Have U2 become TOO good and therefore beyond themselves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

onyourkneesboy

The Fly
Because:

From Boy onto The Joshua Tree, they built their songs from their own limitation as a band. (These were also Brian Eno’s words! And I think he was right.)

Back in those days the songs major backbones and structure were: passion, eagerness, sound, drive, originality, chord-sequences that draw up unexpected emotion, (or no chords at all, more (bass)guitar-riffs and notes that fall together). They were not able to write songs that have to mainly float on thought up compositions. And I thank God for that!
Because of that quality we got War, Unforgettable Fire, Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby, instead of: Total Eclipse Of The Heart, November Rain (Guns and Roses), I Would Do Anything For Love (Meatloaf), Everything I Do I Do It For You (Brian Adams), Angels (Robbie Williams), and other cheesy compositions…:yuck:

U2 back then was like the A-Team: locked up in a wooden shed with only a few shovels, a broom and a hammer, and half an hour later they fly out with a Apache-helicopter!

That might be the problem that I have with several spots on the last 2 albums: U2 looking for how to create a good composition! Because they are good now and know how to write a song. They have access to the best technology, producers, money, so there’s hardly anything to strive for. (Relevancy maybe…)
Don’t get me wrong: I’m absolutely NOT drawing a parallel between U2’s songs and those whiny, over-the-top emotional puke-songs that I mentioned earlier!!
But the way they work and write songs tends to shift in that direction. That’s why a lot of fans/people find U2 too mediocre nowadays. Strange thing is when they sound at their best (original) nowadays, the song is a drop out or something and not on the official U2 album! Like: Stateless, Always Forever Now, Electrical Storm, Falling At Your Feet, Levitate, Smile, Mercy, …

80% of the songs on the latest 2 albums are all written to please the big crowd (including the “classic” U2-fan) IMO. Written by composition and to immediately crab the attention of the big crowd: City Of Blinding Lights (cheesy and a U2-caricature), Sometimes You Can’t…, Vertigo, Stuck In A Moment, Elevation, All Because Of You,… good songs in themselves but too mainstream and in-your-face for U2 standards. Composed to speak to as much people as they possibly can.
By the release of these two latest albums the big crowd was expecting and hoping for these songs and got them!

During UF, JT, AB, Zooropa, AND Pop, we got everything we DIDN’T expect and they smashed us with it! Man, what a songs! As a fan you got tickled to COME UP TO THEM. Nowadays they dropped that and COME DOWN TO US! Maybe in they’re fear they might not stay relevant. That’s were that “U2-specialness/otherness” gets lost IMO.

Now is the time for U2 to “dream it all up again”. Even more than in the R&H days!
If they want to stay relevant and renew themselves, they have to completely alienate themselves from the big crowd by sounding in a way we never heard them before. Not sounding the exactly the same as in AB, Zooropa or Pop, but with the same smashing effect when you first hear the new songs. I remember when I first heard Until The End Of The World, The Fly, Streets, God’s Country, Exit, Ultraviolet, Lemon, Zooropa, Mofo, Gone…:drool: :combust:

Or if that is not an option: sound mystical, mysterious and poetic again. Like in: Stay, In A Lifetime, Walk To The Water, The Unforgettable Fire, Acrobat, Love Is Blindness… I think there’s a real lack of it, and need for it in music nowadays.

Anyway, like some other member here stated: maybe you can’t expect “out-of-this-world-tunes” with great depth, multi-dimensional atmospheres, poetic mysterious quality, when you have been living a glossy glamorous life for years now in a large French sunny beach house. Zipping expensive wine, wearing over-the-top Prada’s, getting fat on foie grass (French delicatesse), partying with super-models and Prince Albert of Monaco, and driving around in fast Austin Martin’s, when your not on your yacht.

Back in the 80’s U2 (mainly Bono) was against all this glamorous exposure. For example: U2 wouldn’t even spit on a band like Duran Duran! (Who are back better than ever btw, and top-notch!)
I’m curious: what would the Bono, of say UF/JT-era, think of the Bono of the 2000’s? Anyway: Simon LeBon (Duran Duran) could take lessons from the ‘nowadays-Bono’ in being glossy and decadent!

This is NOT a bashing thread, and I really think they’ve earned these luxury’s but it doesn’t seems to be doing the music any good! I want the “good”, sincere U2 back who dies trying to make a killer album again! Put everyone on the wrong leg!

great posting onyourkneesboy :up:
i hope we will get some challenging more experimental rock songs next time.

Great post onyourkneesboy!!
much as i really like the last two albums, theres only a handful of tsongs that are truly magical, or that really move me in the way that older U2 songs do.
I am convinced though that U2 will produce music as good as they have done before in the not too distant future.
I am optimistic.

WalkOn21 said:
When I read "the latest 2 albums" I stopped reading. How I hate people to group those together like they're "the albums that were a mistake" or something.

"hate?"
Seems like we have a little U2-extremist here again who doesn't allow anybody to have a little upbuilding critical comment on the band! You probably would cut off my fingers if you found out I was about to post this thread! Right?
Well, how liberal and tolerant some U2-"fans" are....

Your so blinded by your own fanatism that you didn't even get the intention off the post!
Where can be read that I group those 2 albums together? I don't... But you don't get U2's music if you can't hear that there's a big resemblance between the 2 albums. U2 themselves even admitted that!

And where can be read in my post that I find those 2 albums a mistake?

Man, your fanatism is scary and blurs your reading interpretation apparently!

On the other hand: this is probably the best reaction to people like you::yawn:

Have U2 become TOO good and therefore beyond themselves?
Well, it's simple astrophysics, really...

image1rj6.gif

onyourkneesboy said:

"hate?"
Seems like we have a little U2-extremist here again who doesn't allow anybody to have a little upbuilding critical comment on the band! You probably would cut off my fingers if you found out I was about to post this thread! Right?
Well, how liberal and tolerant some U2-"fans" are....

Your so blinded by your own fanatism that you didn't even get the intention off the post!
Where can be read that I group those 2 albums together? I don't... But you don't get U2's music if you can't hear that there's a big resemblance between the 2 albums. U2 themselves even admitted that!

And where can be read in my post that I find those 2 albums a mistake?

Man, your fanatism is scary and blurs your reading interpretation apparently!

On the other hand: this is probably the best reaction to people like you::yawn:
:laugh: My fanatism is scary? Man, look at the whole pseudo-psychological analysis you made of me based on two sentences in a post from me.

I am by no means a "U2-extremist" who doesn't allow "comment on the band". On the contrary, there's a huge part of the U2 oeuvre I don't like myself and I don't mind anyone being critical of the band.

However,
the "the latest 2 albums" expression is getting annoying. In my knowledge, no one on this forum is ever talking about AB and POP as "those two albums from the 90's". Then why should we talk about "the two albums from the 00's"?
U2 don't make "album trilogies" or whatever. All of their albums are to be seen separately. And in that, yes, I am sort of a purist.

Then there's this part:
But you don't get U2's music if you can't hear that there's a big resemblance between the 2 albums. U2 themselves even admitted that!

So, let me get this straight:
- you accuse me of being "not liberal" and intolerant
but
- you think you can say that I "don't get U2's music" if I don't mentally group the latest two albums together.

Talking about tolerance...

In fact, you're just making up facts: U2 never "admitted" a resemblance between ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Apart from Bono's claim that "they're both great albums", of course. The band actually said they see a resemblance of HTDAAB with Boy, not with ATYCLB. "Maybe we should've called this one Man," and that kind of stuff.

Next time, leave the personality analysis to the real psychologists.

WalkOn21 said:

:up:

Here's a fact: U2's two latest albums contain some of the best song writing U2 have ever done. That is, if you like melodic music.

...and another thing I would like to add...regardless of how you try to make it sound, not every idiot on the planet can write a fine song such as "Total Eclipse of the Heart".

WalkOn21 said:
:laugh: My fanatism is scary? Man, look at the whole pseudo-psychological analysis you made of me based on two sentences in a post from me.

I am by no means a "U2-extremist" who doesn't allow "comment on the band". On the contrary, there's a huge part of the U2 oeuvre I don't like myself and I don't mind anyone being critical of the band.

However,
the "the latest 2 albums" expression is getting annoying. In my knowledge, no one on this forum is ever talking about AB and POP as "those two albums from the 90's". Then why should we talk about "the two albums from the 00's"?
U2 don't make "album trilogies" or whatever. All of their albums are to be seen separately. And in that, yes, I am sort of a purist.

Then there's this part:
But you don't get U2's music if you can't hear that there's a big resemblance between the 2 albums. U2 themselves even admitted that!

So, let me get this straight:
- you accuse me of being "not liberal" and intolerant
but
- you think you can say that I "don't get U2's music" if I don't mentally group the latest two albums together.

Talking about tolerance...

In fact, you're just making up facts: U2 never "admitted" a resemblance between ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Apart from Bono's claim that "they're both great albums", of course. The band actually said they see a resemblance of HTDAAB with Boy, not with ATYCLB. "Maybe we should've called this one Man," and that kind of stuff.

If you choose to comment on a thread I posted I'll "analyse" who and whatever I want! Professional or amature.

And furthermore: You can blabber all you want. This is my opinion!
And I will take the responsability here now to stop this personal fued. The thread is much more interesting than your or mine opinion on each other.

U2Man said:

:up:

Here's a fact: U2's two latest albums contain some of the best song writing U2 have ever done. That is, if you like melodic music.
Quite true. Some people hate Paul McCartney, but I love his ear for melody. In A Little While has that kind of charm.

I'm definitely with WalkOn here:

onyourkneesboy said:
Where can be read that I group those 2 albums together? I don't...

Try here:

The latest 2 albums are all written to please the big crowd (including the “classic” U2-fan) IMO. Written by composition and to immediately crab the attention of the big crowd

Essentially, "Both albums are written exactly the same."

That is something one could call "grouping."

Great original post - although I somewhat diagree with lumping the last two together. ATYCLB is far more tuneful in its attempt to please the crowd; Bomb lacks even that.

Canadiens1160: you are one funny motherfucker

lol...

I love the last two albums, but I am still hopin they knock themselves back into old U2!

Here's to hoping the next album is their greatest!!

Well, it's like who can the Beatles be topped by? No one really. (Not my opinion but seems to be the general consensus).

U2 may be too good but if they feel they want to keep making music, why stop because they're tighter, more skilled at songwriting?

U2 have accomplished things many bands haven't, even the Beatles. Certainly U2's touring career trumps the Beatles touring career.

I suppose the Beatles and Rolling Stones had a healthy competition in their hay days, but U2? Most of U2's contemporaries have disbanded, or fly under the radar, you hear about them but not too much.

Red Hot Chili Peppers? I've heard some of Stadium Arcadium, and there's some "painting by numbers" songs on that one.

I don't lump the prior 2 albums together at all. Boy and October , Joshua Tree and parts of Rattle and Hum you could lump together, but not ATYCLB and Atomic Bomb.

ATYCLB overall is a rather "down" album whereas Atomic Bomb is "up." Atomic Bomb is definitely a more "rock" oriented album.

Adam's work was sorta subdued, even buried in the mix a bit on ATYCLB. Live versions of ATYCLB songs are a different story though. Atomic Bomb has some great stuff from Adam. He's driving some of the songs. Vertigo is a bass driven song while Edge is doing his scratch guitar. A Man & a Woman is :drool:

Pop and Atomic Bomb come pretty close to being "pwned" by Adam, in my humble opinion. Way more than ATYCLB.

It sounds to me that he is improving and how could that be a bad thing? I really like how he adds to his existing lines, a few ad-libs that aren't on album versions. Not drastic changes but compare the album version of 'One' to Vertigo versions, or the version they did on the Grammy's towards the end.

What was it Bono said in Entropy: "If you know too much about what you're doing, you're in trouble", or something like that..?:wink:

xaviMF22 said:

*raises hand*:wave:

Cool. I thought I was the only one.

Thing is, maybe on a superficial level HTDAAB is rockier sounding, but the songwriting strikes me as way poppier and safer than ATYCLB.

To further explain my point: ATYCLB may "sound" like more of a pop production, but a lot of the songs are straight-up rock and soul. Examples being "Beautiful Day", "In A Little While", "New York", "When I Look At The World", "Wild Honey" and even "Stuck In A Moment." These songs to me sound natural and unforced. They're just good solid songs without much embellishment.

Contrasting that with certain songs from HTDAAB, where it seems they took a much more scientific approach to crafting pop music...excuse me - "rock." None of the songs (to me) sound like confident tunes. It's like U2 had a bunch of spare verses and choruses lying on the floor, which they then picked up and tried their hardest to connect. What they got, IMO, was a grotesque Franken-U2 collection of songs that, at best, remind you of similar U2 songs from the past that got the job done a lot smoother.

