Has U2 ever used so many different producers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
First we heard a rocking album is being done with Chris Thomas - in April 2003, was it?

Then, in November of that year, Daniel Lanois came in to "see if I can help" as he said - apparently for a few days because he was on tour then. (and he was allegedly seen at the studio this year, too)

In February this year, all of a sudden, Steve Lillywhite says he'll be "producing" and even mentions "working on an album from the start".

All along, we keep hearing the album is (and is going) great.

Now, Jacknife Lee (who?!?), a DJ is said to be working with them - on a rocking album.

:confused:

I'm getting the feeling something weird is going on - how come an album that has been "promised" as early as 2002, and bit more seriuosly for 2003, still isn't out? What is a DJ doing around a rocking/guitarsy album?
"Too many cooks spoil the broth" I fear...

*edit* I know Brian Eno came in late with AB, and if I am not mistaken they changed the producer with POP, but this is now the 3rd time they're calling in other people to finish what someone else started out producing. Does that mean they're having studio problems again?

Last edited:
Yeah I know I was just thinking the exact same thing after reading this new bit of news about Jacknife Lee.

Who's gonna be next into the studio.... :eyebrow:

You have to like the name Jacknife Lee, but come on ! If it's going so well, why are they bringing in so many darn people then? And a DJ to boot !! I'm sure we'll all hear the stories of what is going on now in the studio in future interviews, magazines, and books after the album is released - I'm almost as excited to hear what the hell is going on in those studios as the new album itself. LOL

Well, Lillywhite normally mixes their albums and he's producing this time, so maybe they brought in this DJ guy to mix it.

Just a guess...

perhaps it has something to do with the song on the soundtrack? When i read he was a remixer i thought the same thing Victor

or...just to add on to my last post, it's gonna sound like The Rapture's CD....it's got a ton of dance beats in it (ironically they just signed with PM)

Numb1075 said:
good point victor. but will that really push an album out another 7 months or so (fall release?)

the remix is maybe just a 'extra' thing...

they can still be working in another songs, but preparing the first single.

different people coming into to listen to different tracks just means "fresh ears". Thomas had probably heard all of the tracks hundreds of times and at some point it becomes hard to spur the creativity. "Fresh ears" always help.

If you ask me, this Jacknife character is just remixing a single or two.

My guess is he's either just a pair of "fresh ears" and/or he'll be mixing some b-sides. He could be arranging the song for the soundtrack also, which may or may not appear in one form or another.

I bet most of the tracks are pretty much done. There may be a couple things/few songs Lillywhite has to mix and polish, but they are probobly not the major/single songs!!

First single choice/release (lol!): All Because of You

and you can quote me on that if it's right and completely forget it if i'm wrong!!!! LOL!

Yep, bang on, the answer you already knew and I won't be convinced otherwise - Studio Problems - and clashes I reckon with Thomas, Dunno why they brought him in at all then turfed him out, I think this is going to be a Lilywhite sound - forget the rest U2 are probably rehashing the songs - No album has taken them as long and they're fing living in the studio - six days a week- I saw Thomas on the final day he left and I can tell you he did not look a very happy man. This DJ GEEZER HUH!!!!!

if this is supposed to be edge's breakout album, maybe HE will be the next producer in on the mix:wink: i.e. Zooropa

IMO Zooropa's gotta be their strangest and most interesting album yet... the obscurity of the lyrics and different noises that filled that album- its gotta be cus the:edge:

Back
Top Bottom