Has Achtung Baby dated??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

financeguy

ONE love, blood, life
Okay, I'll explain. For quite a while, I considered AB U2's best album, with Joshua running a very close second. Achtung was the album that first got me into U2, and I still think it's brilliant - definitely in my Top 3.

HOWEVER, recently it has occured to me that the album has dated just ever so slightly. What I mean is that, listening to it, it's very much "the sound of U2 in 1991" or even "the sound of rock music in 1991". In other words, it shows its age, just a tad.

The reason I now rate Joshua Tree higher is principally that, this album never tried to be modern, or trendy, or current, in the first place, therefore it's not capable of dating. There's no complicated technology on it, nothing remotely faddish, it could have been released in 1967 or 1977 and would still sound brilliant. Our impressions of it today would, I feel, be the same, had it been released in '67 or '77.

That said, LYRICALLY, I think Achtung Baby has the slight edge over The Joshua Tree, but musically, and conceptually, I reckon Joshua is a better album.

Thoughts?

nope, it's still single :wink:

EDIT: to be serious, i think you're right. everything from that era sounds so dated. i think if you didn't know the release dates, you'd still be able to (more or less) discern what years the 90s albums were released.

i think the only albums they've released thus far that are - to an extent - ageless are the joshua tree, all that you..., and maybe atomic bomb. we'll have to see on the last one though.

Last edited:
KhanadaRhodes said:
nope, it's still single :wink:

I probably should have foreseen a response like that. We don't really use the expression 'dating' that much on this side of the pond, usually it's referred to as "going out" with someone or "seeing" someone. Anyway, back on topic....

KhanadaRhodes said:

i think the only albums they've released thus far that are - to an extent - ageless are the joshua tree, all that you..., and maybe atomic bomb. we'll have to see on the last one though.

I'd agree that it's still too early to judge Atomic Bomb, it'd probably be in my top 5 but I think it'll date well. We shall see.

financeguy said:
That said, LYRICALLY, I think Achtung Baby has the slight edge over The Joshua Tree, but musically, and conceptually, I reckon Joshua is a better album.

That's funny, cos I think the opposite is true. Lyrically, almost every song on JT is amazing. Achtung seems more to me about the lyrics AND music, the complete experience. You've got fantastic lyrics (Acrobat, UTEOTW, So Cruel.. you know which ones :wink: ) combined with great riffs and guitar solos (EBTTRT, Fly, Zoo Station....). Achtung to me is taking the genius of Joshua Tree and making it into one hell of a show. I'm tempted to quote Floyd here.

So ya thought ya might like to go to the show
To feel the warm thrill of confusion, the space cadet glow.

(kinda sorta somewhat like JT is to Achtung what Animals was to The Wall :shrug: )

But Achtung Baby has dated a bit, unlike Zooropa or Pop IMO. :|

blueeyedgirl said:
:bow: Khanada.

I don't know, I've heard it's been behind the bicycle sheds a few times.......

:wink:

This is a SERIOUS THREAD, and it should be treated with the seriousness that it deserves!!:wink:

Re: Re: Has Achtung Baby dated??

Zootlesque said:

That's funny, cos I think the opposite is true. Lyrically, almost every song on JT is amazing. Achtung seems more to me about the lyrics AND music, the complete experience. You've got fantastic lyrics (Acrobat, UTEOTW, So Cruel.. you know which ones :wink: )

But wouldn't you agree that the CONCEPTS on JT are more wide ranging? Whereas AB has, comparatively speaking, a conceptually narrow focus (i.e., it's largely about desire and lust and that whole business, given the context of it's being recorded around the time Edge was going through a separation)?

Re: Re: Re: Has Achtung Baby dated??

financeguy said:

(i.e., it's largely about desire and lust and that whole business,

:hmm: Yeah............you may be right about the concept.

Re: Re: Re: Has Achtung Baby dated??

financeguy said:

But wouldn't you agree that the CONCEPTS on JT are more wide ranging? Whereas AB has, comparatively speaking, a conceptually narrow focus (i.e., it's largely about desire and lust and that whole business, given the context of it's being recorded around the time Edge was going through a separation)?

How does having a narrow focus make it a dated album? I strongly disagree that Achtung Baby sounds dated. Themes of love and longing and betrayal are timeless. You could listen to those songs at any time in your life, and they will still apply.

WinnieThePoo said:
everything's dated

I would agree with this. When I listen to any of their 80s album its so clear to me that it was made in the 80s. The aesthetic of the albums is obvious 80s that sometimes it makes me sick. The same can be said about 90s U2 and I think the same will be able to be said about 00s U2. Its just that they reflect the time in which they were made. I don't see anything negative in it. 70s rock is very obvious as well as 60s rock. I don't think any album is timeless in that it can't be heard when it was made, but that doesn't make any of it bad.

I think it's stood up very well over the years. At the time of its release, it was musically and lyrically sophisticated - ahead of its time, really - and maybe that's why it stood up so well? That said, I think most of their catalogue has, starting with JT, and then moving on to the 90's material.

This is the Australian Top 40 as of today, dated 19/04/05. Everything in this top 40 will be dated in a few months. Achtung Baby is timeless.

BEAUTIFUL SOUL Jesse McCartney
1, 2 STEP Ciara
CANDY SHOP 50 Cent
SWITCH Will Smith
ALMOST HERE Delta Goodrem and Brian McFadden
THE SPECIAL TWO EP Missy Higgins
LET ME LOVE YOU Mario
GIVING YOU UP Kylie Minogue
LONELY NO MORE Rob Thomas
IT'S LIKE THAT Mariah Carey
RICH GIRL Gwen Stefani
GET RIGHT Jennifer Lopez
RAIN / BRIDGE OVER TROUBLED WATER Anthony Callea
OOH AAH Tamara Jaber
STOP THE MUSIC P-Money
SHUT UP Simple Plan
SINCE YOU'VE BEEN GONE Kelly Clarkson
EVIE PARTS 1, 2 & 3 The Wrights
WHY DO YOU LOVE ME Garbage
OVER AND OVER Nelly feat. Tim McGraw
WHATEVER WILL BE Tammin
DO SOMETHIN' Britney Spears
MIDAS TOUCH Midnight Star
HOLIDAY Green Day
HE WASN'T Avril Lavigne
SHIVER Natalie Imbruglia
IS SHE REALLY GOING OUT WITH HIM? Kid Courageous
OH OH Guy Sebastian
NASTY GIRL Nitty
SOLDIER Destiny's Child
CAUGHT UP Usher
I JUST WANNA LIVE Good Charlotte
SOMEONE'S WATCHING OVER ME Hilary Duff
DROP IT LIKE IT'S HOT Snoop Dogg
HOW WE DO The Game
OVER Lindsay Lohan
SLY The Cat Empire
LA LA Ashlee Simpson
FALLING STAR Sunset Strippers
LOVERS AND FRIENDS Lil Jon & The Eastside Boyz Feat. Usher & Ludacris
NEXT BEST SUPERSTAR Melanie C
LIKE TOY SOLDIERS Eminem
STAR2FALL Cabin Crew
IN THE SUMMERTIME Thirsty Merc
I SEE GIRLS (CRAZY) Studio B
OH MY GOSH Basement Jaxx
TAKE ME AWAY Stonebridge
JERK IT OUT Caesars
NASTY GIRL Inaya Day
DARE YOU TO MOVE Switchfoot

Achtung Baby is not timeless. It is dated. Everything is. Everything is a product of when it was produced. But - something can have 'timeless themes' and 'timeless qualities.' Romeo and Juliet holds up even though it's 'dated' because the themes it touches on are universal, and love ages well. Plus it's really, really well-written.

Achtung Baby will continue to age well because it is extremely well-made. But it is dated, as is every other U2 album.

-Miggy

Sken, that top 40 made my eyes bleed.

What has this country come to?

Axver said:
Sken, that top 40 made my eyes bleed.

The entire state of music, with a few worthy exceptions, makes baby Jesus cry. It's sad, really. :sad:

Fortunately, I can envelope myself in the world of U2 and forget the rest. :wink:

[
Its really sad isnt it. I'm thinking about taking over a tiny island and inviting only a few select people. Who's up for a boat ride?

Last edited:
financeguy said:

I probably should have foreseen a response like that. We don't really use the expression 'dating' that much on this side of the pond, usually it's referred to as "going out" with someone or "seeing" someone.

...I tend to use a different word for it myself....:ohmy:

Sken said:
[
Its really sad isnt it. I'm thinking about taking over a tiny island and inviting only a few select people. Who's up for a boat ride?

Have fun on your island. Meanwhile, I shall over-run the rest of the world, and along with declaring myself dictator, I shall appoint myself the official arbiter of taste.

Watch out for Bad to appear on the top 10 charts within a month!

Axver said:
Have fun on your island. Meanwhile, I shall over-run the rest of the world, and along with declaring myself dictator, I shall appoint myself the official arbiter of taste.

Watch out for Bad to appear on the top 10 charts within a month!
shit!!

*runs after sken* hey!! is it too late to hop on your boat??

I agree to a point that everything is dated or will be dated. I think AB may sound dated to some U2 fans because that's what they use to define U2's 90's sound. But outside that context I don't think it's more dated than any other album.

In fact I've heard bands that are coming up through the ranks in the past few years who've reference AB as the musical Bible to which music will be based on. We'll see.

So what if Achtung dated??
Achtung still is and always will be my and most u2 fans' best album.
Joshua has it's moments, in fact if you don't have it, what are you waiting for?, but still that crap of Trip through your wires just kills it, no words more, KILLS IT!!!
That's why i dislike that period of history, because U2 had to make a mistake in other than that perfect album and had to be "INFLUENCED" by American country music, blues music and all.
Why didn't they make Great balls of fire II instead of God part II?

Achtung has it's mistake and it's called So cruel, but it's still better than Trip through your wires:madspit: :madspit: :madspit: :mad:

Back
Top Bottom