When I hear "Vertigo" I'm amazed at how cut-and-paste and awkward it is compared to previous rock-outs like Hold Me Thrill Me etc. and The Fly. At least "Elevation" (and this makes me a minority apparently) sounds it's having fun, where Vertigo is really really really trying.

When I hear SYCMIOYO, I'm disgusted by how over the top and sappy it is compared to previous ballads and songs about personal subjects like One, Stay, and Tommorrow, which all did it with mystery and a lot more restraint.

City Of Blinding Lights is trying to capture lightning twice within the fast, bloodpumping arena anthem category. But it is no WTSHNN. It's more like a younger sibling trying to emulate an older member of the family, but it's totally out of its element and if anything only succeeds on the most obvious and shallow levels.

Love and Peace or Else is trying to get down and dirty and establish an old school rock and roll groove, but in the end it's plastic-sounding and a far cry from "Desire", which moved with a momentum and fury quite removed from the studied and pretentious HTDAAB offering.

I'm not gonna go thru the entire album. All I'm pointing out is that the Bomb's songs do nothing but remind me of their older classics. Every song is a lesser version of one they already conquered in the past.

Popular music does not necesarrily equal shite music. I don't know how somebody can say that City of Blinding Lights or Vertigo "appeals to the masses" too much, when i think they are fantatsic songs. to each his own.

and btw how can you call a U2 song 'too mainstream' ? how can song be too popular for the biggest band in the world?

Last edited:
ozeeko said:

Thing is, maybe on a superficial level HTDAAB is rockier sounding, but the songwriting strikes me as way poppier and safer than ATYCLB.

To further explain my point: ATYCLB may "sound" like more of a pop production, but a lot of the songs are straight-up rock and soul. Examples being "Beautiful Day", "In A Little While", "New York", "When I Look At The World", "Wild Honey" and even "Stuck In A Moment." These songs to me sound natural and unforced. They're just good solid songs without much embellishment.

Contrasting that with certain songs from HTDAAB, where it seems they took a much more scientific approach to crafting pop music...excuse me - "rock." None of the songs (to me) sound like confident tunes. It's like U2 had a bunch of spare verses and choruses lying on the floor, which they then picked up and tried their hardest to connect. What they got, IMO, was a grotesque Franken-U2 collection of songs that, at best, remind you of similar U2 songs from the past that got the job done a lot smoother.

When I hear "Vertigo" I'm amazed at how cut-and-paste and awkward it is compared to previous rock-outs like Hold Me Thrill Me etc. and The Fly. At least "Elevation" (and this makes me a minority apparently) sounds it's having fun, where Vertigo is really really really trying.

When I hear SYCMIOYO, I'm disgusted by how over the top and sappy it is compared to previous ballads and songs about personal subjects like One, Stay, and Tommorrow, which all did it with mystery and a lot more restraint.

City Of Blinding Lights is trying to capture lightning twice within the fast, bloodpumping arena anthem category. But it is no WTSHNN. It's more like a younger sibling trying to emulate an older member of the family, but it's totally out of its element and if anything only succeeds on the most obvious and shallow levels.

Love and Peace or Else is trying to get down and dirty and establish an old school rock and roll groove, but in the end it's plastic-sounding and a far cry from "Desire", which moved with a momentum and fury quite removed from the studied and pretentious HTDAAB offering.

I'm not gonna go thru the entire album. All I'm pointing out is that the Bomb's songs do nothing but remind me of their older classics. Every song is a lesser version of one they already conquered in the past.

Wow. I think I agree with every single word in your post. And I'm not saying this to get a rise out of people or say the same thing over and over again.

To me, HTDAAB was not a grower. I liked it, in fact loved it instantly! It was only later that I started seeing it for what it was. Let me explain. On first listen, there is a lot of guitar here and it's a welcome change from the instant blandness of ATYCLB. Funny how that works cos ATYCLB grows on you with time, that's what I learnt. HTDAAB is the total opposite. As ozeeko said it sounds like a Greatest Hits CD with bits and pieces from all over their discography! The guitar work is all mostly familiar from previous classics. And they've done it all better before. That's my opinion on the majority of this album. Of course, there are exceptions like the brilliant Fast Cars!

Back
Top Bottom