Have U2 become TOO good and therefore beyond themselves? - Page 5 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2006, 09:52 PM   #81
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:48 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Canadiens1160

It would, er, help if the initial thread made sense.

did I mention you're my hero?

IMO.

Old 07-19-2006, 10:36 PM   #82
The Fly

Local Time: 10:48 PM
*looks down the list of users arguing on this thread* Yup, looks like every other HTDAAB-bashing thread.

Why stop with just a "small club"? Maybe we need a whole ATYCLB > HTDAAB Forum just so you folks can go there and bash 24/7.

Well you at least got one thing right - that "club" you all are a part of is, indeed very small. HTDAAB is a complete album that swept the grammy's and won album of the year.

ATYCLB is roughly half an album with a bunch of B-sides thrown in. Other than New York, the back end of the album is below average at best. And anyone who thinks the second half of ATYCLB is up to U2's standards, IMO, shows a lack of musical good taste. HTDAAB is likely what U2 had in mind when they set trying to make ATYCLB and failed. The reason the two albums sound similar is that the band wanted to get it right the second time around. And they did. Creatively, lyrically and musically HTDAAB is superior.

As far as getting BACK to the actual topic that started this thread, no band can become "too good". It is the same as those who seem to think you can "over-produce" an album. There is no such thing. U2 produced these albums to attempt to create the sound they were after at the time. They did the same thing back in the 80's but back then the band iself was not as sophisticated as it is now. The musicians and the men of U2 have matured and grown more sophisticated and so has their music over time.

What you are hearing out of U2 recently is an outgrowth of a band that has tightened back up and became more together than they have been since the early 80's. The sound is beautiful and soaring at times while focusing on the concepts and thoughts of the best lyricist in the world today. To those that detest this style of U2, don't worry. With the completion of the masterpiece that is HTDAAB, U2 will likely go in a new direction in their never-ending search to expand their sound and reach into new areas. U2 is never static and always dynamic. U2 is about the future. They will never become "too good".

Old 07-19-2006, 11:28 PM   #83
Refugee

I don't see how people say that the original post doesn't make sense. Dense are we?

The whole point of the original post is: as the members of U2 have become better musicians and lived the life of the rich and famous...ect, has it hurt their musical output?

The magic of U2 in the 80's was their simplicity. They stated over and over in interviews that they would be nothing without the collective group because none of them were great musicians. But together...magic can happen. As time went by, U2 naturally became better musicians and have in a way become more focused on the formula of making hits. They have now become master songwriters. Now they know how to do it. In the past they didn't know their craft quite so well, so the songs came out more raw--from a more natural place. The pieces just sort of fell together and sometimes they didn't (October, half the songs on TUF, half the songs on War).

Anyway, the magic is still there IMO. I think ATYCLB is a fantastic album and I would listen to it well before I'd listen to Boy, October, War, TUF, TJT, R&H or Zooropa. I always tell myself that I don't like HTDAAB as much as Achtung or Pop or ATYCLB...but for some odd reason the disk has stayed in my car since it was released almost 2 years ago and is my most regularily played album after Achtung Baby.
Old 07-20-2006, 04:16 AM   #84
Refugee

Local Time: 04:48 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by cypress
Yup, looks like every other HTDAAB-bashing thread.

(...)

ATYCLB is roughly half an album with a bunch of B-sides thrown in. Other than New York, the back end of the album is below average at best. And anyone who thinks the second half of ATYCLB is up to U2's standards, IMO, shows a lack of musical good taste.
That's a good argument why there shouldn't be any HTDAAB-bashing: ATYCLB sucks! Says cypress. And he's right of course, 'cause we suffer from a lack of musical good taste.

Old 07-20-2006, 10:58 AM   #85
The Fly

Local Time: 07:48 PM
Indeed

Quote:
Originally posted by WalkOn21
That's a good argument why there shouldn't be any HTDAAB-bashing: ATYCLB sucks! Says cypress. And he's right of course, 'cause we suffer from a lack of musical good taste.

Yeah I don't recall bashing the Bomb, just saying I liked it less than ATYCLB. I certainly didn't support my opinion with "facts" about Bomb being half an album with a bunch of B sides either. Back to that old opinion as fact crap.
Old 07-20-2006, 11:18 AM   #86
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Originally posted by cypress

ATYCLB is roughly half an album with a bunch of B-sides thrown in. Other than New York, the back end of the album is below average at best. And anyone who thinks the second half of ATYCLB is up to U2's standards, IMO, shows a lack of musical good taste.

Old 07-20-2006, 09:21 PM   #87
Blue Crack Addict

Location: Omaha, Nebraska “With Screwtape on Kettle Drum and Wormwood on Harpsichord!”
I disagree that the last two albums were a waste. I found that the songs of Bomb really came alive on tour. I really think that U2 are just finding themselves again musically. I think that U2 needs only to bring out the live potential of the songs out in the studio. Daniel Lanois said that the The Joshua Tree had the feel of performance. U2 just needs to bring the production value up. In the great albums, U2 songs felt like the band was in the room with you. Take Original Of The Species for example, the album version can't beat the live version. My solution is that the band (this might be a stupid idea) "borrow" an arena and record the album in a stadium atmosphere.
In short, U2 needs to bring the songs to thier full potential before finishing an album. U2 did it with Vertigo, they can do it again.
Old 07-20-2006, 09:53 PM   #88
Babyface

Local Time: 03:48 AM
Who was Bono in a past life? I vote for FDR. And Ally can be Eleanor. (Hope the dates work out!)