Helter Skelter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

00Kevin

War Child
I'm a HUGE Beatles fan, but for some reason I like the u2 version of helter skelter more. I can't figure out why.

Wow, not very many Beatles fans would say that!

I don't think U2's version deserves all the ribbing it gets, but I don't see how anyone could top the Beatles' version. I almost wish U2 and Paul McCartney were doing it together at Live8 instead of Sgt. Pepper. :drool:

Easily my favorite cover U2 have ever done. I think it blows the Beatles' version out of the water. No disrespect to the Fab Four, but I just think U2's version has more emotion and bombast in it.

I also prefer U2s version compared to the original...U2s version makes me strut more:wink:

I love U2's version......great tune!

Ever hear Motley Crue's version? Lol.... I used to love it 20 years ago! :ohmy:

I prefer U2's version aswell, i think it is because Bono's voice is more suited to it than Mcartney's

Last edited:
inmyplace13 said:
Easily my favorite cover U2 have ever done. I think it blows the Beatles' version out of the water. No disrespect to the Fab Four, but I just think U2's version has more emotion and bombast in it.

My favourite U2 cover is Paint It Black. :cute: Anybody like it?

I heard Motley Crue's version 1st, then U2's. Then finally, years later a heard The Beatles. And as the saying goes, The Beatles version BLOWS the other two out of the water. The thing that's so funny is that Motley Crue fancied themselves a hard rock band, where The Beatles were pop (more or less). Well, The Beatles version is heavier, darker, and it has the great "I've got blisters on my fingers!!" line to boot. Listening to it makes me kind of understand why Charles Manson dug the song. Harrison's guitar has the sound of a WWII bomber flying right over your head. Awesome, awesome, awesome.

As for U2's version, they aren't the self-proclaimed "World's Worst Cover Band" for nothing. They have done some good covers, but this is not one of them.

I heard U2's version first and then the Beatles. I enjoy both musically but I think Bono handles the singing much better; you can hear Paul McCartney struggling as he sings at the top of his voice.

U2girl said:
I heard U2's version first and then the Beatles. I enjoy both musically but I think Bono handles the singing much better; you can hear Paul McCartney struggling as he sings at the top of his voice.

True, Bono has more power in his voice, which suits the song.

I am a big Beatles fan but, for this I would have to go with U2. To me U2's take sounds "tighter" than the Beatles. But, one might argue that was the point of the song (Paul saw a newspaper review of The Who's "I Can See For Miles" that described it as " the loudest, wildest song ever recorded with distorted guitars, tons of reverb, and screaming." Paul decids to do one better and did 25 takes of "Helter Skleter" to get it right and release a truly heavy, wild track) but, it really sounds like they are struggling(but this is to be expected as doing they did 25 takes of one song) and becuase of it sounds "loose." I also don't like the fade in's and fade out's (I can't stand the intro for the record version of "Gloria" so you can my hate of the false endings in the song).

U2 just seems to stumble through Helter Skelter the same way they stumbled through All Along The Watchtower. Two U2 covers I could definetly do without.

The original HS was a fucking monster, I don't see why covering it would do any good.

Canadiens1160 said:
U2 just seems to stumble through Helter Skelter the same way they stumbled through All Along The Watchtower. Two U2 covers I could definetly do without.

The original HS was a fucking monster, I don't see why covering it would do any good.

Ever hear any of the Lovetown All Along The Watchtowers? All excellent versions the one on Rattle and Hum is pretty week in comparison.

I like U2's version, but I like the sloppy rawness of the Beatles version.

And chalk me up as another fan who likes U2's cover of Paint it Black.

The Beatles are my favorite all time band with U2 #2. I think the U2 version is better. The Beatles version is great for an all hell breaks out and destruction type of sound that McCartney was feeling at the time with the band coming apart. As a rock song though, I would rather listen to U2. U2's version is softened and more polished.

what did everyone think of Helter Skelter played by McCartney towards the end of Live 8? i loved it :drool:

Back
Top Bottom