Hawkmoon 269 (Live) Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMScoopy

Refugee
Sheer genius from U2 and probably the most difference between album and live of all U2 songs. A true shame this has only been played 10 or so times back in 89.

One of, if not the, best intros of all time. Beautiful slide guitar part by Edge. then bono comes in with guitar. The song then builds and builds to a billiant climax.

For all of you who dont know what the hell im talking about here is a video from the Lovetown Special:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sz1RuJA2BQ&search=u2 hawkmoon

truely awesome song and one of the most least known and appreciated.

to hear a little cover of it i did, see my site below.

Last edited:
What a great song; definitely one of U2's best openers. Unfortunately, the figure you give is a tad too high - Hawkmoon 269 has only been played live eight times, always as the opener, and seven of those eight performances were in Australia. I wonder how many other U2 songs can claim a majority of their performances have been in Australia ... Lemon, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and Dirty Day (all had 6 out of 10 in Australia), and maybe a couple of others off RAH. Certainly a rather small group to be in, though.

That slide solo is one of the best things Edge has ever played. I wish I could've been at a show that had opened with Hawkmoon. :drool:

JMScoopy said:
i wonder why they only did that 8 times? it shoulda been a lovetown regular.

:rockon:

I think it was basically because U2 only intended to use it as an opener. That meant it had to compete with the likes of Streets and Bullet. Its cause wasn't helped by the fact Lovetown had only 47 shows (of which 23 were opened by Streets alone).

I think it would've worked quite well as an encore opener too, though. Especially on the night in Japan when they played the "backwards set". The Desire/Watchtower/AIWIY encore would've been even more awesome had it been opened by Hawkmoon.

I love Hawkmoon, even if the lyrics suffer a little bit.

LIKE A BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH
LIKE A BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH
LIKE A BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH
LIKE A BLAHBLAHBLAHBLAH

I NEED YOUR LOVE!

I love the soul singers in the studio version:

"in the heat of the heart" and whatever else they say.

There's also a proshot video of Hawkmoon 269 on 27 September 1989, Sydney, from Channel 10's news crew. Not the best quality in either audio or sound, but still pretty cool.

If I ever in my life see U2 play this song live...I believe I would die right then and there

yeah, i have that one as well. AATW is pretty good on that and gotta love the Edge solo closeup during desire. too bad there arent any full concerts avalibe from those dates.

JMScoopy said:
yeah, i have that one as well. AATW is pretty good on that and gotta love the Edge solo closeup during desire. too bad there arent any full concerts avalibe from those dates.

I'm convinced that's the single best performance of Desire ever. Not one but TWO solos!

im still trying to get down that technique that he uses on that 2nd solo. you hear that a lot in rock in songs like Freebird and some live performances of Cocaine by Clapton and tons of others i cant think of now. Edge only does it 2 times, during that desire extended snippet and during the One Tree Hill solo on Dec 26th. it's pretty tough to coordinate picking and fingering for that. i did make an attempt at it at that so you wanna be a rock n roll star snippet on my site below. id love to see edge to more of that stuff, cause he's quite capable, but i know it'll never happen.

btw, do any of the guitar players out there know what the name of the technique im talking about is.

like if you repeat something like this real fast:

e-12--------12--------12---------12------- etc etc
b----15-12----15-12-----15-12----15-12

Everything from that lovetown show was great. Especially the tracks which were on the lovetown documentary.
The best live perfrormance of desire ever, ditto for all i want is you, shame they cut it half way thru edges solo:-(
Hawkmoon 269 live is perfect!

This has been one of my fave u2 tracks since rattle and hum came out. I just love the chorus. The intro to the live version has to be U2s most atmospheric ever. So al add my weight behind this thread.

welll I do especially enjoy the lyrics

I NEED YOUR LOVE

theres some heart & soul in this song..so all i gotta say is :drool:

Back
Top Bottom