Has U2 ever covered The Clash?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Basstrap

ONE love, blood, life
to my knowlewdge they have not done so

and it would make a lot of sense for that to be remedied

oh yes, my trouts

Ok but what song do you think is perfect for U2 to cover??

I'd say, SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO!..reson is that that song translates it's lyrics into spanish, just as Vertigo does...Plus I think Edges guitar would sound wicked in that song!!:drool:
And I can totally hear Bono and Edge singing the spanish parts...Maybe we can suggest it to The Edge:sexywink:

Last edited:
I agree with everyone here - it would be HEAVEN to see U2 cover the Clash! :wink:

The closest that any of U2 have gotten to covering the Clash I think was the "46664" song that Bono and Edge performed at the 46664 concert last November in Cape Town, South Africa.

Remember, Bono and Dave Stewart were working with Joe Strummer on that song before Joe passed on....:angel:

And, IF ANY OF U2 ARE READING THIS - how about it?

It seems like we would all like to see y'all do some Clash tributes on the next tour.:up:

Good question, basstrap! :hug:

IT'S A LONG WALK TO FREEDOM....:edge: :bono: :love:

BonoFox1 said:
Ok but what song do you think is perfect for U2 to cover??

I'd say, SHOULD I STAY OR SHOULD I GO!..reson is that that song translates it's lyrics into spanish, just as Vertigo does...Plus I think Edges guitar would sound wicked in that song!!:drool:
And I can totally hear Bono and Edge singing the spanish parts...Maybe we can suggest it to The Edge:sexywink:

I sure hope they don't touch this song. It's horrible! So is Rock the Casbah for that matter. If they must do a Clash cover, please make it something from the London Calling album.

there was a thread a few months back- shoot, i may have even started it, but we were throwin' around songs U2 might/ should cover on this tour. I thought 'London Calling ' would be the perfect Clash song to cover. Then again theres a Clash tune 'Spanish Bombs'! How fitting would that be. :wink: I'd expect a Johnny Cash tune or even 'the wanderer' to resurface ala 'satellite of love ' from ZooTV. I don't think either the Clash or Cash will be forgotten on this tour.

I know it's not quite the same but on the second night in London on the last tour Bono sang the line "I live by the river" during Elevation and Walk On and on the bootleg it sounds absolutely awesome.
For the next tour if they do play Twickenham, which isn't a million miles from the river a full cover of London Calling would be probably be the best cover imaginable.

I hope U2 does NOT cover the Clash. Mostly because The Clash is musically inferior to U2 and it would be a step down. Besides, one cover of a Clash song is one less U2 classic that we would love to hear.

Obviously, they can't play "Should I stay or Should I go," "11O'clock Tick Tock," and "Ultraviolet!" all in the same concert.:wink:

saying the clash are musically inferior to u2 is ridiculous by the way

1. The clash were incredibly talented with their instruments with infusing a pop sensibility into a punk frame. Great composers
2. many of the best bands have been untalented hacks.
sometimes musical skill has nothing to do with it

FullonEdge2 said:
I hope U2 does NOT cover the Clash. Mostly because The Clash is musically inferior to U2 and it would be a step down. Besides, one cover of a Clash song is one less U2 classic that we would love to hear.

Obviously, they can't play "Should I stay or Should I go," "11O'clock Tick Tock," and "Ultraviolet!" all in the same concert.:wink:

So then what do you think of U2 *sorta* covering ABBA Dancing Queen, The Monkeys Day dream believer The Banchees Dear Prudence, or Los Lobos La Bamba????among others
Ha Ha Ha!!!:laugh:..Ok so they werent full on covered songs but If U2 can have fun with such songs why not a "better" song, something from the Clash??:rant:

The Clash are in no way musically inferior, I think someone has made a sweeping generalisation here. The Clash could actually play their instruments and actually knew what to do with them this is what seperated them from most other punk bands. If you look at their music yes they did do some simple stuff but some of it was also pretty complex, this is the sign of musically superior band rather than a musically inferior band.

BonoFox1 said:

So then what do you think of U2 *sorta* covering ABBA Dancing Queen, The Monkeys Day dream believer The Banchees Dear Prudence, or Los Lobos La Bamba????among others
Ha Ha Ha!!!:laugh:..Ok so they werent full on covered songs but If U2 can have fun with such songs why not a "better" song, something from the Clash??:rant:

Yeah, that sucks. Ok, I don't care if they cover the Clash...as long as it's not the show I'm at.:wink:

FullonEdge2 said:

Wow, that is one of the most ridiculous statements I have ever heard in this forum. I personally like U2 a lot more, but I would never call The Clash inferior. After all, they are known as 'The Only Band That Matters'.

Back
Top Bottom