Happy U.S. Chart News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doctorwho

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
My TARDIS - currently located in Valparaiso, IN
Normally, I'd reserve this post for only the "Where the Album Has a Name" forum, but this news is so good, that I want to post it here as well.
biggrin.gif

U2's ATYCLB was sitting at #108 on the U.S. Billboard charts just three weeks ago. However, thanks to U2's MTV VMA appearance, the new single "Stuck..." and the fact that the songs on ATYCLB help people accept the horrible tragedy of last Tuesday, the album has now sky-rocketed up the charts to #66! The album is declared a "Pacesetter" on this week's albums chart.

In even better news, "Stuck..." finally makes its debut on the U.S. charts. If you recall, "Beautiful Day" was a big hit in the U.S. for U2, reaching #21 on the Hot 100 charts (which is the chart to use to determine how successful a song is in the U.S.). However, despite the fact that "Walk On" and "Elevation" both charted well on other charts (reaching #10 and #8, respectively, on the U.S. Modern Rock Chart), neither song was able to break into the Hot 100.

That string has been broken as "Stuck..." debuts at #62 this week (higher than the debut for "Beautiful Day") on the Hot 100 chart! This gives U2 their second biggest hit off of ATYCLB in the U.S. Congrats to U2!

The question now is how high will "Stuck..." rise on the U.S. charts. It peaked at #2 in the U.K., #3 in Australia and #1 in Ireland. If the song is able to actually - dare I say it - crack the Top 5 in the U.S., Brian Eno just might win his bet afterall! The Canadian charts haven't been updated for a while now, however, the song was at #33 there two weeks ago. So there is hope that "Stuck..." could become yet another worldwide smash for U2.

I'm happy to see U2's album make this charge up the charts again - something that I sadly did not see with "POP." At present, the album has sold approximately 2.84 million copies in the U.S. and should soon be certified as 3x Platinum. Once the album achieves 3x Platinum status, this will out-perform the success of "Zooropa" and "POP" and give U2 their best selling album in the U.S. since "Achtung Baby."

Note: The double CD version of "The Best Of" went Double Platinum, while the single CD version has only reached Platinum status. The combined sales of both versions of "The Best Of" approach what ATYCLB has achieved on its own. Speaking of "The Best Of," that album has charted at #5 on the U.S. Pop Catalog charts - it's highest position - for the last two weeks. U2 just keeps going and going and going...
wink.gif

How do you guys find this stuff out? I'm really interested to know how U2's songs did in the past, but can never find out where to go.

Anyway, I didn't think "Discotheque" made the Top 10...amazing.

The one fact that always amazes me is that, despite it always figuring in the top 20 of polls in the UK for greatest album of the 90s, the millennium, anything like that, Achtung Baby actually never got to #1 in the UK.

Great news, actually 3 days after the tragedy I decided to check the charts cause the major airplay they were getting. It was expected to hit 78 this week but it did even better and went to 66. Wow, completely psyched.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
I like bumping my own threads back to the top.
biggrin.gif

Seriously, I am bumping this just in case some people haven't seen it.

Dr.Who I need a little favor and Iam hoping you can help esp since you're 'thread-hoping' a bit these days.. Apparently there is a fellow named "bastardly" who is saying untoward things about me in another thread in this sec.based on a thread posted by u long ago.(and I think you later removed that pacticular thread). Since that time you've welcomed me into interference,admonished my short -sighted-(somewhat) inconsiderate pre stage launch antics and more or less you and I reached an understanding and "buried the hatchet"-so to speak. Would you be kind enough, Dr. Who and set the record straight?By going to that person's thread? It would be greatly apprceiated.
Thank You.
D
B
PS Click on my story if you havent yet John -Thanks

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

[This message has been edited by diamondbruno9 (edited 09-20-2001).]

