Hearing "new" U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wertsie

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
As I'm sitting here listening to "Hands that Built America" for about the third time in a row, I'm thinking about what it might have been like to hear U2 for the first time when other, now-classic, songs were released.

As many of you know, I "officially" became a fan in 1997, but I grew up hearing War, JT, R&H, AB, and Zooropa constantly around my house. Still, I don't really have any concrete memories of hearing any of those classic songs for the first time.

I'd love to hear others share their stories, though! Please do! :hug:

Hello Wertsie,

I have fond memories of hearing 'I Will Follow', 'Gloria', 'Sunday Bloody Sunday', 'Pride', and other U2 classics for the first time on the radio. But nothing will ever come close to the emotions I felt when I heard 'With or Without You' on the radio for the very first time. That bass, that voice, those words, the crescendo effect of the song that takes you to another place in your mind, in your heart, in your emotions. I remember pulling to the side of the road on my way to a college class, and not being able to drive with the tears of emotion that overtook me. I also remember just standing still, stereo cranked up loud, as cars appeared to be passing me in slow motions, never wanting that feeling to end, knowing that this song, and many others on The Joshua Tree, were going to take my band to another level that they so deserved. That is what hearing new U2 can do to you if your in the right place to receive it, and sometimes, you just don't know what a song will do to you and how it will find a special place in your heart.

Chris

I became a fan with the War album and Red Rocks on TV. I was in 8-9th grade and Bono was my biggest teenage crush. When I bought War, I hadn't even heard of Boy and October:reject: I remember the War songs new, and they still sound just as good to me. I remember Red Rocks on TV all the time. I was a big fan all through the 80's! I'm happy to say remember it all first hand.

Even though AB might be my favorite overall album I prefer 80's to 90's because I'm not much of a Zooropa or Pop fan. I do love ATYCLB and Electrical Storm. I haven't heard Hands That Built America. My computer won't stream it.

I remember when I first became a big U2 fan back in 2000 with the release of ATYCLB. First song I can remember hearing for the first time and actually caring about was Beautiful Day. I was watching MuchMusic after school one day and the VJ said something about a new U2 song and CD, and how this was the first play of the video in Canada. I watched it and was instantly hooked. I made up my mind then and there to buy the new CD the day it came out, and then after listening to it a couple times, I bought Zooropa and POP...I knew there was no turning back. :wink:

"Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me " video in 1995 , just got me between the eyes .
Then , one rainy evening , in 97 , i bought a copy of POP , Zoo Sydney video and JT .

My story is similar to U2Kitten, the first I ever heard of U2 was seeing and hearing the video on TV of New Years Day and remembering that I have not heard a song like it before! So that me made go out and buy the War album which as we know NYD is on and the rest is history! Also remember Under A Blood Red Sky being on the TV a lot and gawd knows where my video of it has gone! Over the years I went mad on other bands too but U2 were always there constantly whoever the flavour of the month was for me!. And when I heard With Or Without You for the first time, I will never forget that funny heart lifting feeling you get inside when a song does that for you! again another song that was unique in its sound and nothing else out there anywhere near it! Its still does it to me even today!

Well wertsie, even though I have told this old story several times before, I can?t help thinking of the very first time I listened to Bad. Live Aid benefit concert was on my TV screen when I was held spellbound (just learnt this expression, love it ;)) by those four young men, still unknown for me...me, a girl feeling lonely, away from family...it was college time and I was living alone. Something really special happened to me that day.

Another one I remember the first listening was Running to Stand Still. Such passion, such sadness, such anguish in Bono?s voice and interpretation...something you cannot forget easily.

Then it came One. That song is a miracle, it?s perfection. I remember feeling so moved that I felt the tears coming. Had to avoid them, I was not alone this time...he wouldn?t understand what was going on anyways. Never did.

Last edited:
Any stories I have of hearing now-classic U2 songs for the first time happened when I was little.

I remember hearing "Mysterious Ways", "One", "With Or Without You", "Where The Streets Have No Name", and "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" all the time on the radio when I was little, and like I've said before, I may have just recently really gotten into these guys' music, but I've always liked them and thought they had some good songs. And I liked all those songs that I'd heard on the radio.

Matter of fact, they played "Mysterious Ways" at our Sadie Hawkins dance last year, and when they played it, I was like, "Wow, I haven't heard this song in a while!" And it was nice to hear it again.

My dad remembers hearing "I Will Follow" for the first time-he said he's liked U2 ever since then.

Angela

spanisheyes said:
But nothing will ever come close to the emotions I felt when I heard 'With or Without You' on the radio for the very first time. That bass, that voice, those words, the crescendo effect of the song that takes you to another place in your mind, in your heart, in your emotions.

That perfectly describes my reaction to hearing With or Without You for the first time, except in my case it was the first U2 song I'd ever heard. I too remember exactly where I was - in my college dorm room, getting ready to leave for my morning classes. I had the radio on as usual, and when WOWY came on it hit me like the proverbial bolt of lightning. It was beautiful, ethereal, haunting, and absolutely unlike anything I had ever heard before. It's been 15 years but I still can remember that moment as if it were yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom