Has it ever been on record that U2 has at the least mingled with Paul, Ringo, etc.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
Has any memeber of U2 ever been known to have met or hung out with Paul McCartney, Ringo, or Eric Clapton. These guys are rock legends but I don't think I've ever read about them mingling with those guys. Maybe the Edge met Clapton during the Yardbirds HOF induction or something. But I always get the impression Bono, Edge, Larry, or Adam never really met McCartney or Ringo or Clapton. Someone prove me wrong?

I was wondering about this considering Bono and co. are friends with Townsend and co., they've encountered Freddie Mercury and such, got to know Page and Plant, recorded with Dylan, hung out with Springsteen, mingled with Prince, recorded with Robbie Robertson, hung out with Van Morrison, etc. Yet I don't think I've ever heard McCartney refer to U2. Neither Ringo. Anyone hear any stories?

Last edited:
I've heard a few odds and ends about U2/McCartney, and they contradict each other a bit.

-I believe Bono was invited to McCartney's wedding in Ireland a few years ago

- I just read a few day's ago on some other board that McCartney was asked a few years ago who's out there that he think it'd be interesting to work with. He replied that after sharing a mic with him at Live aid, He'd like to work with Bono. I could probably find the post if I looked.

-A few weeks ago i read that Bono and Paul McCartney were at a function together in a small room and they didn't even agknowledge each other. I can't recall if that was recent though.

Well I don't know about Ringo or Macca, but I don't think U2 would have ever wanted to hang with George Harrison when he was alive. In an interview, George Harrison once said that groups such as U2 and the Spice Girls would be forgotten in 30 years, they aren't a true group like the Beatles. Bono publicly fired back at this statement. Bear in mind, this interview happened in the 90's, after U2 had released their classic albums. Plus how can ANYONE put ANYONE down with the Spice Girls?

George Harrison :blahblah:

Earnie Shavers said:
There are/were rumours of bad blood between McCartney and Bono for a long time.

Hmmmm.....interesting. Any further details?

I did get an impression they weren't exactly buddies but it was no more than an impression mind.

Infinitum98 said:
Well I don't know about Ringo or Macca, but I don't think U2 would have ever wanted to hang with George Harrison when he was alive. In an interview, George Harrison once said that groups such as U2 and the Spice Girls would be forgotten in 30 years, they aren't a true group like the Beatles. Bono publicly fired back at this statement. Bear in mind, this interview happened in the 90's, after U2 had released their classic albums. Plus how can ANYONE put ANYONE down with the Spice Girls?

George Harrison :blahblah:

Please bear in mind that George was ill when he made those comments.

Edge and Paul played a few songs together a year or so back at some benefit in the UK. There are pictures of them playing geetar and singing into the same mike.

George Harrison rules, even if he was an old fogey always complaining for the new young rock stars to turn that racket down and get off his damn lawn:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noel_Gallagher#Public_persona sez:

When George Harrison accused Oasis of being little more than a passing fad Noel commented "George was always the quiet Beatle, maybe he should keep that up" (this however, was not as threatening as his brother's promise to play golf off of Harrison's head should they ever meet).
Of course, Bono's musical tastes suck too.

The George Harrison stuff is well known/ old news IMO. I've read on this forum outside the whole "20 years thing" was that during the whole Beatles Anthology thing, he mentioned wanting to show up U2 or something.

You know the funny thing about that whole Harrison vs U2 thing, was when Harrison died, some news channel had Bono on the program to sort of give like a postive passing thought for George Harrison (b/c he just died). Bono said some of the usual nice stuff or something and then mentioned how Harrison didn't like U2. LOL. I thought that was hilarious for some reason.

xtal said:
George Harrison died?

Somehow i think George would have been amused by this post :wink: In a positiv way ofcourse.

Isn't it a pity
Isn't is a shame
How we break each other's hearts
And cause each other pain
How we take each other's love
Without thinking anymore
Forgetting to give back
Isn't it a pity

- George

Paul McCartney performed a rendition of 'Sgt.Pepper' with U2 at the London Live 8 in 2005.

why did I think Harrison died of brain cancer?

"Harrison's death was ascribed to lung cancer that had metastasised to the brain."

very sad.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom