Have U2 become TOO good and therefore beyond themselves? - Page 4 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2006, 04:43 PM   #61
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 07:41 AM
Space/Time Distortion of Awesomeness! !!!

Old 07-19-2006, 04:52 PM   #62
you are what you is

Local Time: 06:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by bsp77
People should be able to give their opinions without being attacked.
I think the problem is still not so much that people are getting attacked about their opinion, but that some people keep portaying their opinions as facts and seem to not want to recognise this in any way

besides that
I prefer ATYCLB to Bomb more than a lot

Old 07-19-2006, 04:56 PM   #63
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Salome
I think the problem is still not so much that people are getting attacked about their opinion, but that some people keep portaying their opinions as facts and seem to not want to recognise this in any way
You do realize that not everybody uses IMO or 'in my opinion' when saying something, even if they do mean it as just their opinion! I can see how it can get annoying to use IMO every single time you say something.

What I don't get is it's all just opinion anyway. This whole website is just opinion except for the News section. Then why do people get their panties in a bunch???
Old 07-19-2006, 04:58 PM   #64
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 11:41 PM
Quote:

Old 07-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #65
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by Zootlesque

You do realize that not everybody uses IMO or 'in my opinion' when saying something, even if they do mean it as just their opinion! I can see how it can get annoying to use IMO every single time you say something.

What I don't get is it's all just opinion anyway. This whole website is just opinion except for the News section. Then why do people get their panties in a bunch???
Would you please stop portraying your opinion as a fact? It reeeeeaaally pisses me off.

imo.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:02 PM   #66
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Quote:

Yeah, I NEVER say IMO. Generally you should be able to tell whether the person is truly so sure of themselves by the way they write it.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:03 PM   #67
you are what you is

Quote:

I don't need to see "IMO" 250 times

but there are people who post something and when someone disagree they say those people are either wrong or they basically repeat what they already said before without recognising any other opinion as near valid

quite often it is not that obvious who is actually the first one to get their panties in a bunch
Old 07-19-2006, 05:05 PM   #68
you are what you is

Quote:
Originally posted by U2Man

Would you please stop portraying your opinion as a fact? It reeeeeaaally pisses me off.

imo.
it doesn't piss me off
but it seems only fair that if you want people to listen to you, yuo try to figure what part of what your saying is opinion and what part is fact if only to make a better arguement

fall back plan is always sarcasm though
Old 07-19-2006, 05:11 PM   #69
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
it doesn't piss me off
but it seems only fair that if you want people to listen to you, yuo try to figure what part of what your saying is opinion and what part is fact if only to make a better arguement

fall back plan is always sarcasm though
I believe most adults can separate opinions from facts without having to be guided through.

This discussion is silly, anyway.

Edited to say: ...and it wasn't really sarcasm. Zootlesque is extremely annoying. And he admits it openly, just look at his signature.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:12 PM   #70
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 12:41 AM
Let's get back on topic which is...

wait, none of us understand it.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #71
you are what you is

Quote:

I believe most adults can separate opinions from facts without having to be guided through.

This discussion is silly, anyway.
silly it might be
but it seems to be the root of the problem of many fights here

to seperate opinions from facts is actually extremely difficult
even more so when your own opinion is involved

but I do enjoy a bit of bickering anyway
Old 07-19-2006, 05:16 PM   #72
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I think there are fine lines.

When someone says, "Song A has one of U2's best rhythm sections", is purely opinion. This should be rather obvious that it's only opinion.

But when someone says, "Album B was considered a failure by the majority of fans because it was too complex" is opinion sold as fact. For this type of statement can be refuted or backed by objective material using reviews and general consensus of fans.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:19 PM   #73
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Quote:
U2 girl: I cannot just say "No. I don't like HTDAAB." or "No, I hate HTDAAB." because I do not hate it. Just trying to point out the things I don't like about it. Or the way U2 seems to have approached the recording of this album, IMO. But if you like it a lot, so be it. If Aygo thinks it is the greatest album ever and that Yahweh is the greatest song ever then fine. Newsflash: Opinions differ! What're we fighting about again?
Quote:
You know, they closed the "new direction in next U2 album "thread in Where The Album Has No Name. Funny thing is, it had nothing to do with the actual discussion. It was because Aygo and Snowlock starting cursing at each other. Damn shame because it was actually a thought-provoking thread for once.
Ok. You want to go that way. Fine, I don't care. But first, let me tell you that it's not very gentle from your persons to come again and talk about "what happened in the other thread" and reffering other interferers nicknames as guilties for this or that action.
You want to blame me for that? That's ok.
Will I be seen here as a thread-closer and a unconditional 00's U2 appreciator (even though that's not true)? Perhaps..., and that's fine too.

If mods want to ban me from here for having being rude (too) in another thread, go ahead, I don't really care about it. Big deal... But it's a shame that things like these happen in a forum like this and worse is that those things are allowed by those who supposedly control it. Not even on a forum people learn to accept the others' point of view and impose their opinion by force as if it was imperial, I wouldn't call it democratic.

I'm going to stop posting here. Now, you don't have to take with those replies such as "HTDAAB is a great album" or "I like the band's most recent work" and all opinions like my one won't have to be discussed 'till everybody starts backlash against it. When I get bored, i'll come here and distract myself with the ridiculous and senseless replies such as many I read here everyday.

Oh,... you can go on the thread, don't bother because of me. Keep on discussing if there will be a ATYCLB part III or not, this was only a side remark. But please, I'd ask not to refer my nickname again in an ocasion the one on page 4 of this thread. Thank you.

Quote:
People should be able to give their opinions without being attacked.
That's not what's been happening here, but... agreed.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:22 PM   #74
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:

but I do enjoy a bit of bickering anyway
Old 07-19-2006, 05:25 PM   #75
ONE
love, blood, life

Quote:
Originally posted by BonoVoxSupastar

But when someone says, "Album B was considered a failure by the majority of fans because it was too complex" is opinion sold as fact.

I would say it's either a false statement or a true statement. Not an opinion.
Old 07-19-2006, 05:30 PM   #76
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:
Originally posted by Aygo

But please, I'd ask not to refer my nickname again in an ocasion the one on page 4 of this thread. Thank you.
I'm sorry if me mentioning your name bothered you that much. I didn't say anything negative about you though. Just that we all have differing opinions and that it's silly to be arguing and fighting over this.

Old 07-19-2006, 05:37 PM   #77
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

I would say it's either a false statement or a true statement. Not an opinion.
Well it pretty much is, but that person may have seen people's rejection of it because "they didn't get it." So their opinion can cloud the objectiveness of reviews and such. It happens all the time in here.
Old 07-19-2006, 06:07 PM   #78
The Fly

Local Time: 05:41 AM
Can everybody just stop picking on each other, and splitting hairs about words used, perceptions, IMO's, facts, non-facts and so on...?

Or else I just would have posted a thread called: "Put your words in a weight-scale, and if you don't like them, knock each other out!"

Stop arguing like little children and just comment on the initial thread, for f... sake!!
Old 07-19-2006, 06:10 PM   #79
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 01:41 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by onyourkneesboy
Stop arguing like little children and just comment on the initial thread, for f... sake!! [/B]

It would, er, help if the initial thread made sense.

Old 07-19-2006, 06:19 PM   #80
Blue Crack Supplier

It's funny cos it's true.