Have a Heart for Africa Bono Associate Starts New Website (Jamila is part of)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Regina O'Numb

War Child
(I don't know if it was posted or if this is the right place to this article; anyway ...)

Have a Heart for Africa Bono Associate Starts New Website

Starting on Valentine's Day, people will be able to visit a new website which will directly link them with some of those most directly affected by the AIDS pandemic in Africa. The website of the Mulago Positive Women's Network (MPWN) of Kampala Uganda, headed by Agnes Nyamayarwo, a main spokesperson of ONE (the Campaign to Make Poverty History - www.one.org), founded by Bono (U2) is being released today, Valentine's Day, to encourage people around the world to "Have a Heart for Africa".

New York, NY (PRWEB) February 16, 2008 -- Starting on Valentine's Day, people will be able to visit a new website which will directly link them with some of those most directly affected by the AIDS pandemic in Africa.

The website of the Mulago Positive Women's Network (MPWN) of Kampala Uganda, headed by Agnes Nyamayarwo, a main spokesperson of ONE (the Campaign to Make Poverty History - www.one.org), founded by Bono (U2) is being released today, Valentine's Day, to encourage people around the world to "Have a Heart for Africa".

The HIV/AIDS crisis in Africa has been recognized as the worst health epidemic in modern human history. Already, over thirty-seven (37) million people have died of AIDS around the world with at least twenty-five (25) million of them in sub-Saharan Africa. Starting today, there is a new website which highlights the challenges of "living positively" with HIV/AIDS in Africa.

The website of the Mulago Positive Women's Network (MPWN) - www.mpwn-uganda.org - will be a unique opportunity for the public to interact with some of those in Africa directly affected by the AIDS pandemic. The website will contain personal stories of some of the womenof the MPWN along with links to associated websites where visitors can learn more about how they can help stop HIV/AIDS and extreme poverty in Africa.

Visitors will also be able to purchase some of the traditional African craft items that the women of the MPWN produce. All proceeds from the sale of these craft items will go directly to the women who produce them. Craft items that will be available for purchase include African beaded necklaces, batik wall hangings, hand-carved wooden statues, African baskets of all colors, shapes and sizes and an African mother with child doll handmade by Agnes Nyamayarwo herself.

Agnes Nyamayarwo is the main facilitator of the Mulago Positive Women's Network. The MPWN was started in January 2004 to address the special needs of HIV+ women in Uganda. Based in Kampala Uganda, the MPWN functions as a support network to assist its members in "living positively" with HIV/AIDS.

The MPWN is affiliated with TASO (The AIDS Support Organization - www.tasouganda.org) of Uganda - one of the longest established and most prestigious African-initiated AIDS organizations in the continent.

Agnes Nyamayarwo has often been referred to by Bono (U2) as one of the "heroes" of the AIDS pandemic in Africa. In 2002, during a trip to Africa, Bono visited with several members of TASO, including Agnes, and was inspired by her courage in her personal struggle with HIV/AIDS.

Agnes would become a main speaker on the "Heart of America" tour with Bono in December 2002 which launched DATA (Debt, AIDS, Trade, Africa - www.data.org). Agnes is also a main spokesperson for ONE, the Campaign to Make Poverty History (www.one.org) where she continues to this day to advocate on behalf of the world's poorest people.

Bono continues his activities for Africa through DATA and ONE as well as through RED (www.joinred.com) and EDUN (www.edunonline.com)

The Mulago Positive Women's Network would like to thank Jason Liebe and Iterative Media of Austin Texas for their assistance in the creation and maintenance of their website. Other notables to thank are Juliet Tembe and TASO, all the people at DATA and ONE, Debbie Kreuser and Sue Sadkowski who championed this website from start to finish and Bono - for all that he has done and continues to do for Africa.

For more information on this venture, please call (512) 992-7782.

http://www.prweb.com/releases/2008/02/prweb700344.htm

:applaud: Congratulations Jamila!

Last edited:
I would just like to thank Regina O' Numb for her support of this venture.

I had no idea that she posted this here until someone informed me of this today.

Those of us at this website hope that people here will support it due to those who will benefit from this venture. All of us have donated our time and effort to help this organization of women in Uganda and we hope that there will be people of goodwill here who will also want to join in this effort.

Thank you for your time and concern for Africa's people. :bonodrum:

I thank all of you who are posting here or are contacting me personally to offer your congratulations on this site.

I have worked on this idea with Agnes since last Summer. It was her fondest wish to have a website set up just for her organization so that the HIV+ women that she works with could have a way to sell their STUNNINGLY BEAUTIFUL craft items around the world.

All the women that Agnes works with live in real poverty. Some can not afford the fees for their children to go to school - others do not have enough food to share with their families.

Besides telling their own stories of personal courage in fighting HIV/AIDS, the site's success is dependent on the sale of MPWN crafts to help the women help themselves.

I will stress again that 100% of the purchase price that you pay for one of the MPWN craft items goes directly to the women who produce your items.

How can it get better than that?

So please see if there is an item or two from the MPWN website that you would like to have in your home or give to a loved one & then contact us.

We'll work very hard to make sure that you're satisfied with your purchase.

Thank you :bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Jamila said:
I would just like to thank Regina O' Numb for her support of this venture.

I had no idea that she posted this here until someone informed me of this today.

Those of us at this website hope that people here will support it due to those who will benefit from this venture. All of us have donated our time and effort to help this organization of women in Uganda and we hope that there will be people of goodwill here who will also want to join in this effort.

Thank you for your time and concern for Africa's people. :bonodrum:

Dear Jamila, you´re always welcome. You can count me in!:hug:

Thanks Regina from my heart on behalf of this endeavor. :hug:

You have been a true friend and U2 follower through the years and I am hono(red) to have your support for this website.

In many respects, the Music Rising and MPWN websites are sister sites since they both are addressing people's attention and support to issues of personal concern to members of U2.

:edge: :up: :bono: :love:

Thank you to all who are posting their support for this project. Your good thoughts and wishes are greatly appreciated.

Please feel free to contact us about VOLUNTEERING for this effort to help Agnes & the women of the MPWN to provide for their families and their futures.

EveryONE is welcomed to get involved. There are many things that you can do to help us make this idea of Agnes' a success for the women & their families of the MPWN.

We look forward to hearing from YOU soon!

:bono: :hug:

I just wanted to let y'all know that last week I received a new shipment of craft items from our friends in Uganda and the craft items look GREAT!

I've had a very busy week and haven't been able to post the new craft items on the MPWN website yet but I did want you to know that they are in so please be on the outlook for some EXCELLENT NEW CRAFT ITEMS soon.

I also wanted to extend to all of you an invitation to JOIN US at www.change.org or at www.myspace.com where I am hosting several discussion areas about the Mulago Positive Women's Network (MPWN).

Living Positively, debbie :wink:

Today, members of ONE from the DC office were in Kampala, Uganda visiting the Mulago Hospital and the offices of TASO there.

TASO is the "mother" organization of the MPWN which is also stationed at the Mulago Hospital.

There is a lot happening right now in regards to this so, for now, let me just give you a link where you can find out more about what ONE is doing in Uganda today!

http://www.one.org/blog/2008/03/10/...#comment-536836

Living Positively, debbie :up:

Back
Top Bottom