Have I turned into a big girl's blouse recently or what?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

paulrg

Refugee
Whenever I see one of the live recordings of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own at the middle section my eyes get blurry and trickly and my throat lumpy. Does this happen to any other males out there or am I turning into a big girl's blouse?:huh:

Me eyes have got wet before on occasion such as the transition from Bad to Streets or AIWIY to Streets but Sometimes gets me every damn time.

What a song. It's not so much that its sad or overly sentimental, just heart-wrenchingly bloody honest. Put this with One Step Closer and its for me as powerful as anything U2 have ever done.

My gf looked at me a bit shocked too:ohmy: I need a girl who "gets" U2.

paulrg said:
Whenever I see one of the live recordings of Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own at the middle section my eyes get blurry and trickly and my throat lumpy. Does this happen to any other males out there or am I turning into a big girl's blouse?:huh:

Me eyes have got wet before on occasion such as the transition from Bad to Streets or AIWIY to Streets but Sometimes gets me every damn time.

What a song. It's not so much that its sad or overly sentimental, just heart-wrenchingly bloody honest. Put this with One Step Closer and its for me as powerful as anything U2 have ever done.
YEP'you are:wink:
Only kidding,there are many u2 songs that get me like that.When i play them and i go a bit 'tingly' my missus just looks at me gone out.I thought it was only me that felt that way,RESPECT paulrg:|

A BIG GIRLS BLOUSE
?
what is the origin of this ?
big in what way?

this song makes me cry too.

those words
who they are for
the melody
how i feel about my own dad

i think its the best song on the whole CD .

I am moved whenever I specifically pay attention to Bono climbing the register toward "SING" . When it's on in the background, I don't notice it so much.

Initially, I was moved by the "You don't have to go it alone" sing song, but now it's just when he sings:

CAN
YOU
HEAR
ME
WHEN
I
S-I-I-I-I-N-N-N-N-G!

My father is still alive, but the sentiment is true for most of us, we want our parents to be proud of us. It seems that even with all that he has accomplished, his Dad still hadn't told him how proud he was of him. Or if he told him, it still hadn't sunk in.

starsforu2 said:
I am moved whenever I specifically pay attention to Bono climbing the register toward "SING" . When it's on in the background, I don't notice it so much.

Initially, I was moved by the "You don't have to go it alone" sing song, but now it's just when he sings:

CAN
YOU
HEAR
ME
WHEN
I
S-I-I-I-I-N-N-N-N-G!

My father is still alive, but the sentiment is true for most of us, we want our parents to be proud of us. It seems that even with all that he has accomplished, his Dad still hadn't told him how proud he was of him. Or if he told him, it still hadn't sunk in.

:sad: :sad:

I find it emotional to watch him perform it, like on SNL or MTVJammed. I can hear the pain in his voice when he sings the "when I siiiiinnnngg" part. I just lost my grandfather, who I was very close to so it hits home with me.

I was just thinking about a video concept for SYCMIOYO video. I know they are filming it now, but this thought just occured to me. I think this video would be really powerful if it was simliar to the video for "One". The video where Bono is in a smokey bar singing/talking directly into the camera. Can you picture Bono singing these words about his father in a controlled, simple and direct way? I think it would be amazing.

I wish his dad would been alive long enough to hear him sing this song, and in particular, the siiiiing part. Can you imagine his dad hearing him hit that tenor A? I bet it would have brought tears to Bob's eyes.

Numb1075 said:
I was just thinking about a video concept for SYCMIOYO video. I know they are filming it now, but this thought just occured to me. I think this video would be really powerful if it was simliar to the video for "One". The video where Bono is in a smokey bar singing/talking directly into the camera. Can you picture Bono singing these words about his father in a controlled, simple and direct way? I think it would be amazing.

According to the article on U2.com this is going to be an amazing video.

Put aside the crew of sixty and the lorryloads of equipment and all you are left with is four musicians with their instruments on a stage – along with some stunning lighting effects casting a tranquil purple-red glow behind the band as they perform.
and
The twist in the shoot is that while the song opens with the band playing on an empty stage against a plain backdrop, as the song reaches its climax, the scrim rises to reveal the golden yellow balconies and burgundy décor of the place where the opera was sung by Bob Hewson.
:heart:

Sounds awesome, can't wait to see this :up:

I was watching Cona Obrien last night and Liam neeson was on and they were discussing irish/english sayings
and they brought up big girls blouse...
conans irish mom used to call him that
conan was like when i was a child i wore a big girls blouse..and he pouted .hehe hes so cute

father and son...no greater bond...a great song that makes me weepy...that being said my dad would kick my ass and call me a pussy if i cried over a song lol:rant::laugh::yuck::yikes:

Last edited:
carrieluvv said:
I was watching Cona Obrien last night and Liam neeson was on and they were discussing irish/english sayings
and they brought up big girls blouse...
conans irish mom used to call him that
conan was like when i was a child i wore a big girls blouse..and he pouted .hehe hes so cute

Hehe, yeah I saw that too. Conan rocks - I wish U2 would go on his show!

And as for SYCMIOYO - it was the first song to really catch me when I heard HTDAAB. It's gorgeous and I can't wait to see it performed live!

Personally, the first time I heard 'Original/Species' live from the Apple/U2 press conference a few months back, it hit me good. Idon't think I've hever heard such a heart wrenching song yet joyous song. I seriously don't know how to feel when I listen. Much like 'One', the song can sum up so many different moods.

My grandma passed away in June and today is 6 months since. It was a terrible situation and my mom is still very much caught up in the emotions. Since the album came out I've played all the songs for her and 'Sometimes' really hits home. They used to talk on the phone all the time and now the phone doesn't ring as much as it used to. 'Sometimes' and 'Original/Species' are great tributes to life and realizing just how much someone means/ has meant to you, and now I can't listen to the song without remembering grandma and how hurt my mom feels. That hurt finds its way down to me, but she's much better off now than what she was in her last weeks with us.

Back
Top Bottom