day" or "Vertigo", it becomes a hit.

So why on earth aren't radio stations playing more U2 songs?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

These last two albums are arguable the most radio-friendly, yet have received the least amount of radio airplay. Album sales are higher than many artists, including those "American Idol" kids (U2's last two albums have outsold Idol's most successful artist - Kelly Clarkson - by over a million copies).

I really don't get why pop radio ignores U2 - clearly the public and critics want to hear them.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:07 AM   #44
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

I really don't get why pop radio ignores U2 - clearly the public and critics want to hear them.
Really good question.
Old 02-11-2006, 01:22 AM   #45
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

So why on earth aren't radio stations playing more U2 songs?!?!?!?!?!?!??!

I don't listen to the radio very often, but I can tell you that when I do, I hear a lot of U2. It's the Canadian way!
If I'm in the car for any length of time with the radio on, I inevitably hear U2 (much to my delight and to the chagrin of my non-U2 loving spouse).
I sense that in the U.S., U2 are way further down the scale of radio popularity than they are in many other countries. At least that's how it seems to me here in the Great White North.