Here's a different theory on the next album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JimmyChicken

Acrobat
Lots of people out there think the next album is going to be another Zooropa - and it could well be.

But I'm going to provide an alternate theory just coz I can!

When I heard mention of a "punk rock" album, what immediately sprang to my mind is the style of music played by bands such as Offspring, Blink 182, 28 days, etc.

Therefore my theory is:

U2 will take the comptempory punk rock style and add their own twist to it - as they did with electronic music in the early 90's.
So what we'll end up with is an Acthung Baby (this time inspired by the modern punk rock) rather than another Zooropa.

Does that sound plausable even though they will be touring?

As we all know... with U2, anything is plausible.
smile.gif

Good theory though

------------------
And I felt like a star...

It doesn't seem all that plausible to me - mainly because I see no evidence that this kind of music is pushing their buttons at the moment. They worship the Ramones, granted, but there's a world of difference between that and Blink 182.

Hard to say though. The music that Bono raves about in public virtually never bears any resemblence to what U2 are doing (except perhaps Oasis around '97).

Maybe this next one will be the U2/Destiny's Child crossover hit!

------------------
"I could walk into this room
and the waves of conversation
are enough
to knock you down
with the undertow

soooo alone..."

I think it will be more like Boy, which had a lot of punk influence in it.

I think it will be R&H's raw rock'n'roll sound meets AB's guitars.

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

Does anybody know if Eno or Lanois is working with the boys? I think their presence (or absence) will tell us what to expect next. If they're involved (especially Eno), I can't see how the band could finish a new record this year with all the spit and polish of Achtung Baby. If they're not around, however, I could see them banging out a raw, edgy(!) rock record in a few months time.

I think we'll get a ATYCLB Part II.......probably the ATYCLB album they were initially going to make. More rock oriented. Songs like Bulldozer, Origin of Species, Tough....that were left off.

I mean, even 'Stuck' was more rocking in its early stages. It was rumored that Jagger and daughter did backup vocals for it. Then Bono took into a different direction, which could 've been because the album was going to be a 'soul' album instead of a rock album. Personally, ATYCLB isn't 'soul' to me. It's U2, all encompassing. An emotive band they've always been, and ATYCLB is probably their grandest yet.

I digress. I don't think we'll get a punk album. Now that would be RETRO U2. I think they'll build from ATYCLB and deliver an even better album. I see ATYCLB as a precursor, much like UF was to JT.
I predict this will be U2's best album to date.

unless they're already busy mixing it, probably not even the band knows what it is going to sound like

they change their mind on what an album should sound like more often than I change my underwear

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

I wonder what would happen if they teamed up with Lillywhite on this album instead of Eno/Lanois?

Originally posted by EXIT_TO_THE_NORTH:
way to spell out the obvious Salome.
yes, I have superior analytical qualities

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

Before ATYCLB we all thought, the album will be like Mothers Daly Kiss before sleeping, and on the new tour there will be no seats just beds. Dunno why, but we tought Brian Eno will fok up the album. And it came out with a lot of energetic, beautiful harcore melodies.
This time, I think it will be ore like ZOOropa...

------------------
"I'm the BIGGEST U2 fan in the WORLD!" - LeMon
"I know..." - Bono

http://limelight.pcdome.hu

I agree with the punk theme. Although "Elevation" is no punk song, I think the band will ride off of its coattails. It was the rockingest song on tour and I think they are going to take that energy into the studio.

It will be a Zooropa-esque album, but as Zooropa was influenced by europe of the '90s the new album will be influenced by the rock songs they took on the road Elevation, Until the End...

I do not think we wil see many slow songs, maybe one or two having to do with 9/11 towards the end of the album, but I really think we will se a harder rocking album.

Which, of course I look forward to intensely...

What an interesting array of Feedback.

Of course my true theory is not to have a theory at all and sit back and wait to see what happens.

Speaking of the (as yet unconfirmed) punk revival, a poster on the Rolling Stone U2 board cracked me up the other day, talking about Bono with a chain through his nose, Adam in a purple mohawk, and Larry in his 'soon-to-be commonplace' dog collar. He even provided some lyrics:

Drop the Debt!
Yeah yeah yeah!
Feed the Queen!
Yeah yeah yeah!
Salman Rushdie!
Yeah yeah yeah!
We're all gonna diiiiie!!

------------------
"Once again
I'm in trouble with my old friend
She is papering the windowpanes
She is putting on a smile
Living in a glasshouse..."

Originally posted by AM:
it?s gonna sound like U2

And the beauty of U2 is that they can as diverse as...Boy, October, War, UF, JT, RH, AB, Zooropa, POP, ATYCLB, and whatever else they put out.
biggrin.gif

btw, Adam already DID the mohawk. Remember ZooTV?
wink.gif

-sula

The next album will be 12 different remixes of Numb.....
It will be called -- "Really Numb"

Seriously though, I agree with those who say that even Bono and the Edge don't really know what the album will sound like....

------------------
Live As If You'll Die Tomorrow, Dream As If You'll Live Forever

I'm getting a little tired of these "punk rock" theories. They called Pop a dance album with techno music - and it's obvious that's not entirely true.

I believe the next album will follow in the footsteps of ATYCLB, but I bet it has a little bit more edge to it (no pun intended).

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

U2 are fans of At the Drive In. At the Drive In is considered emo. Emo is a fancy label for a punk sub-genre. U2 considers this group punk or that they have punk like qualities. At the Drive In is a great guitar band with that punk energy in their songs.

I wouldn't be surprised if they are an inspiration for U2 on this next album. I would be very excited if U2 were to use this group as inspiration alah the Roses, Massive Attack, etc. for Achtung Baby.

On another side note, nothing wrong with today's pop punk alah Green Day, Blink 182 (who rips a little of that U2 sound IMO - without the massive delay). They are entertaining and do what they do well but I think if U2 were to use them as inspiration/ influences then the new album is going to be un-inspiring.

I'm glad U2 is going to avoide making a Radiohead type of album. Lord knows we have enough of those.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

Back
Top Bottom