"Heartland" appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemon95

The Fly
Anyone else think this is one of their more underrated efforts?

And does anyone believe that it should have been included on The Joshua Tree?

Love Heartland.

Incidentally that was one of the R&H songs that the rock critic-types loved to bash...that's also about the time (1988) that I decided once & for all that rock critics (and most other critics BTW) were full of shit.

WTF? I don't see what there is to bash about Heartland. Beautiful music, poetic lyrics, and some of Bono's most powerful singing. :drool:

Lovely song and Rattle and Hum has some of the best studio songs the band has ever put out in my mind.

I LOVE this song. Here's how big of a dork I am:

I drove xcountry (USA - West to East) in 1997 with a girl I was dating when the trip began, but was no longer dating when it was over. :)

Anyway, she mostly drove, I played DJ. And.....I made sure that when we crossed the Mississippi River, that Heartland was playing, because of my always mentally attaching that song to that body of water (The R&H Film certainly has helped ingrain this in my head). So, yeah, I appreciate the song, to say the least.

How they didn't play this during the US Elevation Legs (with the heart-ellipse) is beyond me... it wouldn't been perfect.

xaviMF22 said:

I know:sad:

it would have made Joshua Tree even better than it is:(

I thought it was written after the Joshua Tree was released, during their tour of the states. Can anyone confirm this?

roy said:

I thought it was written after the Joshua Tree was released, during their tour of the states. Can anyone confirm this?

It was written during the Joshua Tree sessions but the band decided not to include it on the album. I believe it was written and recorded (originally) at Adam's house. One of the reasons that it was not included on the Joshua Tree is that the band were not quite happy with it at the time, but decided to revist the song during the Rattle & Hum sessions, where they got it how they wanted it.

neilm said:

It was written during the Joshua Tree sessions but the band decided not to include it on the album. I believe it was written and recorded (originally) at Adam's house. One of the reasons that it was not included on the Joshua Tree is that the band were not quite happy with it at the time, but decided to revist the song during the Rattle & Hum sessions, where they got it how they wanted it.

The way I've heard it, the primary reason Heartland was discarded from JT was because Bono felt the album was too serious and he wanted a "lighter" song - as we all know, he wanted to head in a more country direction. Heartland was originally intended to appear on the album, but was replaced by Trip Through Your Wires.

This somewhat bothers me, especially as I think Spanish Eyes would have made a much better "light" song. However, going by the Heartland demo that's floating around, holding on to Heartland was for the best as the RAH version is quite substantially better, especially vocally.

:hmm: Wasn't Heartland written during the JT tour ? If I read it right, there are some scenes of them demo-ing the song in the Rattle and Hum outtakes.

U2girl said:
:hmm: Wasn't Heartland written during the JT tour ? If I read it right, there are some scenes of them demo-ing the song in the Rattle and Hum outtakes.

I'm sure it states this in U2 By U2, although I don't have the book in front of me right now.

Heartland was from the JT sessions. On the RAH Rough Cut is a demo of it played over a similar spot to where the final version is in the RAH movie. The band themselves aren't demoing it; they're hanging out in Memphis, visiting Graceland and such.

I Love this song - one of my top 10.

I think it would be great for these guys to try and play this song live. Wouldn't it be something to hear the opening chords of this song on the next tour?

The best song from R&H IMO!I love it soooooo much! :drool:
It's a shame that they never play this song live.

In this heaaaaartlaaaand...

I think Heartland is one of U2's greatest album tracks. Unfortunately for it, it appears between The Joshua Tree and Achtung Bby, U2's greatest albums, and as such it suffers because of the 21 great tracks it is therefeore it is compared too. On Rattle and Hun, only Desire, Angel of.. and All I want is You beat it. If it had been on one of the last 2 albums maybe it would have been one of their most famos songs.
Heartland Rocks.

Back
Top Bottom