"He dreamt of other roads....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
.......in other lands, and another home, so I sing this for Sam", Bono, 26-12-89, Lovetown Tour, Dublin, dedicating 'Love Rescue Me' to Samuel Beckett.

Thanks to Axver for putting us on to this great, great, great concert performance. :up:

Just doing my duty as an obsessive Lovetown fanatic. :) :wink:

I absolutely LOVE the intro to Streets from that show, where Bono quotes Wordsworth in tribute to Beckett:

His voice to me was like a stream
Scarce heard; nor word from world could I divide;
And the whole body of the man did seem
Like one whom I had met in a dream
Sam Beckett dreamt of other roads
Sam Beckett dreamt of other lands
Of another home, of another home
Where the streets have no name!
Take me, TAKE ME!

:drool:

Axver said:
I absolutely LOVE the intro to Streets from that show, where Bono quotes Wordsworth in tribute to Beckett:

You're right it's brilliant. :up:

Absolutely brilliant show, All I Want Is You into Streets... no words. I wish all shows had such unbelievably good recordings. If there were only one thing I could do before I died it would be to see a Dublin U2 show.

Are you guys talking about one of the Point Depot shows from 1989? If you are it's the greatest U2 bootleg I ever owned. Still to this day, I curse my girlfriend from back in the day for taking that when we split. I really need to pick up another copy somewhere.

Yep fantastic gig. :up: That's definitely one of my favorite Streets performances ever. I remember the first time I heard it, I must have listened to that part at least...well I won't say how many times in a row. :reject:

When I first heard that intro to Streets, I wasn't even sure it was Bono! It's so powerful, so eloquent, so brilliant.

That entire show is amazing. There's only one way I would improve it, and that is to add Edge's shredding solo to Desire.

And do I even need to say a word about One Tree Hill? :wink:

Axver said:
And do I even need to say a word about One Tree Hill? :wink:

I think that possibly the 31-12 performance of One Tree Hill is slightly better, although overall the 26-12 concert is better.

financeguy said:

I think that possibly the 31-12 performance of One Tree Hill is slightly better, although overall the 26-12 concert is better.

I honestly haven't listened to my boot of the 31st in ages. But the solo and additional verse on the 26th are amazing ... :drool:

And on a random note, WOWY closing the 30th is one of the most beautiful performances of that song ever.

financeguy said:

:eyebrow:

The 26th One Tree Hill kills the 31st version...greater solo plus Bono's vocal is far better, it sounds like the song takes over rather than the guys being in control of it...it sounds really organic and just magical:drool:

LJT said:
:eyebrow:

The 26th One Tree Hill kills the 31st version...greater solo plus Bono's vocal is far better, it sounds like the song takes over rather than the guys being in control of it...it sounds really organic and just magical:drool:

No need for the raised eyebrow my friend. If you have a different opinion to me, fine, just say so.

financeguy said:

No need for the raised eyebrow my friend. If you have a different opinion to me, fine, just say so.

ahh the raised eyebrow was just being silly:wink:

I wasn't trying to negate your opinion...sorry if it came across as such.

Axver, which version of Desire are you talking about. Is it from one of the Point Depot gigs?

Sken said:
Axver, which version of Desire are you talking about. Is it from one of the Point Depot gigs?

Nope. There were various shows during the Lovetown Tour where Edge went nuts on Desire at the end. The three I can think of right now are 21 September 1989, Perth; 27 September 1989, Sydney; and 10 January 1990, Rotterdam.

Edge shredded a whole load of times during the Lovetown tour. Mainly in Australia though i think, though the one i have heard is from the Rotterdam concert in January. It's brilliant stuff.

oops looks like you beat me to it Avxer:wink:

Sken said:
Thankyou.

Would it be too much to ask if you could email me the best one of those to skenrangerone@gmail.com ?

Thx
Sken

Would love to, but I don't think I've got any on my computer at the moment. My very favourite is 27 September 1989, Sydney, and I only have that on DVD.

Hopefully someone else can step in here and send you an MP3 of one of the performances. :)

(I really should copy the Sydney shredding Desire to my computer one of these days ...)

Axver said:

Would love to, but I don't think I've got any on my computer at the moment. My very favourite is 27 September 1989, Sydney, and I only have that on DVD.

Hopefully someone else can step in here and send you an MP3 of one of the performances. :)

(I really should copy the Sydney shredding Desire to my computer one of these days ...)

I had that one but it was recorded too fast so I got rid of it. :mad:

No problem, now I know which one to look for.

Thx again
Sken

Back
Top Bottom