Has anyone ever played Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree together?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theu2fly

Refugee
Start of Unforgettable Fire, finish with MLK, then MLK segues into Streets and play the full Joshua Tree album?

Has anyone ever done this? I would be very interested to hear how that sounded.

There was a thread about this a while ago, actually. I think it's a good flow.

Another cool transition is the end of POP, "Wake Up Dead Man", the most hopeless song in the U2 repertoir...and then "Beautiful Day" comes rising from the ashes. After WUDM, it seemed like to only way go to was upbeat. You couldn't go any darker.

ozeeko said:
Another cool transition is the end of POP, "Wake Up Dead Man", the most hopeless song in the U2 repertoir...and then "Beautiful Day" comes rising from the ashes. After WUDM, it seemed like to only way go to was upbeat. You couldn't go any darker.

:up: :up: :up:

That was a fantastic turnaround by the band! Both songs are brilliant in their own way!

theu2fly said:
Start of Unforgettable Fire, finish with MLK, then MLK segues into Streets and play the full Joshua Tree album?

I have before. It's almost a surreal experience. If you just sit there and listen to both albums in a row they really take you to another place and I end up appreciating both albums more somehow. And I love how MLK segues perfectly into Streets.

Has anyone listened to all of U2's albums in a row? :wink:

Re: Re: Has anyone ever played Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree together?

AtomicBono said:

I have before. It's almost a surreal experience. If you just sit there and listen to both albums in a row they really take you to another place and I end up appreciating both albums more somehow. And I love how MLK segues perfectly into Streets.

I think you'd die from Awesomeness... does the Passengers:OST Project count?

I would love to try that one day... but for now i'll have to settle with Unforgettable Fire/Joshua Tree

just Mothers of the Dissapeared isnt an amazing way to end the journey (not my favourite song on Joshua Tree)

theu2fly said:

it sounds incredible.
actually, I always mix Joshua Tree and Unforgettable Fire for a playlist when I'm driving at night. :up:

that background drone in MLK into the intro of Streets... :drool:

AtomicBono said:

I came pretty close.

I was reading Into The Heart. the book about all the descriptions on what the U2 songs may mean, while I listened to each of the songs. Although I didn't have the Passengers/Million Dollar Hotel CD's so I skipped those. I think they were included in the book, im not sure. But I basically listened to almost every song back to back. It was tiring, and got boring during War and ATYCLB :uhoh:

No offense to those album's fans. :wink:

TUF into JT is so seamless - almost music (shall we say) Nirvana

AtomicBono said:

I have. When I went to the show in Minneapolis last September (first U2 show:combust:, absolutely amazing, btw), it was an 18 hour drive, so we listened to every album and then moved on to b-sides and stuff. It definitely gives you a whole new appreciation for their musical and artistic development and shifts over the last 25 years or so.:yes:

I listened to all of them in a row before. Of course, at that time POP was their latest offering.

Re: Re: Re: Has anyone ever played Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree together?

catlhere said:

I came pretty close.

I was reading Into The Heart. the book about all the descriptions on what the U2 songs may mean, while I listened to each of the songs. Although I didn't have the Passengers/Million Dollar Hotel CD's so I skipped those. I think they were included in the book, im not sure. But I basically listened to almost every song back to back. It was tiring, and got boring during War and ATYCLB :uhoh:

No offense to those album's fans. :wink:

I did this with a similar band. One day I sat in the park with a giant book about some 60's band, while listening to their greatest hits from front to back. I have been a Beatlemaniac ever since that day. I'd say it was a turning point in my life so far :)

yeahhh i love the MLK --> Streets
(as they did during their superbowl half time show!! <3 probably one of the best versions of streets EVER)

i used to hate TUF, and a while back when the other thread like this came up, tried it, and oh my god, it when all the way to number 3 on my general list, behind Joshua/Achtung

Well, they did do MLK/Streets at the SB in 2002, and you barely even knew the songs changed.

What I really like to do is listen to Rattle & Hum and Achtung Baby in row. It ends nice and quiet with All I Want Is You. Then all of a sudden, the opening riff of Zoo Station kicks in. It's amazing.

theu2fly said:

umm if you're interested in hearing how it sounds why dont you give it a try :huh: :der:

all of u2s records work that way for me. i even once made a playlist with the first and last tracks from each album in a row.

i agree that wudm into bd is a great transition, not just because of darkness into lightness but because of lyrical similarities...

in WUDM, the lyrics go "LISTEN TO THE reed in the saxophone LISTEN TO THE hum of the radio... etc"

and BD goes "SEE THE bedouin fires at night, SEE THE oil fields at first light"

very similar.
interesting to think that LISTENING results in such a bleak outlook, while SEEING results in such a positive one.

Ok U2Fly - it sounds good. I was bored and fused the live (bootleg)versions - here's what the transition sounds like:

http://download.you sendit.com/E9E3E20D071106BA

Last edited:
tuwie said:
yeahhh i love the MLK --> Streets
(as they did during their superbowl half time show!! <3 probably one of the best versions of streets EVER)
That whole show was brilliant, THE best Superbowl Halftime Show ever! Even people who aren't big fans of the band liked the show. And yes, the segue from MLK to Streets was just incredible. :up:

Back
Top Bottom