Happy U2 News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
I posted this in the "Everything You Know is Wrong" forum, but thought this might be better appreciated here.

Those of you who follow the U.S. Billboard charts may have noticed that U2's ATYCLB fell from the U.S. Billboard Top 100 a few weeks ago. It had remained in the U.S. Top 100 for 40 weeks, which was longer than both "Zooropa" and "POP."

Although it slipped from the Top 100, ATYCLB did not drop lower than #106, suggesting that any type of increased U2 activity (a tour, a new hit song, a U2 appearance) could bring the album back in the Top 100.

And indeed, this happened. U2's VMA appearance shot the album from #104 to #78. Last week's SoundScan data would suggest that at position #78, sales would be close to 19,000 copies. However, Billboard states that there was only a 19% increase in sales, which would put sales at a rather low 16,000 copies (low for position #78). SoundScan tracks activity from Monday through Sunday, so the WTC bombings wouldn't have had an effect on sales at this point. Therefore, I am more prone to believe last week's SoundScan data and estimate sales between 18-19,000 copies.

Either way, this puts ATYCLB back into the Top 100, which now celebrates 41 nonconsecutive weeks there. Also, sales have hit approached (or hit) the 2.82 million mark. It won't be long before ATYCLB is 3x Platinum in the U.S.

The VMA appearance helped more than ATYCLB. "The Best Of" surges from #17 to #5 on the Pop Catalog Billboard charts. This is the highest position the album has ever had on this chart. At #5, sales are approximately 11,000 copies.

Also, for those of you who think it is "easy" to sell out arenas, I encourage you to check this site. It lists the latest concert BoxScore grosses. Note that Janet Jackson, who had a #1 album, a #1 hit song and has a current Top 10 song, failed to sell-out any concerts! For example, in the three shows she had at Chicago's United Center, she sold 31,795 tickets out of a possible 42,219. And this was at the end of July, when summer was in full swing! This, to me, proves that even hot artists or other long-time artists cannot sell out arenas, much less stadiums. For U2 to sell out every single arena (stadium) show is indeed very impressive. Clearly, this is U2's year!

[This message has been edited by doctorwho (edited 09-14-2001).]

Thats good news Doctorwho, and good to see you around! I think it will climb even higher as 'stuck' becomes bigger and the tour kicks in.

Yay!

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------
Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics In The Stew
Happily Not Like Me And You
That's where I lost you....

Sicy's Website

In other "happy" U2 news...

Last night I saw the U.S. version of the "Stuck..." video played at 8:30 p.m. on MTV (Boston time). I was thrilled to see U2 played during prime-time.

I credit the prime-time playing of this video to several reasons:
  • U2's recent VMA performance;
  • U2's winning the Vanguard Award;
  • This is U2's new song;
  • The theme of the song fits in with the mood of the country;
  • People voting for U2 on TRL.

That last point, about voting for U2 on TRL, may be a significant one. Before this horrible tragedy happened, our beloved computer wizard, KevM, created a nice way of voting for "Stuck..." on TRL. Please go here to see the thread discussing how to do this. Essentially, one downloads a small program KevM created and lets it run. In a matter of moments, hundreds of votes will be cast for U2's "Stuck..." on TRL.

This might not get "Stuck..." actually on TRL, but it will encourage MTV to play "Stuck..." especially during prime-time hours.

Voting for U2 here may seem a selfish thing to do in view of what has happened. However, U2's ATYCLB has so many songs that seem to perfectly reflect our thoughts and moods. If these songs can provide someone with a moment of comfort, then I feel we are providing a service.

Docwho-
Not to burst your bubble but I have seen the stuck video 15 times on Mtv in the last three days. No Im not kidding, this is because Mtv is running a loop in their network. I think it is a 3 hour loop. That is why u2 has had their video on so much, well that and the fact that it is an up lifting video which is mostly the type of videos they are playing right now. It is crazy that no body has seen the video as much as me. I cant believe how much I have seen it. If you watch mtv youll notice that incubus is the next video with drive after stuck. I still think its great that they play it so much.

Originally posted by vox626:
Docwho-
Not to burst your bubble but I have seen the stuck video 15 times on Mtv in the last three days. No Im not kidding, this is because Mtv is running a loop in their network. I think it is a 3 hour loop. That is why u2 has had their video on so much, well that and the fact that it is an up lifting video which is mostly the type of videos they are playing right now. It is crazy that no body has seen the video as much as me. I cant believe how much I have seen it. If you watch mtv youll notice that incubus is the next video with drive after stuck. I still think its great that they play it so much.

No bubbles burst.
biggrin.gif

If it is a loop, then YAY! U2 are part of that loop and I'm very happy that the video was shown so often.

However, if this video is ONLY part of a loop, then all the more reason for us to vote for it on TRL - so that it gets played once MTV stops the loop (and I think they have).

Yeah, a 'loop' dosen't necessarily mean bad news or anything. It means that U2 were relevant enough to be in this 'loop' during this awful time. I saw 'walk on' last night also. I wonder if any other videos are getting played as well.

Back
Top Bottom