Has One become a 'catch-all' song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
She made the song into a power-ballad.

It's not a power-ballad.

What if she covered 'With Or Without You', a song famous for it's epic buildup, instead? What if rather then start quietly and subtley, like the song is supposed to, she started the vocal acrobatics immediatly with 'see the stone set in your eyes/see the thorn twist in your sides/I wait for you'? Would you really be able to enjoy the song if the lines that are supposed to be quiet(relatively speaking) are all of sudden screamed? I wouldn't.

Utoo said:

Dude, you like the song, that's fine. I don't. Why isn't that fine? Why must you assume that I don't like the song because 1). I don't like change, 2). I may be racist (though you'd never throw that out there), 3). I'm closed-minded, 4). I think that 'One' should never be touched, and 5). I've built up imaginary cultural walls? :confused:

You like the song. I don't. My reasons? I believe that the power of 'One' lies in its subtlety. Like many of U2's greatest songs, the energy builds and builds, but never completely reaches climax. With MJB's version, she blows her load on the very first run of vocal acrobatics.

Would I like covers of it? Sure. I love Johnny Cash's cover of it. Why? Because he keeps the subtlety that makes the song strong, and you can palpably feel the hurt in his voice. It has nothing to do with him being white. Nothing to do with hating hip-hop and liking country (I dislike most country music). Nothing to do with culture.

You like the song. I don't. Why am I suddenly an ignorant idiot?

:up:

I actually thought the version on the Grammy's wasn't too bad. I enjoyed it, but mostly Bono's part. I just don't like Mary J.'s style of singing, especially on that song. it's just not my thing. :shrug:

prmdbr said:

This is a decent analysis however, One does climax, specifically in the live versions.

With both the album and the live versions, you don't reach any kind of climax until the very end, as opposed to MJB's version, which skyrockets within the first minute. Moreover, I'd argue that with the album version, any "climax" isn't reached until the falsetto at the very end...and even then, because of the key, it doesn't quite fully feel like a full climax, at least to me.

The Rattle and Hum version of ISHFWILF is full of vocal runs, see Bono, et al.

Actually, Bono doesn't sing a single run in that version. It's all the backing choir. That version is pretty good, though IMO once they get to the second or third repeat of the chorus and add layer upon layer of runs, it gets repetitive. The last minute and a half of that version is boring, IMO.

There just seems to be a negative vibe about this duet yet, no one seems to be able to "critically" explain why they don't like it.

Didn't I just offer my "critical" reasoning in my last post? :confused: That's the real problem that occurs on this board---if someone's argument disagrees with your own views, you don't believe that argument to be sound. Opinions that differ from your own are based on faulty reasoning. If there aren't a half-dozen paragraphs explaining why someone likes or doesn't like something, that person hasn't provided sufficient reason for their opinion. (By the way, by merely saying, "The Bono / Mary J Blige version of One is a fabulous presentation of the song. It transcends simple rock and R&B and showcases a different spin on a classic U2 song. I applaud this," you didn't really offer much more critical reasoning than I did :eyebrow: ). In all honesty, people really don't even have to offer any backing for their opinions...they should just be allowed to have them.

I agree, there has been a negative vibe about the MJB version of the song. There are probably a million reasons why different people don't like it. Every single one of those reasons is allowed. I don't think your opinion is 'wrong' at all. The problem I have is when you decided to assume what other people's reasons were, criticize people for not colorfully illustrating their reasons, and then talking down to us as if we haven't "seen the light" of your wondrous ways of thought.

I agree with what utoo said, that she took the subtlety of the song and killed it by screaming as soon as she got on. It's not a good version of the song because of it.

Utoo said:

I believe that the power of 'One' lies in its subtlety. Like many of U2's greatest songs, the energy builds and builds, but never completely reaches climax. With MJB's version, she blows her load on the very first run of vocal acrobatics.

You don't consider the "did I ask too much..." and onward lines the climax of studio version?

Different singer, different vocal take. Joe Cocker did it (now that I consider a bad cover), Johnny Cash did it, Mary J Blige did it. :shrug:

U2girl said:

You don't consider the "did I ask too much..." and onward lines the climax of studio version?

No. Musically, I think it's still building at that point. It's louder volume-wise, but hasn't yet reached the musical peak that the music sets its sights on at the beginning & throughout.

Utoo said:

No. Musically, I think it's still building at that point. It's louder volume-wise, but hasn't yet reached the musical peak that the music sets its sights on at the beginning & throughout.

I was referring to the singing, not the music.

U2girl said:

I was referring to the singing, not the music.

Me, too. I wrote "musically" to encompass all things "musical"--the tempo, the progression, the singing, etc.....as opposed to just the volume or the ideas presented in the story of the song.

Vocally, all of that part is still building. they don't really let it rip until the falsetto at the very end. Even then, half the time I think they've reached it there, and half the time I feel it leaves you wanting more, your heart still racing.

Last edited:
You think? I awalys saw these lines as the climax of the song.

Did I ask too much
More than a lot
You gave me nothing
Now it`s all I got

We`re one
But we`re not the same
We hurt each other
Then we do it again

You say
Love is a temple
Love a higher love
Love is a temple
Love the higher law
You ask me to enter
But then you make me crawl
And I can`t be holding on
To what you got
When all you got is hurt

One love
One blood
One life
You got to do what you should

One life
With each other
Sisters
Brothers

:shrug:

Those lyrics are half the song... To me, a climax isn't half the song. A climax is a point in the song. He's building up for almost all of those lyrics.....definitely not at a "climax" in those first two stanzas there, and still building for the rest.

He's closest in that middle section (EDIT: as you point out below:) ). However, even though those are the most "climactic" lines that they have in the song, to me, they're still not fully at the point that they're building to. Imagine the song like it's a rising graph, with the line determined by what the music and vocals are climbing toward. The last few lyrics are closest of all to that line, but they're not quite there.

Whatever...that's how I see it. Like I said, everyone gets their own opinion, and that one's mine. No hard feelings. :hug: :wink:

Last edited:
Fair enough, everyone has an opinion.

:hmm: That was a long pick for the climax, I guess I'd pick these,

Love is a temple
Love a higher love
Love is a temple
Love the higher law

I wanted to say, though, that if MJ Blige's version is over-the-top singing (screaming), I can certainly think of another singer that is known to belt it out. (and the same song, same lines, even)

I would like to offer my two cents on the song. I think the mjb version is alright I guess but my real hope is that it turns more people to U2 and especially their underplayed early material (Boy esp).

As far as the climax of one I agree with U2girl, that the part when Bono sings:

Love is a temple
Love a higher love
Love is a temple
Love the higher law

is the climax, the meat of the song

That part in the mjb version is what makes me cringe most when she sings it. It just doesn't do the original justice.

Finally I would like to hear the Johnny Cash version of one and decide for myself. If someone does have it in their digital collection I would appreciate it. mediaman44@gmail.com

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom