Has U2 set some kind of record with these Grammies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dream wanderer

Acrobat
Sorry for another new thread...but I was afraid of this getting lost and I really want to know...

Has any other Rock and roll band won as many grammies as U2? With their recent wins this makes what...14???I realize some of the classic rock bands and artists were never even nominated because rock wasn't respected in the early days (I think Elvis only ever won for his work in gospel music for example)

I really don't know where to look this up...does anyone know just off the top of their head ?
smile.gif

dream wanderer

BBC news just said that fourteen is the most of any rock band ever. They didn't say anything about the most for any artist though.

Still...FOURTEEN Grammys...that's just phenomenal. Wow. Words fail me...and that's a very rare occurence
wink.gif

And of those 14 awards, they have:

1 "Album of the Year" - very prestigious award for JT

2 "Record of the Year" - arguably the most prestigious award, for BD and WO

1 "Song of the Year" - another highly prestigious award for BD

2 "Rock Album of the Year" - not as prestigious, but still highly respected award for AB and ATYCLB

1 "Alternative Album of the Year" - another highly respected award for "Zooropa"

and numerous other "Pop Songs" and video awards. In other words, U2 have won ALL of the major Grammy awards, including the three most prestigious Grammy awards, and have numerous other Grammy awards to their name.

7 Grammys for "All That You Can?t Leave Behind"

"Album of the Year" - for ?Joshua Tree?
"Rock Album of the Year" ? for ?Achtung Baby?
"Alternative Album of the Year" - for "Zooropa"

I really want to know 4 other Grammys. Can anyone help?

Didn't I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For win Record/Song of the Year?

------------------

"You must not look down on someone just 'cos they are 14 years old. When I was that age I listened to the music of John Lennon and it changed my way of seeing things, so I'm just glad that 14 year olds are coming to see U2 rather than group X." - Bono, 1988

Then check out this link....
http://forum.interference.com/u2feedback/Forum1/HTML/018320.html

This list is 100% accurate and was ripped directly from the official Grammy site. It lists all 14 Grammys directly awarded to U2.

It does NOT list the 1992 Grammy given to Lanois/Eno. That was for "Producer of the Year", not a U2 award per se. That's why U2 officially only has 14 instead of 15. In fact, that PotY award was even a tie since they [Lanois/Eno] shared it with Babyface.

The JT version of "I Still Haven't Found" was nominated for Record of the Year and Song of the Year in 1998, but lost.
http://www.u2faq.com also confirms the number 14.

[This message has been edited by rsanta74 (edited 02-28-2002).]

Man, I forgot that U2 won Album of the Year for JT. If I hadn't seen it on the offical Grammy site I would have argued all night about it. Where did I dream up that Paul Simon's "Graceland" beat U2 for that award? Am I thinking about another year or another award?

I wonder if there is any album besides ATYCLB that all the singles won grammys, too. That is pretty impressive, imo. For all those who thought U2 were one hit wonders (if there were any...)

Originally posted by U2ster:
Man, I forgot that U2 won Album of the Year for JT. If I hadn't seen it on the offical Grammy site I would have argued all night about it. Where did I dream up that Paul Simon's "Graceland" beat U2 for that award? Am I thinking about another year or another award?

I believe Paul Simon won in 1987, the year before The Joshua Tree won Album Of The Year.

C ya!

Marty (who thinks Graceland is a superb album)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

Originally posted by Jack4U:
7 Grammys for "All That You Can?t Leave Behind"

"Album of the Year" - for ?Joshua Tree?
"Rock Album of the Year" ? for ?Achtung Baby?
"Alternative Album of the Year" - for "Zooropa"

I really want to know 4 other Grammys. Can anyone help?

I need to know, too!

Back
Top Bottom