Here's what I'm worried about... - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-10-2006, 10:02 PM   #16
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 05:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by catlhere
God forbid you stick with what you and the majority of your fans and critics are enjoying. Who would EVER commit such a bogus act.

U2 r teh d00med! they made albums everyone but me lyks, so dey suX! b relevint again Bano! no 1 iz listening to dis non-experimental/90's junk!
Thanks for missing the point, please come again.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-10-2006, 10:11 PM   #17
New Yorker

Local Time: 12:22 AM
At this phase in their career, I just want them to write good tunes.

My major problem with ATYCLB and HTDAAB was that they were way inconsistent. If they could keep the quality as high as the best songs from those two albums, I'd be happy with it, "experimental" or not.

Honestly, the people for whom experimentation is so important that they've disowned the band's recent work have probably moved on to all that edgy indie stuff and probably aren't going to be happy with anything the band puts out at this point, so what's the point of pandering to them?

(Edit: Okay, I also want them to not take four years between albums, even if that means touring less or letting somebody else save the world.)

Old 02-10-2006, 10:17 PM   #18
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 08:22 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon

My major problem with ATYCLB and HTDAAB was that they were way inconsistent. If they could keep the quality as high as the best songs from those two albums, I'd be happy with it, "experimental" or not.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:23 PM   #19
War Child

Local Time: 01:22 AM
I have the feeling the next album is going to be different as in War - UF different. And good different. Something we haven't heard before. I get the feeling from U2 that they've pushed in this direction as far as they can go and they can explore other areas now.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:26 PM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

Thanks for missing the point, please come again.
What point did I miss? The original poster wanted them to change because he felt they could do "more" they also felt that they need to be "bold and daring".

I'm asking why? I'm asking what is wrong with sticking with what's working and why the constant need to do "something different" every album. How many new musical sounds do U2 fans want the band to cover. What if Bono and boys actually ENJOY this current sound theyre making. Why ruin it with another "Pop"-esq attempt. Why are people "worried" about another ATYCLB/HTDAAB? Why do people think U2 are being pigeon held into making these types of songs and now they can be "free". Is it not even the slight bit possible that they're having a great time? So yea, did I miss some point?
Old 02-10-2006, 10:28 PM   #21
Blue Crack Supplier

I don't know why we're even discussing this. There is nowhere else for them to go with this formula. The band has even acknowledged this. I agree that had they not won all these accolades, they may have been tempted to aim in the same direction again. But there's nothing else for them to accomplish and the band has always been about taking on one challenge or another.

Some people want to be pessimistic about everything, and even though I liked The Bomb immensely, I would prefer them to change it up again, dig a little deeper, go a little darker. And I fully expect them to.

Mercy and Fast Cars are all you need to hear to know which road they're travelling down right now, and while the next album won't necessarily be another Achtung Baby, it will be a step further away from the poppy material on ATYCLB that The Bomb already slightly distanced itself from.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:32 PM   #22
New Yorker

Why does everyone think "Mercy" is a sign of things to come? Didn't they cut it off the album for being too U2y? Strikes me as just a bunch of wishful thinking.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:34 PM   #23
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I'm asking why? I'm asking what is wrong with sticking with what's working and why the constant need to do "something different" every album. How many new musical sounds do U2 fans want the band to cover. What if Bono and boys actually ENJOY this current sound theyre making.
There's nothing wrong with the current sound, really. Heck, they could make a whole album full of stuff that sounds as sugary as Wild Honey but if the songwriting and lyrical quality is not on par, it's no use.
Old 02-10-2006, 10:36 PM   #24
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by typhoon
Why does everyone think "Mercy" is a sign of things to come? Didn't they cut it off the album for being too U2y?
Yes, I believe a review called it a "6:30 outpouring of everything that is U2" or something along those lines, and that was basically why the band cut it.

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-10-2006, 10:39 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

I'm so confused now. What is "U2"-ish anymore. They've done so many different sounding songs! I'm so lost!
Old 02-10-2006, 10:41 PM   #26
Vocal parasite

Quote:

What point did I miss? The original poster wanted them to change because he felt they could do "more" they also felt that they need to be "bold and daring".

I'm asking why? I'm asking what is wrong with sticking with what's working and why the constant need to do "something different" every album. How many new musical sounds do U2 fans want the band to cover. What if Bono and boys actually ENJOY this current sound theyre making. Why ruin it with another "Pop"-esq attempt. Why are people "worried" about another ATYCLB/HTDAAB? Why do people think U2 are being pigeon held into making these types of songs and now they can be "free". Is it not even the slight bit possible that they're having a great time? So yea, did I miss some point?
Why are you so outright aggressive towards people who want some kind of a change? It's not necessarily because they aren't satisfied with the current albums or want U2 to do what they like. Personally, the current sound is below what I think U2 could do but some songs are the equal of almost anything they have ever done. And no-one's asking for another Pop-esque attempt, though it shows your bias that you think that will ruin things.

What I and many others do NOT want to happen is for U2 to grow stagnant, to slide themselves into a comfortable rut and stay there. Then their music would just become stale and they'd go nowhere except fading away into oblivion. I'd like to see U2 keep pushing themselves. I don't care if I like it or not. It's just important that their music doesn't become stale. After all, you wouldn't eat stale bread, would you? On the same token, you wouldn't want to listen to stale music, and I doubt U2 want to make it. So yes, I hope they keep pushing themselves to not become comfortable, to put themselves out there, to take risks. The greater the risks, the greater the potential rewards.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-10-2006, 10:43 PM   #27
Vocal parasite

Quote:
I'm so confused now. What is "U2"-ish anymore. They've done so many different sounding songs! I'm so lost!
Ever listened to the Best Ofs? Hear the anthemic songs with chiming guitar (typically utilising delay effects) and soaring vocals?

Now you know.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-10-2006, 10:46 PM   #28
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

and yet a majority of what this forum likes is 90's U2 that is dark dirty and hard rocking, full of glam and distored vocals. so are they saying they like U2 best when they aren't "U2"-ish?

Old 02-10-2006, 10:50 PM   #29
Blue Crack Supplier

Axver is right on the money here!

catlhere, I love your posts and think they're funny as hell... but I have to say your anti-Pop anti-Mofo bias shows really well in most of your serious posts!

How can you generalize like that and say that most of this forum wants 90s U2 to return???
Old 02-10-2006, 10:51 PM   #30
New Yorker

U2 has done a lot of things, but they've always sounded like U2 doing them. Their experimentation let them explore more complex musical ideas and new lyrical ideas. I don't think I'm as impressed with the new ground they broke musically (which wasn't all that new, really) so much as the new ways to resonate emotionally their experimentation enabled. I doubt they could've written a song like "Please" or "Wake Up, Dead Man" without doing all the other crap they did in the nineties first.

And really, they're still doing this. If they made ATYCLB without making Pop first, it would've sounded way different. When people here say they want more "experimentation," I can't help but think they mean, "I want more fancy-sounding electronic crap." I think they've never stopped changing their sound, they're just more subtle about it these days and some people are too daft to realize it.

ATYCLB is more sixties pop than anything else they've ever done. HTDAAB is more edgy rock than anything else they've ever done. Just because those genres aren't particularly trendy like dance and techno doesn't mean they've stopped extending themselves.