Has Summer Rain ever been played live?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

prof_peabody

The Fly
Obviously it has not been played on the Vertigo tour. Did this show up at all on Elevation tour setlists?

PS - please move this to the correct forum if it is out of place here. Wasn't sure where to put it.

Just like pictures of the pope wearing flyshades will never surface...

Can anyone else confirm that it hasn't been played live?

???

Why wouldn't you believe flangerchorus?

It has never been played live. Happy now?

How does he know it will never be played live? If he had just said nope, I wouldn't have replied...

-Anxiously awaiting a live rendition of summer rain.

pardon my "tone" prof_peabody, i really like the song and agree with you that a live version would be great to hear

I just clued in that the "never will be played" was out of frustration because it seems that way.

Yeah, Summer Rain is a strong B-side.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do not believe a B-side (of recent ilk) has been played since Holy Joe during the Popmart infomercial/opening press conference at the K-Mart in NYC. The obvious exception is The Sweetest Thing, which was re-done as an A-side.

With that said, I'll bite too... Summer Rain will never be played. The studio version is acoustic, and U2 NEVER plays acoustic studio songs live. By contrast, they often acousticize (yeah, I made that word up!) electric songs, for example, Angel of Harlem, Stay, When Love Comes to Town, Staring at the Sun, Please, Yahweh, etc.

The only exception to that rule (as far as I know) is Wild Honey, which was performed maybe 3 times. It was hardly played because it sunk like a lead balloon live. :huh:

U2 played Slow Dancing here in Edmonton in 1997, that might not be the last time but I cant think of an exception after that point in time.

Yahweh said:
U2 played Slow Dancing here in Edmonton in 1997, that might not be the last time but I cant think of an exception after that point in time.

FYI, Slow Dancing is a B-side to Stay from 1993.

Yes I know where it came from. Bsides are soon to be a thing of the past becuase I doubt U2 is going to put out singles anymore after this album.

Yahweh said:
Yes I know where it came from. Bsides are soon to be a thing of the past becuase I doubt U2 is going to put out singles anymore after this album.

Maybe officially released B-sides will disappear. Every recording session has weak tracks that do not make the album, so there will be B-sides. Maybe we will have to wait for best of 2001-2010.

Party Girl is a b-side and it was played 3 times this tour ...

Who knows, maybe during an outdoor show when it rains they may play Summer Rain, , , YOU NEVER KNOW

who thought they'd ever play An Cath Dubh or The Ocean again?????

njelevation06 said:
Party Girl is a b-side and it was played 3 times this tour ...

Who knows, maybe during an outdoor show when it rains they may play Summer Rain, , , YOU NEVER KNOW

The one time you can use the word never and be right...

I hadn't stopped to think that it is stadium tours this time around in Europe, maybe I will get lucky.

njelevation06 said:

Exactly. Summer Rain would be cool, I'm not referring just to that song now but I'm sure they'll play one or two B-sides over here. After all, Europe get the best shows...:wink:

It's time for U2 to play "Pete the Chop" live and I won't take "no" for an answer. :angry: :wink:

Melon

MTEdge said:

The only exception to that rule (as far as I know) is Wild Honey, which was performed maybe 3 times. It was hardly played because it sunk like a lead balloon live. :huh:

11 actually.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom