Hardcore fans who say newer albums suck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

theu2fly

Refugee
Aren't real fans.

Any true fan of U2 appreciates any album the band puts out, despite the public's reaction.

I remember people saying All That You Can't Leave Behind was horrible. Granted I don't listen to it a lot now, but I did back then. I thought it was a great album full of great songs, really good work, same with Bomb.

Any true fan splurges over any newly released material.

i love when people try to define who the "true" fans are

in case you couldnt tell, i was being sarcastic, i dont love it

theu2fly said:
Aren't real fans.

Any true fan of U2 appreciates any album the band puts out, despite the public's reaction.

I remember people saying All That You Can't Leave Behind was horrible. Granted I don't listen to it a lot now, but I did back then. I thought it was a great album full of great songs, really good work, same with Bomb.

give me a break.

I don't listen to half of ATYCLB or Passengers, so I'm not a real fan of their music. :coocoo:

are you trying to start trouble or are you testing your Human Dictionary skills?:shrug:

Last edited:
Man, I'm a fan of the newer sound myself (mainly HTDAAB), but as you can probably see from the posts before mine, you really shouldn't try to define what being a "true fan" entails. It reeks of pomposity and, to put it blunty, is very annoying and inconsiderate of other people's individual tastes.

Not to mention the idea that one has to like everything the band puts out to be a "true fan" is utterly ridiculous.

besides, shouldnt this:

theu2fly said:
Granted I don't listen to it a lot now, but I did back then.

tell you something?

Hell I loved ATYCLB when it came out too, listened to it all the time. But now I can't really even bring myself to listen to it much, if at all. It really hasn't stood the test of time for me, and thus, in my opinion, makes it one of their weaker efforts.

Re: Re: Re: Hardcore fans who say newer albums suck...

theu2fly said:

It doesn't have to be an album, but more like a song.

wave.jpg

Just stop and back away gracefully.

Any TRUE fan would love every single song they put out/have every single/know every b-side/go to
every concert/wait all night in line/never take a bathroom break/wait outside for an autograph/
travel to Dublin to see them/wait outside their houses/respect their privacy and stay the hell away/
own every DVD/have a 1029387232 post count on Interference/know Edge's show size/know Larry's brand of hair gel/
vote for them in every poll/never dance with Bono more than once/do everything in their power to
get onstage with Bono/know all Bono's One speeches by heart/own every piece of tour merchandise
ever made/build an online shrine to them listing the prerequisites for being a "true fan"/have I missed anything?

Don't you people know that? GOSH :|

Last edited:
Everybody has their own tastes in music, even though I love all their songs, Bonos lyrics, I listen to War the least, I jump between POP, HTDAAB, UF & JT. But have almost worn out my disc of HTDAAB since the first day it came out.:ohmy:

Isn't hardcore non-true fan an oxymoron? :huh:

I think a true fan is one who likes the band's music. Doesn't have to love every single thing (doesn't even have to like every single album, and can absolutely hate Bono's sunglasses or Larry's hair too :ohmy: ), but should generally like the music.

I think you guys are missing the point here. There is a difference between a fan and what the topic creator is calling the hardcore fan. There is no doubt we are all fans, but I think the topic creator is labelling the hardcore fans as sheep who love everything that U2 loves, OR the people who actually do legitamately love what the band has done.

Or something. :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow:

theu2fly said:
Aren't real fans.

I wouldn't go that far but just to be fair theu2fly did say "Appreciates any album the band puts out", not Love, or declare a masterpiece. Probably anyone who likes U2 enough to register for a forum can find SOMETHING they like on any given album . Theres a big difference between appreciating something and blindly loving it.

I was a fan when R and H and Pop came out and I didn't like either nearly as much as their best stuff, but there was still stuff I dug on both. There's also stuff from them that I haven't listened to in years.

:shrug:

I'm still a fan

It's not unusual for me to strongly like and dislike same U2 album from time to time, I guess it depends on mood and theme of the time. Each album connects in very unique way, thats the beauty of U2. However I don't know what kind of fan this makes me.

Re: Re: Hardcore fans who say newer albums suck...

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:

I'm still a fan

Yeah, you're a fan -- a fake one!! :madspit:

:wink:

I'm a wicked hardcore fan! I'm in love with moobs! :happy:

Oh I'm not in pleba I forgot. :drool:

If you don't have all the albums, then you are truly the suckiest fan that ever lived.
GrumpyWife.gif

Last edited:
theu2fly said:
Aren't real fans.

Dude, all I want to know is who put you in charge? Seriously.

While I strongly disagree with what the thread starter suggests, this makes me want to say something that's been bothering me for a while. I think the banner should more be like this...
peeon_U2.jpg

I feel that the whole "sheep" persecution is just out of hand in this forum in particular. There is a sense of condescension towards people that may not find fault in what U2 does. i'll go as far as to say their are signs I see here and there that if you aren't part of the "cliq" on this board, you're not really that important. This confuses me because I would think that it would be far better to be a sheep that likes everything U2 does than a arrogant bitter fan who's barely liked shit in the past 6 or so years. If someone is an unwavering fan of something, and is blind to see any flaws, then that is their business just as it is yours (anti-sheep police) to point out the flaws. What is not someone's business is telling the other how to enjoy their passion (in this case, U2) much less make fun of them for it. People have different levels of affection for U2. I like every one of their albums, I don't hate any songs, I like each member equally and I think they are the greatest band of all time. Thus, I can gladly say with no reservations, I am a sheep, and damn proud of it.

:exits before the anti-sheep police get him:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom