"Heartland" appreciation

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jesus Christ,this hasn't been done in a long time.
Aardie and Axver,do you remember those games with names of u2 songs??it always ended with several droolings after one of us named heartland.

Axver said:
WTF? I don't see what there is to bash about Heartland. Beautiful music, poetic lyrics, and some of Bono's most powerful singing. :drool:

It was one of the many "Bono is trying to be American/Bono is in love with America/Bono is stealing American music/I thought U2 were British?" rip-jobs that came out in response to R&H. There were a bunch...I'd try googling but I'm too lazy.

Axver said:
Heartland was from the JT sessions.

Ah, I see. :up: Beautiful song.

Are there any reports of it being rehearsed on tour, like Red hill mining town ?

Heartland is certainly one of the best songs I've ever heard... just put it on a mix CD for a good friend. Listening to it now, what always strikes me are the harmonies in the background. Just a new dimension of the song I've come to appreciate...

And, of course, the line "In the towers of steel, belief goes on and on." As far as I can see this is one of the first instances of Bono finding beauty where many observers of an "artistic" bent would only see a scar on nature. It reminds me of the speech he gave in Phoenix once, remarking on the miracle of a city of glass rising from the desert; and of the middle section in Beautiful Day - "see the tuna fleets clearing the sea out, see the oil fields at first light."

dawn changes everything

Love this song, the lyrics always give me a shiver.

:heart: land

Every time I hear this song ... it always reminds me of that part in the Rattle and Hum movie when U2 visited Graceland. :applaud:

Very heartfelt and emotional moments, indeed. :up:

Axver said:

The way I've heard it, the primary reason Heartland was discarded from JT was because Bono felt the album was too serious and he wanted a "lighter" song - as we all know, he wanted to head in a more country direction. Heartland was originally intended to appear on the album, but was replaced by Trip Through Your Wires.

Bono states that they also wanted a song that they could play live, which is another reason why Trip Through Your Wires was selected over Heartland....and also another reason why the band will never play Heartland live, which in itself is a travesty.

Pero said:
Jesus Christ,this hasn't been done in a long time.
Aardie and Axver,do you remember those games with names of u2 songs??it always ended with several droolings after one of us named heartland.

Those were good times. :drool:

U2girl said:
Are there any reports of it being rehearsed on tour, like Red hill mining town ?

Not to my knowledge. Though considering Bono did throw a snippet of it into Streets once, we know it was at least on his mind at one point.

neilm said:
Bono states that they also wanted a song that they could play live, which is another reason why Trip Through Your Wires was selected over Heartland....and also another reason why the band will never play Heartland live, which in itself is a travesty.

I don't see what's stopping them from playing Heartland ...

^ Me either. I wonder what it is about it that would cause a problem with playing it live.

a true classic - but to put it in with the most perfect album of all time?????? I am not saying its not good enought but jt is perfect as it is. Heartland sits comfortably on R & H and of course R & H video.

AWW Heartland appreciation thread again!!! YAY!!

Heartland is so beautiful there are not enough words to express how awesome it is! :drool: :drool:

I think it's more than obvious that I love this song.

And I, too, have played it while driving across the Mississippi River in Memphis. What a moment that is. :heart:

CTU2fan said:

"Bono is trying to be American/Bono is in love with America/Bono is stealing American music/I thought U2 were British?"

One of my favorite things about Heartland is that, while it is shamelessly Americana-inspired, it sounds like little of anything associated with the Delta region. U2 definitely took an American iconic image and tracked a sound for it from their own palette, as decidedly un-American as it is.

Still, I can hardly think of any music that better suggests the images of the Delta that are stuck in my mind. Adam's intro bass line pulses like barge engines in the distance, and then eddies mysteriously but powerfully like the wild river itself that many of us grew up hearing horror stories about and occasionally witnessed firsthand, a place to be avoided at all costs... Edge's lonely single-note echoes conjure up the stark emptiness of the expansive, table-flat fields, where the farmers live miles apart and annually test the odds of rich harvest vs. flood-swept loss, and where strange, exotic animals bury up in remote thickets where they go undetected for decades... Edge's gorgeous background vocals swirl like the wind that usually picks up speed across those denuded fields and elevated dirt roads... and Bono's vocals yearn with an urgency and exasperation that speak for a forgotten land that, save for some far-removed corporate agriculture interests, is essentially third-world in terms of economics, education, health care, and opportunity.

I'm biased, but I feel that Heartland is a monumental achievement and a career top-12 song for U2. I also think that it would be virtually impossible to replicate it live vocally with any confidence, along the lines of Red Hill Mining Town. A lot of water under the bridge since those vocal tracks were put down. :wink:

Listening to R&H for the first time, I really didn't like it. I was very disapointed, until I heard this song. WOW! What a great song! I always thought it sounded more JT than R&H, and now I know it was written during the JT sessions. I am truly in love with this song. It's amazing.

Am I the only person who thinks this song is pretty average with the exception of Bono's "heartland" yelps and the bridge?

LemonMacPhisto said:
Am I the only person who thinks this song is pretty average with the exception of Bono's "heartland" yelps and the bridge?

"Heartland" appreciation..idiot.

LemonMacPhisto said:

Yes, you are :)

Wouldn't it be something if these guys pulled this gem of a song out next tour. Atmosphericaly(?) speaking one of the great songs ever.:drool:

HeartlandGirl said:
I think it's more than obvious that I love this song.

And I, too, have played it while driving across the Mississippi River in Memphis. What a moment that is. :heart:

And it sounds great on a long distance Amtrak train trip especially in the early morning as the sun is coming up.

It's great to see that there is a lot of fans for that song.

:applaud: :up: Heartland...I love it! What's Not to love about it? yeah....i agree about that comment on 'rock critics'! :madspit: They bashed R&H! That was a great album!! :love:

Back
Top Bottom