Has Bono's campaigning gotten any measurable results?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBrau1

ONE love, blood, life
I'm well aware of his campagning increasing media exposure on said issues.

Hell, even my 60 year old Mom has said "he really seems to care."

Beyond media exposue, has any of this shit worked?

There are some brilliant people here who've paid alot more attention to this than I have.

I'd love to hear from you.

Hell, we all would.

As a collective work, I'd say yes.

Bono got DATA thru the door, so I'd give him at least that one credit for helping. Measurable results? Well the US tripled aid and other countries have increased aid and debt relief as well, but I am unsure of exact numbers.

Would the US have tripled aid to Africa without the influence of DATA and other groups? I don't know. Probably not, is a good guess, but that's not based on any hardcore fact.

Also he went to work on the US polticians personally, using his name and face to get in the door, to introduce DATA's plan for debt relief and it worked. I don't have exact numbers but the debt of some dozen or so African countries were washed away because of this work, a collective.

I think his campaigning, along with others DATA and all teh rest including Clinton's group have indeed had measurable results, but I'm not sure any of it is attributale to DATA or Bono by themselves.

I think DATA and Bono have probably done more than anyone else, but that might just be the opinon of a short sighted U2 fan. I don't see many 'activists' of any sort meeting with President Bush, much less more than one on Africa.

Someone else can give you a more detailed answer, I'm sure.

"I think DATA and Bono have probably done more than anyone else"

You are actually correct, U2DMfan.

I don't have much time right now because I'm attending a conference on Africa given by African professors at my campus today, so let me just say this.

I have beeen an activist for Africa for over twenty-five years, going back to the beginnings of the anti-apartheid movement of the 1980's. And next that movement, the international white band movement - of which ONE is a member - there has been NO other more effective social movement for social change in the last generation. :yes:

DATA and Bono worked behind the scenes to establish the PEPFAR law (Pres. Bush's anti-AIDS initiative) and have worked tirelessly with Congress ever since the law was passed by Congress in 2003 to fund the program every year.

DATA worked personally with Condi Rice to establish the MCA (Millenium Challenge Account) which analysts have hailed as a BRILLIANT program but which CONGRESS HAVE CONSISTENTLY UNDERFUNDED.

Right now, over 400,000 people throughtout Africa are on life-prolonging ARV therapies because of the programs that Bono has worked hard to establish and fund in developed countries. :up:

There are other statistics of success of Bono's/DATA's/ONE's efforts that I don't have the time to go into right now.

Later on I'll provide some more info on the FACTUAL SUCCESSES OF BONO'S EFFORTS FOR AFRICA. :wink:

Well, I don't have a lot of time this weekend as I'm attending a conference on Africa this weekend at my university.

But here is a GREAT link which explains in details Pres. Bush's PEPFAR program which Bono and DATA worked so hard to put together with the Bush adminstration and get passed through Congress.

This program is far from perfect but it's better than no program at all.

Every year Global AIDS activists have to fight hard to get the money to fund these programs, but that's OK - people's lives and futures are being saved in Africa.

And Bono is the spark that has ignited these programs.

http://www.avert.org/pepfar.htm

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Good to see that Bono's efforts are getting places. It's definitely a cause that needs to be looked at and delt with. I'm happy U2 can make such incredible music, put on such a fantastic show, and still have a lead singer busting his "arse" for worthwhile things. :up:
BEST BAND EVER

:in before the "Bush suX!" & "i cant believe Bono wants help from the Devil" comments:

Jamila said:
Well, I don't have a lot of time this weekend as I'm attending a conference on Africa this weekend at my university.

But here is a GREAT link which explains in details Pres. Bush's PEPFAR program which Bono and DATA worked so hard to put together with the Bush adminstration and get passed through Congress.

This program is far from perfect but it's better than no program at all.

Every year Global AIDS activists have to fight hard to get the money to fund these programs, but that's OK - people's lives and futures are being saved in Africa.

And Bono is the spark that has ignited these programs.

http://www.avert.org/pepfar.htm

:bono: :heart: :heart: :hug:

Thanks Jamila. Useful stuff.

Re: Re: Has Bono's campaigning gotten any measurable results?

WalkOn21 said:
His environment efforts most likely didn't.

Unfortunately, WalkOn21, I have oftened comsidered the amount of electrical energy that is necessary to pull off one of these elaborate U2 shows and I do cringe for the environment.

That's one reason why I don't support the tours by going to gadzillions of them.

U2 could do just as effective and memorable a show with half the elctrical output they use nowadays.

And thanks, Mr.Brau - I also appreciate positive words here at Interference. ;)

Back
Top Bottom