Has U2 ever been this exposed on US TV before? Can it damage the band?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Zoo Schabow:
Actually, I hadn't even heard of U2 before TRL last year.

Is that true?

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

Originally posted by Zoo Schabow:
Yes. I was waiting for an NSync video, when all of a sudden these four old guys started playing. I've loved their music ever since.

LOL

Actually, I think the exposure is very good for them. It most likely has incresed their fan base. (like they really need to but you get my point).

They were on MTV all the time as far back as Joshua Tree cuz I remember screaming like a hungry teen every time I would see them on TV.

biggrin.gif

Originally posted by SicilianGoddess:
Actually, I think the exposure is very good for them. It most likely has incresed their fan base. (like they really need to but you get my point).

They were on MTV all the time as far back as Joshua Tree cuz I remember screaming like a hungry teen every time I would see them on TV.

biggrin.gif

Well, yeah, but wouldn't the videos alone help them increase the fanbase just as much? Most of teen/kids audience gets their first music impressions on MTV, right?

smile.gif

Originally posted by hippyactress:
I think that a lot of people didn't expect much after Pop, so it's been a nice surprise to see that they came back and are popular again.

This sentence only applies to America.

Originally posted by U2girl:
I mean, TRL, SNL, NBA, Jay Leno, (or was that David Letterman?) Super Bowl - were they ever so all over the place?
Even in the JT days?

I know they're trying to appeal to as much people as possible, but isn't there a time when "a lot exposure" becomes "too much"?
I mean, surely the tour and MTV awards/TRL appearance did the trick already.

No, U2 have never before done anywhere near as much live television as they have in the last year, at least in America.

Bono says U2 "[doesn't] have a great history of doing well on TV shows, which is why we didn't do it for years." I'm sure that's true, although I also suspect that U2 for a long time were themselves "too cool" to do live television, and perhaps wanted to maintain a bit of mystery.

The exposure of the last year doesn't do anything but help the band. They are in a stage of their career where they've almost attained "living legend" status and they cannot be over-exposed. There is little risk of backlash. We haven't seen any backlash yet, have we? And they've been on TV a helluva lot these last several months.

The Super Bowl is a huge coup for the band, and I for one am looking forward to that performance.

Back
Top Bottom