Sweet! I really hope Stuck muscles its way into the top 10 on the Hot 100. So, for Stuck to do better than WOWY, it would have to do better in several major world markets. Let's see how they stack up, based on the information I have

US - Stuck #62, WOWY #1
UK - Stuck #2, WOWY #4
Ireland - Stuck #1, WOWY #?
Canada - Stuck #33 (airplay only), WOWY #2
Australia - Stuck #3, WOWY, #?

If anyone can fill in the blanks or provide info for other countries, it would help too.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Actually, instead of WOWY, I would say that U2's "biggest hit ever" (based solely on chart positions) is "Desire." That song reached #1 in the U.K. and #3 in the U.S. (which outperforms WOWY). Another contender is "Discotheque," which reached #1 in the U.K., Ireland, Australia and Canada, and #10 in the U.S.

Doctorwho,

Could you please also post this in the Where The Streets Have No Name forum? That way we have all the chart news complete in one location. There is already a topic about week 46 (yes, yes, I know, it was me who started that topic).

Thank you.

Ciao

Marty
smile.gif

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

The radio stations are also playing Peace on Earth here in western New York.

I thought it might make a run at xmas time.

But now is a good time.

DB9: I have not come across any threads attacking you (most likely because I do not have the time to read every thread). However, if I do read any negative comments by "bastardly" (the moniker says it all, no?), I will certainly defend your honor.

My one and only "problem" with you during that last Boston show wasn't the fact that you lept on stage, but rather you were unconciously a bit rude to those around you. You were literally right in front of me a few times (if you only turned around
wink.gif
) and the constant bumping, stepping on feet, raising of your arms (thus blocking my view) was what bothered those of us around you. However, I realize now (and even a bit then) that I don't believe you were even cognizant of your slightly disruptive behavior. Therefore, I will certainly defend you in other threads.

Also, after the attack on the U.S., I wouldn't try to stage-jump again. This time you might get tackled by a whole bunch of security!
eek.gif

Popmartijn: I most definitely will post this in the "Week 46" thread in the other forum. However, when I do so, I want to provide my usual full report. Therefore, I ask for your continued patience for another day or so. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

Originally posted by mbi16:
Great news, actually 3 days after the tragedy I decided to check the charts cause the major airplay they were getting. It was expected to hit 78 this week but it did even better and went to 66. Wow, completely psyched.

The last four weeks, ATYCLB charted #108-104-78-66 in the U.S. So it did reach #78, just last week.

The Canadian charts have not been fully updated (due to the tragedy) for the last two weeks. However, the airplay charts have. "Stuck..." has had the following run on the Canadian Hits Charts (airplay): #72-47-33-16.

"Elevation" reached #15 on these charts, so "Stuck..." is set to bypass that success (I do not know how high "Beautiful Day" or "Walk On" did on this chart yet).

All of U2's CD singles from ATYCLB have hit #1 on the Canadian CD singles charts. Therefore, once "Stuck..." is released on Canada as a CD single (if it is released), I am sure it will jump to the top of the charts. If "Stuck..." can also make the Top 10 on the Canadian airplay charts, then this just makes Brian Eno that much closer to winning his bet.
biggrin.gif

Popmartijn: I most definitely will post this in the "Week 46" thread in the other forum. However, when I do so, I want to provide my usual full report. Therefore, I ask for your continued patience for another day or so. Thanks!
biggrin.gif

But I can't wait that long! I want to know everything now, Now, NOW!
biggrin.gif

BTW, you are active early! I mean, it's not even 8:00 am in Boston, right?

C ya!

Marty (who still keeps wondering what has happened to Ciao John)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

DB9: I have not come across any threads attacking you (most likely because I do not have the time to read every thread). However, if I do read any negative comments by "bastardly" (the moniker says it all, no?), I will certainly defend your honor.

My one and only "problem" with you during that last Boston show wasn't the fact that you lept on stage, but rather you were unconciously a bit rude to those around you. You were literally right in front of me a few times (if you only turned around
wink.gif
) and the constant bumping, stepping on feet, raising of your arms (thus blocking my view) was what bothered those of us around you. However, I realize now (and even a bit then) that I don't believe you were even cognizant of your slightly disruptive behavior. Therefore, I will certainly defend you in other threads.

Also, after the attack on the U.S., I wouldn't try to stage-jump again. This time you might get tackled by a whole bunch of security!
eek.gif

biggrin.gif

Thank you Dr Who.

The title of the thread is "to All non US Citizens"...in this sec/fourm..fyi
That is good chart news, thanks for posting it.
Even a simple post would suffice,like"For the record folks re DB9 and B#4" or "For all you still attempting to disparge Diamond that were no were close to DB9, (as I was)and for the rec he wasn't that big of a sap...and has been to fan-rehab since-yadie,yadie... I dont know John as you are one of the more "eloquent" ones in these fourms.
A simple post would cover a lot of milage and bring back alot of unity,which is what is needed in the world today and also in the land of Interference.
I should see you at Prov. and have fun at Norte Dame.

Late
D
B

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

Originally posted by Popmartijn:
BTW, you are active early! I mean, it's not even 8:00 am in Boston, right?

C ya!

Marty (who still keeps wondering what has happened to Ciao John)

It's not a matter of me being active early, but rather of being active WAY too late into the night... Sigh...I need another job.

As for that Ciao John guy... amazing how we both like charts...and both went to Notre Dame...and both have the first name of John...very suspicious, no?
wink.gif

To DB9: Actually, I won't be going to ND. As much as I would have loved to see U2 at my alma mater, I will be in Spain from Sept. 27th to Oct. 5th (well, at least those are the days I'm leaving and returning). On Oct. 8th, I have a new person joining my group. Therefore, with the ND concert on the 10th, it's just too much at one time. When I return from my business trip to Spain, I'm sure I'll have tons to do (not to mention training a new person), so no trip for me.

I thought I'd go to Providence, but suddenly, I'm thinking that I might use my Prop. tickets for Vegas! My friends and I were thinking about it and it might be fun! I've never been to Vegas, so what better reason to go than see U2 during Thanksgiving week?
biggrin.gif
I'll decide soon. Hopefully I'll see you at one concert somewhere.
smile.gif

Doctor Who:
That would be so great if you did decide to go to Vegas. I have been following your posts here and also on the old Wire (ah, remember Wire?)and it is always refreshing to read your posts, always the voice of reason and level-headedness (is that a word?)in this crazy U2 world.

Anyway, if you've never been to Vegas, here is the perfect excuse for going. I can honestly say, there is no place like it!

Perhaps the Interferencers here can set up something for the night before the concert as it sounds like a lot of us will be going. It may be the last night of the tour (probably the second to the last night...the last night will probably be LA).

Hope to see you there
biggrin.gif

This is GREAT news, and we all need good news right now! As usual, I have been away for a couple of days so I am just now seeing this.

Thus, back to the top again
wink.gif

HOO-AH!!!!!!!!!

It's about time. What's wrong with the ppl here in the US? Don't they know good music when they hear it?!
smile.gif
Overseas ppl must have better taste or something.

Somebody also told me that the star spangled banner got on the chart again?!

------------------
~*Mona*~
Bono Representative of the Ambassadorship of the World for L.E.A.T.H.E.R.

"There are groups at the top of the charts that are hailed as the saviors of rock 'n' roll...but they are amateurs. They don't know where the music comes from." ~Bob Dylan~

"What you don't have, you don't need it now. What you don't know, you can feel it somehow."~U2~

Originally posted by WildHonee:
HOO-AH!!!!!!!!!

It's about time. What's wrong with the ppl here in the US? Don't they know good music when they hear it?!
smile.gif
Overseas ppl must have better taste or something.

Somebody also told me that the star spangled banner got on the chart again?!

Our KIDS have horrible taste in music right now, looks like they may be coming around though..........

Back
Top Bottom